Link new data to serial of product sold

• Thank you received: 0
9 years 4 months ago #180221

I have a product which is assigned a serial number.

The product can be bought (online) and specific details added through custom order fields. This detail is then included in a picture which is emailed to the customer after their order is received. This is set up and seems to work well.

However, I want the customer to also be able to buy the product and at a later date come back to the site and enter the details and have this information linked to the original serial number which was assigned when the product was first purchased (0nline). Can this be done? If so, how?

The product can also be bought in retail stores with an assigned serial number. I want the customer to be able to go online and enter the details (as mentioned above) and have it linked to the serial number on the item they purchased in the store (not online). Can this be done, If so, how?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
9 years 4 months ago #180229

Hi,

When HikaSerial generate the image thanks to the plugin "attach serial" ; it generate it dynamically using the values in the order.
So if you modify afterwards the order, the new generated images (in email or via download) will use the new values.

So I don't see any incompatibility with your requirement.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

9 years 4 months ago #180260

The problem is that if they buy the product in a shop (not online) the product has the corresponding serial number attached to it (on sticker on the physical product). The customer needs to go online and put in information (to register the product online). How do I enable them to pull up the correct serial number (matching the one on the sticker) and get it connected with their details?

9 years 4 months ago #180292

Hi,

You can use a consumption plugin for HikaSerial and let your customer "consume" the serials of a special pack (for the physical products).
During the consumption, the serial will be modify and attach to the user who consumed it.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

9 years 4 months ago #180410

Hi Jerome. Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I have now set up the consumption plugin using a random generator. I have tested and it is working just as you said. The backend shows it has been used but it hasn't been assigned to the user. Also, I want to collect some information from the customer when they consume the serial. I think I need to set up some custom fields to do this but am not sure how to do this so that it shows up on their monitor when they consume the serial. Can you help me with this?

Thanks for all your help. You do a great job!

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by suew. Reason: serial being consumed and backend shows used but not assigned to the user

9 years 4 months ago #180477

Hi,

You're right.
The HikaSerial consume function from the Serial Class can assign the user to the serial but the serial controller in the front-end does not ask it anymore due to modifications I made for the plugin "group consumer".

In the file "components/com_hikaserial/controllers/serial.php" you can replace

$ret = $serialClass->consume($serial->serial_id, $serial_extra_data, false);
By
$ret = $serialClass->consume($serial->serial_id, $serial_extra_data);
to re-use the default value and the user assignation will be perform.
I will make some modifications for the next HikaSerial build in order to use settings from the pack.

So in the next build you might have some new options in the pack configuration.

About the extra data ; HikaSerial is not using the custom field for that but it's a really good idea.
For the moment you can use a view override for the "serial | consume" view.
Then you can add the inputs you want like that
<input type="text" value="" name="hikaserial[serial_extra_data][my_field]" />

The extra data are stored in the serial during his consumption ; but I will see to use some custom fields.
Could be more interesting to have more defined (for the moment it is very flexible ; maybe too much !)

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

9 years 4 months ago #180597

Hi. Thanks very much. I tried changing the components contoller file as you said. When I tried to consume a serial from frontend I got a blank screen. At the back end the serial was used but not assigned to the customer. I change the code back to the original code and now I get a blank screen whenever I try to consume a serial.

I think what I want to achieve should be very simple. All I want to do is sell a product which will have some registration details attached to it. This can be done in three ways:

1. This product can be bought and the details entered at the time of purchase. This I have done simply by creating custom order fields which are completed at the time of purchase. All good there.

2. The product can be bought online and the customer can enter the details at another time by completing a registration of the product.

3. The product can be bought in a retail outlet with a serial number sticker on it. The serial can be consumed online and the details be completed.

I think that #2 and #3 should be able to be done using a consumable serial. In #2 the custome should be able to purchase the product online and receive an email with the consumble serial and instructions of how to use it to register their details for the particular item(s) purchased. #3 should be easily done by going online and consuming the serial and completing the same details.

Does this make sense to you?
I have spent many hours trying to achieve this. It seems like it should be quite forward and simply done.
Can you help me to achieve my goals in the easiest simplest way?
At the moment I have come to a complete stop because I can't get any consumable serial to work.

9 years 4 months ago #180598

Hi,

If you got a blank page it means that you have a PHP fatal error.
Please check your PHP error log ; you might have added something you shouldn't in the file.
The error log will give you more indication about the incriminated file and the line in that file.

Are you sure that you have restore the "serial | consume" view ? The best is to delete the override in the backend view manager.

I made some modification in HikaSerial today in order to add the new setting for the user assignation.
I did not have to time to perform some tests (I released HikaMarket 1.5.1) so I prefer to not make an HikaSerial 1.8.6 release at 3 in the morning without having test it correctly.
So I think the best will be to do these tests tomorrow morning and release a stable package.
Otherwise I can see to send you a preview package by email ; so you will have the feature and I will be able to finish the open tasks without too much pressure.

I see HikaSerial as a toolbox (like a Swiss army knife) which can do a lot of different things thanks to his plugins.
But it does not have been made to be a product registration system ; by design it can be override to have a similar working but it requires some customization.
And it's not easy to write a documentation for all use-cases ; I can discover new way to use HikaSerial each week.

Like I told you in my previous message, you can extend the consume page in order to add extra fields which will be stored in the serial table.
I think that you put the HTML in the right place.
The best is to replace the line

<input type="text" value="" name="hikaserial[serial_data]"/>
Into
<input type="text" value="" name="hikaserial[serial_data]"/><br />
My field: <input type="text" value="" name="hikaserial[serial_extra_data][my_field]" />
But be sure that you're using the HikaShop view override system in the backend and that you right restored the original view before doing this new modification.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: suew

9 years 4 months ago #180605

Hi. Thanks for your response and help. I really appreciate it. Please don't push yourself too hard... No one should have to still be working at 3am! Thanks for working on the new HikaSerial release. I am happy to wait a few days until you are satisfied that it is a stable release. You've given me a few things to think about and try so I will try some more. Thanks again.

9 years 4 months ago #180688

Hi,

Thanks.

Don't hesitate to mail me if you want a preview version.
I made some tests today and I started the implementation of the feature "serials per order" ; thanks to that feature it will be possible to assign serial (or packs with quantity) to an order.
Plugins will be able to add dynamically serials to an order and the information won't be lost on the "refresh association" events.

So, once this feature will be implemented, I will release HikaSerial 1.9.0 !
It should not be too long, I have a really good idea of what I have to do.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

Moderators: Obsidev
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds