Re: Configure tax in Quebec and Canada

• Thank you received: 3
11 years 6 months ago #70007

Hello all, new Hika Shop user.

I am in proof of concept mode with an online store here in Quebec. We have 2 taxes to apply for sales here in Quebec as has been mentioned a few times in the thread. Also, we will be selling to the USA and the rest of canada...each with different taxation categories.

If I follow the example above and append 2 taxation rates (associated to the quebec zone) to a single tax category, what do I choose under each product? or for the shipping method?

For example: Under each product I MUST CHOOSE ONE AND ONLY ONE tax category...but I will have a few categories as it turns out:

Category for sales here in Quebec
Category for sales outside of Quebec -> the US.
Category for sales outside of Quebec, but in Canada (this one will contain further categories).

Will I only ever need ONE taxation category...and put all my rules (10+) under this one category and have them applied differently according to the zones? If that is the case, what are the different categories for?

Could someone please shed some light?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
11 years 6 months ago #70183

You're right, you just need one tax category....unless your selling products which require different tax rates.
For example, in France, tobacco is taxed much more than other products. Same for alcohol. On the other end, books are taxed with a lower tax rate than other goods.
So if you're selling goods at different rates in the same zone, you will need to be able to distinguish by tax category. In 95% of the cases, you only need one tax category though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: eskimoroll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds