Product page does not load when there are too many variants

• Thank you received: 4
5 years 9 months ago #294163

-- url of the page with the problem -- : menestho.com/online-shop/swimwear/product/lygeia-bikini-top
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.8
-- PHP version -- : 3.4.0
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : All browsers

I have several products with 5 characteristics:
- Size: 5 options
- Fabric 1: 12 options
- Fabric 2: 13 options
- Torso type: 3 selections
- Padded: 2 selections

So a total combination of all those options results to about 4000 variants and when I try to visit the page of the product it doesn't load.
It would seem that when there is a large amount of variants it somehow stalls(?) the server, which returns a cannot load page, contact your administrator message.

I would like to ask how is it possible to have the full range of variants described above without bogging down the server, or if there is a fix for the problem having 4000 variants preventing the page from loading..

Thank you in advance.

Note: Currently I have removed several options from the products limiting them up to 720 variants, but I want to have the rest of the variants as well in the product page.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13035
5 years 9 months ago #294165

Hi,

On the product page, HikaShop has to load up all the variants data on the page.
That's a lot of data. It's like displaying a listing of products with 4000 of them on the same page.

Note however that using variants / characteristics only makes sense when you want to have a different price for different variants, or display a different description for different variants, or if you want to control the stock per variant, etc.
If you don't need anything to change per variants, then you don't want to use variants / characteristics.
Instead you can create custom fields of the table "item" via the menu Display>Custom fields.
You can achieve the same display with custom item fields but it doesn't require loading data for each combination.
So you can have as many as you want with as much choices as you want and that won't slow down the processing of the product page.

• Thank you received: 4
5 years 9 months ago #294193

Thats an interesting idea! But how can I integrate that into the order of the item?

For example lets go for thesimplest of things : I want people to select a fabric option for the item to make the order. How can I do that?

EDIT:
menestho.com/online-shop/swimwear/product/aphrodite-one-piece

If you go to the Fabric1 tab (not the Fabric tab) you will see the result of having a checkbox field in the back-end where the title of each option is the image. What I want to do is make it look like the Fabric 1 field below which is basically a characteristic. Clicking on the images the user should select the fabric for his product.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by jgardounis. Reason: Added an updated link with the proposal made by Nicolas

• Thank you received: 609
5 years 9 months ago #294218

Hello,

I can suggest a little trick, but it's really a tinker wise, you can try to create your product but only in order to use it has an option.
See my screenshot product configuration side :

You will be able to add a specific price for this future options.
And as a result on the frontend :

So, you have to custom your frontend css file in order to add some command to manage this kind of display.
Think that this can be enough for your needs and less light to load your product page.

Regards

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Philip.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds