Is the check notice.php view the best place to do Product-specific options?

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Business
5 years 9 months ago #293769

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.4.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.8
-- PHP version -- : 7.2

I have a specific streamlined marketing page concept to test to promote specific items. When the visitor selects an item, it is added to the cart and we redirect them to a one-page checkout.

Based on the product category they selected their product from, we need to provide an "Up sell" opportunity that goes along with that product.

I have the cart notification plugin enabled. My thought was to insert "buttons" in the notice.php view based on the product line item's category to allow the visitor to add OptionA, OptionB, etc. to the cart and using the URL link to trigger the ajax call (so we don't get a page refresh).

I am trying to see if I can mimic similar sites but they have product options, like radio or checkbox fields inline with the product line items and you can check the options you want within the checkout page. I wasn't able to do this with Custom Fields as we need to add a value. So I created the options as individual products in their own category.

Note that we don't use the traditional product view, we have a marketing page that narrows the product selection down based on options and then we add the final product to the cart. Its at that time we need to either present the visitor with options to add to their purchase.

My thinking was to have the notice.php display a module with the category display of the options available, or a "no thanks, go to checkout".

An example would be a product item that is a painting, then when they select the artwork/photo they want from a gallery, they are prompted to select from available frame types for that category or no frame and checkout. if they select a frame, its 'silently' added to their selection and on checkout they will see both line items, the artwork, and the frame (if selected).

Thanks for your input and/or sanity check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13036
5 years 9 months ago #293793

Hi,

I would recommend to look at that plugin:
www.hikashop.com/marketplace/product/142-checkout-related.html
This plugin can add a new view of listing of products related to the products in the cart inside the checkout.
So you could configure these option products as "related products" of your products, and place that view as the only view of the first step of your checkout.
That way, after the products are added to the cart and you redirect them to the checkout, they could see these products and either also add them to the cart, or proceed to the second step of the checkout where the real checkout would take place.
That's a bit how Amazon does it on their website.

That also has the added bonus that you don't need to write any custom code.

• Hikashop Business
5 years 9 months ago #293841

Thanks, I purchased the plugin, but now realize that this doesn't allow us to limit the related products that are being displayed. So after the option is added to the cart, it adds the other "parent" items that are also related to the options.

Is there a way to limit the related products displayed to a specific category (for example, an Options category, so only related Options products will be displayed?) Or even better, a characteristic ... so if the product in the cart has a characteristic "Gold" only Gold options will be displayed?

EDIT: if the checkout related had an option to include related products to a specific category I think this could work. I'm not sure who to contact about items in the marketplace though???

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by stratacorps.

• Thank you received: 4004
5 years 9 months ago #293842

Hello,

It could be possible to improve the plugin to exclude the "product options" from the algorithm.
But having a category filter or a characteristic filter would be much more complicated since that information is not available in the cart so it would require to perform extra database queries, extra processing, etc.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Hikashop Business
5 years 9 months ago #293859

I played with it a bit and I think if I had another option to show only related products in selected categories that would work. I copied the plugin because the code isn’t just in the view (I was trying to see if an override would work).

An idea for another plugin would be to be able to show and change product iptions inline in the cart view.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds