How to sell optional insurances with a booking?

• Thank you received: 8
5 years 4 months ago #301762

Hi there!

We sell holidays via our Hikashop webshop (still under construction).

Background
A holiday is in fact a Hikashop product, the product price is the per person price.
Visitors can book a holiday (buy a product) and they can choose an amount of 1 or 2 (max) of the same product. This way they can book for 1 or 2 persons.

The duration of a holiday is fixed to 8 days (7 nights).
Sometimes we offer a combination of 2 connecting weeks, so then the duration is 15 days.

Along with the holiday we also offer 2 optional insurances:

1. Travel insurance
  2. Cancellation insurance

What we need:
We want clients to be able to make choices during the checkout, whether or not to buy 1 or both insurances.

The Travel insurance cost €8,50 plus €5,50 per person per day.
The Cancellation insurance cost €8,50 plus 8% of the total booking.

I managed to use the Hikashop Custom Shipping plugin to create the Cancellation Insurance option. There I can set the fixed fee and the 8% and the plugin nicely shows the right price.

However: I'm not sure how to implement the Travel Insurance option, since this can vary depending on 1 or 2 persons and of course the duration of the holiday.

And yes, I know in fact I mis-use the shipping option for this :) but this was the only sensible way I could think of.

Would really appreciate if you can share your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Maurice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13068
5 years 4 months ago #301767

Hi,

Missusing the shipping methods is a good idea here.
Similarily to the shipping methods, you can use the payment methods for the travel insurance.
You can duplicate your payment method and use the minimum maximum quantity settings of your payment method so that based on the number of products in the cart, only one of the copies display at any time. Then, in the different payment methods, you can set the "price" setting to the value you want.
It should even work if you already have several payment methods.
But as you said, it's a missuse of the feature. The best would be to not have shipping methods, and only your normal payment methods, and have a few custom fields for the selection of the insurance options while you would have a custom plugin add additional fees to the cart based on what would be selected in the custom fields.
That would however require some development for the plugin, so even though we have an example of such plugin you could base yourself on ( www.hikashop.com/marketplace/product/224-global-cart-fee.html ), if you're not a developer you would be able to do it like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds