Confused about characteristics and variants

• Thank you received: 2
8 years 8 months ago #210495

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.5.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.3
-- PHP version -- : 5.5.2
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome 43

Hello,

I'm trying to add a product that should have only 3 characteristics and each characteristic should have only one variant with only one price. Unfortunately, the system force me to select all the characteristics when i want to add a new variant, therefore, i can only have one single price for all the variants, which is not what i need, i want a price for each variant.

In the previous version there was a button "Manage variants" which generated all the variants and for each of it, i was able to add a price.

Please see the images below.

1. Characteristics listed in product:

2. Variants available:

3. Variants list:

4. Only one price for all the variants:

5. And this is how the characteristics looks like in frontpage:

6. Please note that i'm using also HikaMarket and, as vendor, i cannot add a single varianta at a time:

Please tell me what i'm doing wrong, i'm confused about how to achieve what i need.

Thank you

Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mett.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 8 months ago #210499

Hi,

If you need 3 variants with 3 characteristics that's just not possible.
A characteristics need several values to allow you to create several variants.

See how a product with characteristics is : demo.hikashop.com/index.php/fr/hikashop/...with-characteristics

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Thank you received: 2
8 years 8 months ago #210754

Hello Jerome,

Ok, but using multiple variants for each characteristics goes to another problem: some variants might not be available and the price will show "Free" if there is no price set for the main product.

For example, a photographer can add a picture with 300dpi, extended license, tiff but the same picture with royal license might not be available for sale. So, if there are 4 characteristics, each one with several variants and the vendor will add only two variants, all other variants will have the price "Free" instead of being disable for selection.

Thank you

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 13062
8 years 8 months ago #210782

Hi,

If you have the "show out of stock products" setting of the HikaShop configuration turned off, the choices that are not necessary won't appear on your product page.
So if you don't have any variant of your product which need the "jpg" value of the "format" characteristic, it won't display.
If at least one of the variants need that choice, that value will display so that you can select the variant and thus you can potentially select non existing variants, even though you won't be able to purchase them.

There are several solutions here:
- a. add a price to the main product
- b. change the text "free" to something else with a translation override: hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify
- c. Change the "characteristic display method" setting of the HikaShop configuration to "list" so that the customer will see a list of the available variants on the product page instead a multiple selections.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds