Fatal Error (memory) and time outs from variations

• Thank you received: 0
6 years 11 months ago #268949

I'm trying to set Hikashop set up as a catalogue to showcase my print shop options. The flyers, for example, are available in 8 sizes, with 5 paper types, 2 side options, 6 turnaround options, 7 quantities and 4 lamination styles. The variations run into the thousands.

I'm importing these, using the CSV file. But then there are so many variations that I get fatal error (memory) issues trying to access the backend product, and when trying to load the front page it times out.

How can I prevent this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13065
6 years 11 months ago #268966

Hi,

You won't be able to make it work with som many variants. Please understand that a variant is like a product. And thus, if you have a product with 1000 variants and you try to display its product page, it's like asking to display a listing of 1000 products all displayed on one page. That requires a lot of resources and that's normal that you get a fatal error in that case.
You should reduce the number of variants.
For example, if the 7 quantities don't need stock tracking, you might be able to use a custom item field or an option:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/i...ct-form.html#options
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/4...shop-field-form.html
Just doing that would divide the amount of data to be loaded by 7 and would greatly help.

6 years 11 months ago #268968

That's what I was afraid of!

Options make most sense as they're obviously price variants. Can I import them as options instead of variants or would they need adding individually?

6 years 11 months ago #268970

You can import both options and custom item fields for products yes.
I don't know the details of your products so I can't say what would make more sense.

6 years 11 months ago #269070

My products are print products. Business cards, flyers, banners, letterhead etc. Many variations, all of which adjust prices.

This is an example of business cards. . Of course, most products have more variations too though, such as product size, folds and paper type.

There is no set price increase to the variations.

6 years 11 months ago #269072

Hi,

Options can also adjust the price:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/en/hikashop/...ct-page/with-options
Also, instead of having a characteristic for the quantity, you could simply use the standard quantity system of HikaShop. If you set the "quantity input" to "select price" and enter the different prices in your product (or the variants) for the different quantities the quantity selector will display as a dropdown with the choices taken from the min quantity of the product (or the variants).
So you should be able to greatly reduce the amount of necessary variants thanks to these.

6 years 11 months ago #269162

I've used options with a price change before, but as I understand it the options use a set pattern. I.e. you set up an Option with Small, Medium and Large, where small=-20, medium=0, and large=+20 or similar?

On my products, there is no pattern. Sometimes large is +20, sometimes -30, sometimes +200. Is it possible to create options without prices? And do you have an example of an CSV import of those?

Thank you for your help :D

6 years 11 months ago #269169

Hi,

Indeed, you have a "set pattern" for an option.
Now you can always duplicate the option product for each product so that you can set different prices for options of the same name so that they can apply to different product (even though it's a bit heavier to manage as you can potentially end up with a lot of option products).
You sure can have no price for options. Just don't set any. But in that case, I would recommend using custom item fields. They are lighter to manage than options.

Regarding CSV import examples, just create one product like you want. Then, go on the products listing, select that product and click on the "export" button. That will give you a CSV with the categories first and below the product and the options/variants necessary to import it back, so you can base yourself on that.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds