should I use options or variants? copy product not carrying over shipping info

• Thank you received: 0
6 years 11 months ago #269647

My client sells photographs. He sells in various sizes, either matted or as wrapped canvas. There is a different shipping cost if matted or canvas.

I initially set up variants for all the sizes, and set unique shipping costs for each variant. Looked good. Then I duplicated the product expecting all the settings to carry over. The shipping for each variant did not. I need to add a couple hundred products. I cant go into all 12 variants for each product to edit the shipping.

1. why didnt the shipping copy over?

2. should I be using options for this? all these pricing and shipping variants are exactly the same for every product on the site. the documentation I saw (very confusing) made it seem like I would still need to create variants.

3. I would much rather set up an excel file for this and import. But holy heck, the documentation for this is not helpful. I have NO idea how to set up the excel file to show the 12 variants and different shipping options. If only I could export my one product to a csv, I could duplicate. Anyone have a link to a sample csv file with anything like this?

Help!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13067
6 years 11 months ago #269654

Hi,

1. I suppose that you're talking about the shipping prices that you can enter in each product/variant when the "shipping price per product" setting is activated in shipping methods. These are not copied when a product is duplicated. That's because the copy system uses the import system of HikaShop and the import system of HikaShop doesn't support yet the import of per product shipping prices.

2. Not knowing exactly what you need I can't say. You said that you had different shipping prices if the products were matted or canvas. How about the sizes ? Are the prices different for different sizes ? Are the shipping prices different for different sizes ? Do you need to have stock managed per size ?

3. You must have missed the "export" button on the products listing which allows you to export a CSV of your products. That's actually what we usually recommend to do and we don't provide a sample CSV because it is so easy to generate the CSV yourself with your data thanks to that button. But as I said in point 1, the import system doesn't handle shipping prices.

6 years 11 months ago #269691

Hi.

I found the export button and am able to review the csv in excel. I just plain missed it. this makes a huge difference, thank you!

So, you said that the import option doesnt yet support the import of individual shipping costs? So how do i move forward?

This is what I need:

There are 3 sizes for mat prints, each with a different cost, with a shipping cost of $7 each;
there are 7 sizes for canvas prints, each with a diff cost, with a shipping cost of $10 each

(Im confirming now if the shipping on the matted prints is instead a single flat fee of $7 regardless of qty. I just realized that client's notes on this were unclear. but im pretty sure I have it right above.)

Should I be using a warehouse to instead dictate the associated shipping cost? I saw a reference to this online, but havent yet researched too fully since the other option worked (for the one item).

For example, user can order two 5x7 prints at $15 each, shipping at $7 each for a total of $30+14=44
user can order same print as a canvas, 16x24 at $120 + $10 shipping, total $130;
order subtotal for both would be 174.

This works how I have it now (for the one item), but not being able to duplicate the individual shipping makes it moot. should i look into warehouse?

much appreciate the help. thanks!

Cliff

• Thank you received: 1778
6 years 11 months ago #269707

Hello Cliff,

This works how I have it now (for the one item), but not being able to duplicate the individual shipping makes it moot. should i look into warehouse?

Yes using warehouses will be better. To do that you'll just have to :
- Create a warehouse via "Hikahsop->System->Warehouses"
- Add that warehouse through the "warehouse" option of your product configuration page
- Add that warehouse through the "warehouse" option of your shipping

- Set the "Use price per product" option to YES through your shipping method configuration page.
- Set the "Price per product" option to 7 or 10 according the the warehouse.

6 years 11 months ago #269816

Hi,

I was able to create a warehouse, but im not sure how to do the next steps. I tried looking for documentation on using warehouses, but i cant seem to find any.

sorry.. need more specifics...

thanks

6 years 11 months ago #269844

Hello,

As I said through my last message, after creating your warehouse via "Hikashop->System->Warehouses" you'll have to :
- Directly add it through the "Warehouse" option of your product configuration page that you can find via "Hikashop->Products->YourProductConfigrationPage"

- Directly add it through the "Warehouse" option of your shipping configuration page that you can find via "Hikashop->System->Shipping methods->YourShippingMethodConfigurationPage"

Note that to properly work, the warehouse will have to be the same for products and shipping methods that have to work together.

6 years 11 months ago #269859

Wait. im missing something.

I found the places you mentioned. But it seems that im adding the warehouse to the product, not the variant. I dont think that does what i need it to do.

I just need to add different shipping charges based on whether they pick a print or a canvas variant.

if I am adding the warehouse to the product, how does it know which variant is selected?

Isnt there an easier way to accomplish this?

6 years 11 months ago #269862

Hello,

if I am adding the warehouse to the product, how does it know which variant is selected?

There is actually no option for the moment to assign a warehouse to a variant. So in your case the solution will probably be to use only products OR to directly develop a custom plugin to do exactly what you need but it will require development skills.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds