Duplicate Coupons

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 3 months ago #3676

I have a little issue that I need to resolve. My client has a coupon that needs to be set for different products but is the same coupon code. After trying unsuccessfully to make a duplicate coupon with different product set to a certain value through the coupon area (passing an error: Error Saving), I tried to insert it through the database, but the database told me I can't have a duplicate entry with the same code. I know this really isn't what should be done, but I am now faced with an ad that states two different percentages for different products with the same code. Is there any way of changing the discount table to allow duplicate codes, and where would I adjust that in MySQL database?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13036
13 years 3 months ago #3679

Why not limit the coupon to a category ? You could keep the category unpublished so that it's not displayed on your listing on the front end (if you have a listing of categories), and add that category to both products. That should do the job.

Having two coupons with the same code is not possible. Otherwise, the system wouldn't be able to choose which one to use when it would try to load the coupon from the code given to the user. Even if you enter the coupon yourself via the database by removing the restriction on the table, the system would just use the first one and the second one wouldn't be used at all.

13 years 3 months ago #3681

Just asking but isn't that the same thing as limiting it to a product? If the SAMECODE for product A is 10% and SAMECODE product B is 20%, can't the system match two things code and product? When match is successful, produce percentage? I can understand having the same CODE without the product match, or even category match. If the category will work, then I am willing to give it a go. I am not sure how limiting the same category to different products accomplishes the restriction error? Shouldn't I be creating multiple sections for the different products?

13 years 3 months ago #3683

I created two categories and put the 1 product in the new category. I went back and made coupons with the different categories with the same code and it still produces the same error. I have to be able to have a coupon code not an overall discount. If I am not getting this please provide details of how to go about your scenario.

13 years 3 months ago #3684

When you enter a code on the front end, the system will look in the database for a coupon with that code. If one is found, it will check each restriction one by one:
Is the coupon quota ok ?
Is the coupon end date in the future (or not set) ?
Is the coupon start date in the past (or not set) ?
Is the coupon product in the cart (or no product restriction in the coupon) ?
Is the coupon category a parent category of one of the products in the cart (or no category restriction in the coupon) ?
Is the current zone (the state/country of the address of the user) in the coupon zone (or no zone restriction in the coupon) ?

If one of these questions' answer is no, then the code is rejected and an error message is displayed.

That's how the current coupon system is built. As you can see, even if two coupons with the same code in the database, only the first one will be taken into account and the second coupon information won't be used. Thus, it is not possible to have two coupons with the same code for 2 different products with different values.
You could only accomplish that by either:
Using one coupon restricting to a common category for both products. But you will have the same value for the coupon
Using two different coupon with different code, restriction and value

13 years 3 months ago #3697

Is the coupon quota ok ?
Set to 0 Default

Is the coupon end date in the future (or not set) ?
Future

Is the coupon start date in the past (or not set) ?
Future before end date. End date 8 days after

Is the coupon product in the cart (or no product restriction in the coupon) ?
Product restriction set in coupon

Is the coupon category a parent category of one of the products in the cart (or no category restriction in the coupon) ?
I have 6 products. I put all of them under category packages
In this new version I put one product in new category Diamond. All other packages where only one coupon was made for a product in that category.

Is the current zone (the state/country of the address of the user) in the coupon zone (or no zone restriction in the coupon) ?
No Zone restriction as it is all for anyone

The following images is how I set it initially. So I think I am gathering you can only have one coupon code no matter what. Making two with the same name, but different product or different categories with different percentages off won't work?

Attachments:

13 years 3 months ago #3700

It won't indeed. The only solution would be to have a different code.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds