Is there a limit to the products number inside a discount?

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 2 months ago #259916

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.6.5
-- PHP version -- : 5.6

Hi. My customer is creating different discounts, and selecting several products for each discount. However, she notices that there is a limit to the products she can add... I checked it myself, and she is right.

Is there a way to change that limit?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13064
7 years 2 months ago #259918

Hi,

Well, in that case I would recommend to change the way you do it.
Instead of adding products to your discount, create one unpublished category and add that category to the discount and remove the products from it. Then, add that category as a second category in your products and the discount will be applied to the products with that category automatically. You won't have any limit and it will be more flexible.

7 years 2 months ago #259980

My customer doesn't want workarounds, she owns a clothes store with a lot of product changes, so that's not an option. She would like a simpler solution, and I think she is right with that.

I don't mean to be rude, sorry if it seems that way. So, my question remains, is there a limit? and if so (it seems that way) is there a way to change that limit?

Thanks again.

• Thank you received: 4004
7 years 2 months ago #259982

Hi,

I'm afraid that Nicolas already gave you the answer for your question.
For my point of view, there is no question remaining.
I don't want to be rude, but you asked a question and Nicolas gave you the answer ; refusing that answer we gave you won't solve your problem and won't change the fact that the answer is the solution.

I'm also afraid that if you want to "change that limit", it would be called a workaround.

In order to clarify :
- Yes there is a limit ; and there are two kind of limits to be precise.
- We can't tell you more about that limitation because it will depend on your store content and your server
- Trying to modify the database limit won't improve a thing about the performance limitation ; but it would make it worse.
- In order to go beyond that limitation ; you need to use categories to group the products for a discount ; as Nicolas already explained.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

7 years 2 months ago #260013

I think our real world customers are sometimes not very advanced users, and tend to learn how to use things in a way. If I tell this one customer to do that she is going to think that I sold her a semifinished store. I don't think that my posture here is wrong, and as I said, I didn't mean to be rude. Is just how people use to think. In this case, this is something like: "Hey, I'm trying to add products to this discount, but it seems to be a limit, could you remove it?" I told her to add whole categories, but she answered me that she is not doing the same discount to whole categories. Also, she is adding and removing products every week. She has managed to use the store with limited knowledge, and now I have to explain her a method to add discounts that is different from the one I explained, and is somehow a bit indirect for her.

I'm not trying to rise an argument here, just trying to explain how the situation is. I wasn't aware there was this limit, and it is not a big one, we are talking about fifty products or maybe a few more. I thought it wouldn't be difficult to rise that limit to, say, 200 products. I think this is a legitimate option, and one we should be able to edit, at least within a certain range.

So, apologies if I was a bit rude, but we have to deal with these kind of situations every day, and many customers tend to think that you are trying to lie to them, or even think that you scammed them somehow.

Sorry for this long post, I think sometimes in the Internet is easy to forget we are dealing with real people who suffers the same problems we face, only in different forms.

Thanks anyway, and I hope you give a deeper thought to this question. It should be interesting to be able to handle this limit somehow, at least we as webmasters.

Regards.

• Thank you received: 13064
7 years 2 months ago #260055

Hi,

I gave the answer I just thought to be the most appropriate. There is no need for anyone to get angry here.
My answer doesn't make it longer to setup discounts than what you already do and preserve performances. That's why I gave it to you as I thought it was the best one I could give you.

The limit of most of these categories/products selection fields is simply a limit based on the number of characters of the field where the data is stored. Changing that limit is really easy. The limit is there in order to keep performances optimal.
If you want to remove the limit, edit the discount_product_id column of the hikashop_discount table via your PHPMyAdmin and change its type to "Text". You'll be able to enter thousands of products in that setting.

Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by nicolas.

7 years 2 months ago #260138

Hi. Thanks again. I know your answer was appropriate, but you know that sometimes customers are hard headed and is difficult to make them understand what to do. I changed the limit using the "Text" type. I know that will use more memory, but it won't be too much trouble. We are talking about one hundred products per discount at most.

Regards,
Luis.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds