Bundle Variants Needed (Business Case)

• Thank you received: 0
6 years 7 months ago #275711

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.1.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.6.5
-- PHP version -- : 5.6.30
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : FFWIN64

On content digital download sites, you can have products that are broken down by formats. For example:

-MAX (3d Studio MAX)
-BLD (Blender)
- Vue (Vue)

and so forth. The same base product broken down into variants, like -MAX, -BLD, -VUE.

But then, you might have a series of Sports Car products, such as Italian Sports Car 2017, German Sports Car 2017, Japanese Sports Car 2017. They each have their own formats above (three products with three variants each).

But then, you might have a bundle of "Italian Sports Car 2017 for MAX", "German Sports Car 2017 for MAX" and "Japanese Sports Car 2017 for MAX".

In this case, it would be best if a product bundle can be made up of Variants. This was discussed previously before you implemented the current bundling system that doesn't accept Variants as bundled components. Can you put on your development plan for implementing variants as bundleable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13037
6 years 7 months ago #275728

Hi,

A bundle can already be made up of variants with recent versions of HikaShop. So that should already be possible.
So either we're not talking about the same thing or you missed that.
If you look at our change log, you can see that this has been added in the 3.1.0 version:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/5...ashop-changelog.html
And when you add a new product for a bundle, the products with variants will have a + icon like the categories so that you can see the list of variants of the product and select the variant you want.

6 years 7 months ago #277084

Thanks for the answer. I think I wasn't quite clear enough in the business case.

I think to achieve what I am asking for, it would be possible to create a bundle from a variant.

In the case I outlined, we have products that include multiple variants, ie

Big Space Ship for MAX
Big Space Ship for Blender
Big Space Ship for DAZ

Then we have others related to Big Space Ship, like Little Space Ship, Destroyed Space Ship, etc. They all have similar flle format based variants.

But then we'd want to make a Space Ship Bundle, which includes Space Ships for MAX, Space Ships for Blender, Space Ships for DAZ, etc.

Someone could then:

1. Go to the Space Ship Bundle product
2. Select one of the variants, ie Space Ships for MAX, Space Ships for Blender, Space Ships for DAZ

I can't think of any way to do this except if it is possible to have a product containing variant, and each variant contains a bundle made up of variants. Can you think of some other way to do this without having a lot of duplicate named products?

6 years 6 months ago #277091

Hi,

First, I don't understand why you're trying to use bundles.
In your example, max / blender are 3d softwares, so I suppose that what you're selling are digital files for these softwares.
Thus you must have an unlimited quantity for them.
And in that case, bundles won't do anything for you since the goal of that feature is to reduce the stock of the bundled products when purchasing the main product.
So I don't understand why is it necessary for the variant "Space Ships for Blender" to be a bundle of variants of other products ?

6 years 6 months ago #279017

nicolas wrote: Hi,

First, I don't understand why you're trying to use bundles.
In your example, max / blender are 3d softwares, so I suppose that what you're selling are digital files for these softwares.
Thus you must have an unlimited quantity for them.
And in that case, bundles won't do anything for you since the goal of that feature is to reduce the stock of the bundled products when purchasing the main product.
So I don't understand why is it necessary for the variant "Space Ships for Blender" to be a bundle of variants of other products ?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Products are arranged by title, then users can select by format.

So a product like "Steampunk Spaceship" might include "3DSMAX", "Poser", "Vue", etc, each of which is a variant of "Steampunk Spaceship".

Then, we have collections. "Spaceships" might include five types of space ship, like "Steampunk Spaceship", "Fighter Space Ship", "Medical Spaceship", "Diplomatic Spaceship" and "Alien Spaceship".

A customer wants to buy a "Spaceships" collection, but only of a single format, such as "3DSMAX". In this case, it would need to include Steampunk Spaceship for 3DSMAX, Fighter Spaceship for 3DSMAX, Medical Spaceship for 3DSMAX, etc.

It would be desirable then, for "Spaceships" to have variants based on file format. But each of these variants is a bundle consisting variants or other products. So if the user wants to buy "Spaceships for 3DSMAX", they select it, and that variant contains a bundle of "Steampunk Spaceship for 3DSMAX" (from the Steampunk Spaceship product), "Fighter Space Ship for 3DSMAX" (from the Fighter Space Ship product), and the like.

Does this make sense? As it is, assembling these collections are extremely time consuming and duplicate a lot of efforts.

A UI convention that would also make this easier would be to be able to save lists of download items with their descriptions, so it would be possible to add a download item to multiple products (and not have to re-enter download item names, descriptions, etc, again and again).

6 years 6 months ago #279044

Hi,

I see what you mean now.
Bundles of variants of bundles looks quite complex to me and not really practical interface-wise.
What I would recommend in that case would be to use a CSV and import it to generate all the products with the correct download files etc.
That way, in Excel, you can more easily manage the products and add new products/variants/bundles without all the point and click of the interface, and having to reenter the data many times.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds