Bad search results

• Thank you received: 0
5 years 11 months ago #292577

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.walttools.com/
-- HikaShop version -- : 3.4.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.7
-- PHP version -- : no idea
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : firefox latest
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : Not an error.

I have the latest Joomlah and Hikashop. Since my store inception in November 2016 the product search bar works poor. As a customer or employee doing product searches, the results are baffling. How do we configure this to search for the word inputted as it pertains to Product names? Sku numbers are fine but a customer will not know a product code, thus they use a product name or title. The issue is even if the exact product name is inputted, it can be dozens of results down the list, pages back behind all irrelevant results and people give up on the search, assuming we don't have that item since it should appear near the top if we had it. The search feature should not be configured to seek out the words in product descriptions before a product name, no? An example. I have a concrete stain color simply called RED. In the title. If I were a customer, I might just search for RED and expect that something titled RED might appear. No. Any textural content that contains RED appears long before anything in a title. Maybe it is something in the settings and it was just set up poorly. Any insight? Thank you greatly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1778
5 years 11 months ago #292579

Hello,

If you want your search module to search products based on defined fields, then you should directly use the "Fields" option of the "HikaShop products search plugin" plugin.

5 years 11 months ago #292595

Yes, fields are being used and the only fields activated are Product name and Product code. Neither of which should produce dozens of results not relate to the product name as it does. My example RED gives 150 results. Product id Tru Tint Concrete Stain - Red should be number one, no exception there. RED is a very specific word. It produces 150 search results and the product is NOT one of them. The top 20 results do not even have the word RED anywhere in the listing. Frustrating.

5 years 11 months ago #292596

I have a feeling the search bar I am referring to is not the hikashop search bar. If so, it does not follow its configuration at all.

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 13069
5 years 11 months ago #292645

Hi,

I don't see that at all on your website when I search products with "red", I don't have 150 results, only 43, and they all have "red" in their name:
monosnap.com/file/G5yMSXqYEL8Ng2OO9geiSsNdnA1enB

Please note however that if you don't restrict the search on products, then you get results from all the other enabled search plugins on your website. In that case, I do get about 150 results, but again, only 43 come from the HikaShop products search plugin.
If you don't want the search to be done on other things than HikaShop products, then you should disable the other search plugins in the Joomla plugins manager.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds