Main Product not showing only the variants

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Business
9 years 5 months ago #180660

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.6
-- PHP version -- : 5.3

Hi,

i have imported a few products via CSV. Sameple of the data below. (Colour is a predefined variant)

product_parent_id product_code Colour
1501 BLACK
1501 1502 BROWN
1501 1503 LIGHT GREY

This imports fine. However, on the product browse page the product with code 1501 is displayed, however, when you click in to the product to choose an option i.e. Colour the only products displayed are the variants Brown and Light Grey, there is no option to choose black?

All Items are published and have stock etc is there something I need to do to get the main product to show as an option as well? Please keep in mind that there are thousands of products to load from a supplier so adding extra line in to double up the main product as a variant is not feasable and logically shouldn't be necessary.

Please help.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1778
9 years 5 months ago #180661

Hello,
Did you checked that the variant "Black" was correctly created/configured by using the "Manage variants" button of your product configuration page ?

• Hikashop Business
9 years 5 months ago #180801

Black is the main product its not a variant. It shows on the product browse pages just fine. When you say not setup correctly what do you mean? Other main products without variants work fine. I need to get the import working as there are thousands of products to add.

• Thank you received: 13066
9 years 4 months ago #180816

Hi,

Your CSV is not correct.
It should be:
product_parent_id;product_code;Colour
;1501;BLACK
1501;1502;BROWN
1501;1503;LIGHT GREY
1501;1504;BLACK

you need to have the black variant if you want to select the black value of the characteristic of the main product as default.

• Hikashop Business
9 years 4 months ago #180910

Hi Nicolas,

Thnk you for getting back to me.

That would mean to add in thousands of extra lines into the CSV to basically double up one of the products! Seems a bit extreme?! I would also presume that the main product would have to have a dummy product code in it as it wocould never get ordered! Whats the point of that?

Thanks.

9 years 4 months ago #181019

Hi,

The point of having a main product and then variants is that you can configure stuff in your main product that will be passed on automatically to the variants.
So for example, when you have a 100 variants with the same product image, instead of setting the image 100 times, you do it once in the main product and the system passes the image to all the variants automatically. And it's basically the same for all the product fields. That actually saves a lot of duplication work.
So in your example, if you want to enter a product description you can specify it only for the main product, and not duplicate it for each variant:
product_parent_id;product_code;Colour;product_description
;1501;BLACK;my description
1501;1502;BROWN;
1501;1503;LIGHT GREY;
1501;1504;BLACK;

• Hikashop Business
9 years 4 months ago #181087

HI Nicolas,

I do understand where you are coming from. However, we have worked with many suppliers that send us CSV's of products. In every CSV the products are delivered one per row, so if there are 3 different colours of a product they would be 3 lines in the CSV with all the details filled out.

Would you please concider adding in a function to make the master product also a variant when uploading via CSV? This would make your CSV format compatible with almost any supplier and save many hours having to add in duplicate lines just for the variants.

Many thanks!

9 years 4 months ago #181207

Hi,

I understand what you mean but the import system hasn't been made to support that and it's not that easy to add the way it's done so I can't give you a quick fix for that.

• Hikashop Business
9 years 4 months ago #181310

ok thanks Nicolas, could you please concider that in a future release? Many thanks.

• Thank you received: 2322
9 years 4 months ago #181317

Hi,

We will consider that.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds