Import Product + Options

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 2 weeks ago #266958

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.0.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.6.5
-- PHP version -- : 7.0
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Firefox

I have a list of products that is upwards of 500,000+ items. I would like to import these products in one large batch or several segmented batches but I honestly don't know the first step or series of steps I should take to make that happen. Below are some key things I think would be helpful to make this import successful:

- I would like to import them and assign them to their specific category and brand
- Many of the products I am importing have a primary item description and then several options with them so I want to auto-assign the option to the primary
- Many of the products have varying characteristics

Can someone tell me the best approach to take?

Do I need to add all of the characteristics first or if they are missing will they be added automatically?
Is it possible to import the brand? I have over 800
Do I need to add all of the categories first or if they are missing will they be added automatically?
Is there a format/template already ready to go? I did an export of my existing test products and brand was not there, option was not there....

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
7 years 2 weeks ago #266964

Hi,

A good first step is indeed to create some products like you want and then export them.
The CSV you'll get from that can be the basis for your CSV with all the products.
We also have a documentation regarding the CSV import which explains what you can do and the special cases:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/73-hikashop-import.html
As per the documentation, categories will be added automatically if missing.
Regarding the brands you have the column "product_manufacturer_id" in the CSV for that. You can either specify in it the id of a brand you already have or the name of a brand (that you already have, or not, and if not, it will be added automatically).
Regarding the options, there is an "options" column at the end of the CSV which contains a list of the product_code of the products options of that product. Characteristics and variants are also exported.

• Thank you received: 4
7 years 2 weeks ago #267064

Hi!

I'm a bit in the same boat and have issues importing a car catalogue containing brands (which in my current installation is at the same level as product categories under root) lots of options such as engine position, engine cc, engine type, etc.
I am really wondering what is the best approach to import such a big amount of data and how to article the DB to make it efficient and working.
So far I am not been able to import anything. The categories get created automatically but that's it. For what it's worth my original csv file has the following headers:
model_id,model_make_id,model_name,model_trim,model_year,model_body,model_engine_position,model_engine_cc,model_engine_num_cyl,model_engine_type,mode_engine_valves_per_cyl,model_engine_power_ps,model_engine_power_rpm,model_engine_torque_nm,model_engine_torque_rpm,model_engine_bore_mm,model_engine_stroke_mm,model_engine_compression,model_engine_fuel,model_top_speed_kph,model_0_to_100_kph,model_drive,model_transmission_type,model_seats,model_doors,model_weight_kg,model_length_mm,model_width_mm,model_height_mm,model_wheelbase,model_lkm_hwy,model_lkm_mixed,model_lkm_city,model_fuel_cap_l,model_sold_in_us,model_make_display_name

Some guidance would be really appreciated as whether I need to create everything as a characteristics (and therefore manually input all the options?) or maybe custom fields work better, or maybe there is a third option?

Thank you in advance.

Fred

7 years 2 weeks ago #267066

Hi,

I would indeed recommend using custom fields of the table "product" as the data you're talking about is only descriptive as far as I understand.
Also, for the column model_make_display_name, I suppose this is the product name, so you'll have to change column title in the CSV to "product_name". If you do an export of a product that you already have in the database, you'll see the available column names.

As I advised in my previous message, it's best to first create one or two products manually on your website so that they display and work like you want. Once you have that, export them and modify your CSV so that the column names match the ones in HikaShop and the import will work.

7 years 2 weeks ago #267132

Ok, I got that already but I'm still struggling with a few issues. For example brand is not part of the product table by default. I installed a "hikashop" template and have the following structure:

And brand is "nicely" listed in the first product box. That suits me. However I haven't found a way to populate that brand table through product import.

Also I would like to avoid having to type all the possible options values for each additional custom field. Is that possible?

Thank you.

Attachments:

7 years 2 weeks ago #267151

Hi,

1. As I explained in my first message of this thread:

Regarding the brands you have the column "product_manufacturer_id" in the CSV for that. You can either specify in it the id of a brand you already have or the name of a brand (that you already have, or not, and if not, it will be added automatically).

2. You don't need to enter all the values in the custom fields if you don't plan on filtering the products based on them. If it's just for display on the product page, then leave the custom product field as a "text" type and enter the text in the column corresponding to the custom field in your CSV and you'll be done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bfred

7 years 2 weeks ago #267192

hi!
ok, sorry I missed that product_manufacturer_id was linked to the brand. Thank you for the reminder.

For 2, if I wish to be able to sort the products by those fields I'll have to enter each value then?

Thank you.

Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by bfred.

7 years 1 week ago #267234

Hi,

No, for the sorting, you don't need to have each possible values in the custom field.

7 years 6 days ago #267723

Hi again!

So I managed to do my import \o/ and I am not wondering how can I do to sort my products by feature (or should I import differently basically?). For example let's say I have 600 cars, visitors will want to sort out products in order to see what they really want. I've tried to look at that through the demo website but couldn't find what I was looking for.
At this stage i am not really sure what would be those criteria but I guess doors count, year, price, brand, seat counts and maybe other things. Should I make those features stand apart like Brands is currently appearing in the back office, or there is a way to make a sort/filter through those fields? And if so how do I do that?

Thank you.

ps: also how do you make the category and brand appear in the product description?

Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by bfred.

7 years 5 days ago #267728

Hi,

It looks like you're merging two concepts into one word:
- Sorting is about the order in which the products are displayed on the listing.
- Filtering is about removing some of these products from the listing so that only the ones matching some criteria appear on it.

With HikaShop, you can:
- configure the default sorting of the listings thanks to the "ordering column" option of your listing. In that case, the customer can't change the sorting, and can't filter the products.
- configure a HikaShop filter (menu Display>Filters) of the type dropdown and applying on "sort" so that you can let the customer choose what sorting should be used for the products listing.
- configure a HikaShop filter (menu Display>Filters) of another type than text so that you can let the customer filter the products listing based on the values coming from a custom field. In that case, it requires the possible values to be entered in the custom field (and so the custom field needs to be a dropdown, or a radio, or a checkbox type).

Based on your last message, it seems that you want to do the last point. But in that case, you need to have the possible values configured in the custom field and then you can just select that custom field in your filter. Repear that for each custom field and you can have a complete set of dropdowns so that the customer can filter the products listing based on different criteria, etc.

Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by nicolas.

6 years 11 months ago #270204

Ok thank you very much, that clarifies a lot of things which were unclear for me.

Now let's say I've imported all my car types and I'm starting to set up the logic of the store where people come to post cars they want to sell. They chose one of the many models I have imported and add to it characteristics such as color, mileage, price they want to sell.

How can I also have one of these parameters as a filter, let's say for example mileage and price?

Thank you.

6 years 11 months ago #270205

Hi,

The mileage would be entered, I suppose, as a custom field of the type "text" where the user would enter a number.
The price would be entered in the price field of the default product edition interface.
In that case, I would recommend to use the filter type "cursor" which is made to work with numbers so that the customer can select the range he wants in the filter.
If you select a dropdown type in your filter, you would have to enter the different steps as values of the filter so the customer woule be able to select the range he wants.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bfred

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds