Improvments for product options

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 8 months ago #21280

For the past couple of days I've bin struggling with the Product Options trying to create som kind of PC Configurator.

I don't know if there are any improvements on the way but here is an idea.

Why not make it possible to choose whole categories in the product options. In this way all the products in the category will be listed in the scroll down menu. And it would be even more perfect if the first choice in the scroll down always is set to be "Please choose (category name)".

Or maybe Give us the possibility to create product groups for the product options. So we can put different products in one group and then set it as one option.

And maybe let the scroll down menus have a fixes width/length, So they all end up having the same size. Or maybe give the choice to use radio buttons instead of scroll down.

Maybe I am just to lazy or stupid to figure out how to use the product options, without spending many hours on each product that need configuring. But as I see it it is very tie consuming at the moment.

Just some Ideas Guys,

By the way, I'm loving your product it is actually pretty simple and easy to use...

PS. don't forget to implement the google +1 along side the tweet and Facebook options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13035
12 years 8 months ago #21298

Thank you for your feedback.

You can do groups of products for options.That can be done with variants/characteristics. You can see that on our demo website:
www.demo.hikashop.com/index.php?option=c...ow&Itemid=91&lang=en
Let's take the example of the RAM:
First, we made one characteristic called RAM quantity with the three values.
Second, we created one product that we called RAM with that characteristic added to it.
Third, we clicked on the "manage variants" and set the name of each variant and its price.
Finally, we added the RAM product as an option of the computer product.

For the width of the option dropdowns, you can do that in CSS.

The google +1 has been implemented and will be in next release.

12 years 8 months ago #21308

I have looked at your demo, and figured out how to do it. But it is to much work, the way it is setup today.

The way the system works at the moment is doing the same work twice. Let us take an example.

We have a shop where we sell computers and hardware.
We have our category Ram, in this category we have different types of ram. We have a category hard drive here we have different type of hard drive and so on.
No we want to create a computer that is configurable with Ram and Hard drive. We create the computer as product and we ad options with the correct Ram category and Hard drive category.

But the way the system works now we have to recreate the products we already have created as characteristics and add it to new product. this is doing the work twice. So instead of creating the characteristics and product to add characteristics to. It would be much better if it was possible to set existing product categories or groups of existing products, as characteristics/options to another product.

This is just some feedback...

I have worked with many shops and Actually the best one I have seen with this option is from Scannet.dk.. You can install a demo for 14 days and see what I mean.

Once again great job...

12 years 8 months ago #21309

Ok I have given it some thought and it would be narrowed down to this.

The optimal way for making options would be as such:

-Add product
-Add option to product
-Add product category to option
- Select/deselect products to be shown in scroll down

In this way we take advantage of existing products and will be able to save lots of time.

And maybe give the user the choice to show options after product description on product page.

And maybe give the choice to use radio button instead of scroll down or maybe a combination of these two.

Best of wishes

/Cyrus

12 years 8 months ago #21321

If you have a RAM product with a characteristic added to it already where the user can select the size of the ram, you don't need to do anything twice. You can just reuse the products directly. All in all one solution or the other doesn't seem much different. Of course, if you already have the products that you want as options setup in categories, our current method is more time consuming. But it could be the opposite as well if you had your different RAM/hard drives configured as one product with variants and that you wanted to use the solution you propose.

Anyway, we'll keep your proposition in a corner and we'll see how other users feel about the options setup. We need to wait more before we can decide on that.

12 years 7 months ago #23173

The way options are implemented is confusing and it does take a bit of work to configure.

A suggestion if I may would be to have another entity called Options - just like you have Categories, Products and Characteristics under the Products menu.

Each Option can be linked to a product so that one can see the related options belonging to a Product in the Explorer.

Regards

Ignatius

12 years 7 months ago #23186

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds