Any option for ful centralized Product Information Management (PIM) in HikaShop?

• Thank you received: 94
5 years 9 months ago #295379

It's no secret that at Polished Geek, we are huge HikaShop fans. So while we've been using other platforms for large eCommerce clients with a need for centralized Product Information Management (PIM), I'm curious if there's a recommended way to do the same thing with HikaShop.

A bit of background:
A PIM system provides ONE single point of truth for all product information across multiple websites, marketing systems, etc. So for example, if you are running 4 different stores that carry an overlapping catalog of products (some stores only carry certain brands and product lines, other stores may carry some of those plus additional brands and product lines). A PIM system allows you to manage ALL of your products in one database, including everything - images, descriptions, digital assets like download PDFs, etc. And then it feeds that data to all of the other systems that need it, immediately, everywhere it's used. (We have a page explaining this in more detail on our website - polishedgeek.com/ecommerce/product-infor...?utm_source=hikashop )

Each of the stores operates independently as far as payment, shipping, category and menu structure, etc. It's primarily the product information that is centralized. So changing an image for product #1234 in the PIM would change that image everywhere it's used, almost in real time.

Is there any way to combine a PIM approach with HikaShop? I've seen a few similar questions by searching the forum but it seems the only option is to use HikaMarket multi-vendor, where the products are kept separate and don't overlap and aren't shared between vendors. Meaning any products that have to exist under both vendors would need to be duplicated and maintained in tandem. That defeats one of the major advantages of PIM for our clients who need it for complex product catalog management.

Would love to know if fully centralized product information management has been combined with HikaShop before?

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by PolishedGeek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13062
5 years 9 months ago #295398

Hi,

I've seen this done with HikaShop using JMS multi sites.
JMS multi sites allows you to have one master website (where you can manage your products etc in a centralized way) and slaves websites (which can have a copy of some of the products or all of them based on how you configure it all).
Each slave website can have its own website structure, etc. Again it depends on how you configure it all.
I would recommend to check with the support of JMS as they know a lot more about master/slave websites and what can and cannot be done. It's also them who did the integration with HikaShop.
As far as I understand, the only drawback is that everything is on the same server. But I don't know if that's something you need.

• Thank you received: 94
5 years 9 months ago #295423

Hmmmm... yes, we played a bit with JMS a few years ago for one B2C client who had 2 differently branded websites. But our current B2B eCommerce clients generally need to be able to syndicate product data out to multiple servers and platforms from one PIM system. So it sounds like HikaShop with JMS wouldn't meet most of their needs, unfortunately.

Appreciate the feedback!

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts

• Thank you received: 13062
5 years 9 months ago #295424

Hi,

Yes. Indeed in that case, it won't help.
In that case, all I can think of would be developing synchronization plugins to update the elements when necessary in real time between the different websites.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds