Akeeba subscriptions is going to be discontinued.

• Thank you received: 0
10 years 3 months ago #142185

Hi,
Will Hikashop include an own mechanism of subscriptions?
Thanks,
Best regards,
Jose A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4006
10 years 3 months ago #142208

Hi,

We are thinking about it yes.
We don't know exactly how we will provide the feature, if we will build something "from scratch" of if we will do a fork of Akeeba Sub (if they agree with).

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

10 years 3 months ago #142294

Hi,
Please, when you know you're going to do, tell me something to buy the Business version.
Thanks,
Best regards,
Jose a.

10 years 3 months ago #142311

Hi,

You can follow our Twitter feed to be notified when we will launch " hikasubscription ".

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeeEmm

• Thank you received: 35
10 years 2 months ago #146202

Jerome wrote: ...We don't know exactly how we will provide the feature, if we will build something "from scratch" of if we will do a fork of Akeeba Sub (if they agree with)...

I think Akeeba Subscriptions is an excellent starting point and very good integreted with HikaShop...

• Thank you received: 14
10 years 2 months ago #146877

From what I understand support for Akeeba subs is being dropped but the component itself will still be available for download direct from Github. I believe Nick uses it on his own site so will still update it but has removed support for it as it costs more to support than it earns in revenue. (there has already been at least one release since he has officially dropped support)

You can read a little more here - www.akeebabackup.com/home/news/1534-the-...e-of-akeebasubs.html

Github page - github.com/akeeba/akeebasubs

I have a couple of extensions using Akeeba subs and have been wondering whether to release them. Without Akeeba subs there is no alternative in the marketplace. It really is a shame that it is not being supported.

FYI Akeeba Subs is released under the GPL so derivative works are okay.

I too have considered cloning / branching the repo and releasing my own version, but to fit in with my business model this would be a paid download.

Other alternatives are for a couple of us to contribute to the existing GIT and help maintain the existing repo.

From your (hikashops) perspective it is a good opportunity to provide a feature that is now not available elsewhere. ;)

10 years 2 months ago #146878

Actually....

Whilst we are on the subject of akeeba - I personally would like to see integration for the Akeeba release system into hikashop.

Have considered doing this myself but have not got around to looking into it.

• Thank you received: 13092
10 years 2 months ago #146983

Hi,

We want to provide something which fits nicely in HikaShop, like we did for the multivendor and Hikserial. So branching out is not possible for us. But if you do it on your end, we'll be happy to promote the integration with your fork since the plugins will still work with the forked version. And if any change should be necessary, we would be happy to work with you to have a working integration.

Regarding the release system, I'm not sure what you're referring to ? HikaShop already is integrated with the Joomla update system and you get notified by Joomla when we activate it. And you have a one click update.

10 years 2 months ago #147016

The Akeeba release system (ARS) is not an update system. (The name may be a little misleading.) It is actually a software download manager made for software versioning. For each software release you can add a different set of files and release notes and maintain them all simultaneously. It is very useful for maintaining software downloads. I used to use it for my own extensions when they were free but since moving to paid downloads have not been able to use it - hence my interest.

More info on the Akeeba site - www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-release-system.html

You can see an example of it here - www.akeebabackup.com/downloads/akeeba-backup.html

Also on the old downloads section of my own site - deeemm.com/dolphin-7

Integration would require access to all releases per product or perhaps only to a specific release - perfect for allowing unlimited access to purchased versions after a subscription expiration.

It could be that Akeeba Subs is the key here as I believe that it also integrates with ARS.

I will take a look into Akeeba Subs and ARS over the coming weekend and decide if I want to take it on

• Thank you received: 13092
10 years 2 months ago #147190

Hi,

Thank you for the information about ARS. Looking at it, I also think that having an integration between akeeba subs or our future subscriptions system (we won't do one in the short or mid term) is probably the way to go. Then you can have HikaShop integrated with akeeba subs but not directly to ARS. I think it's more logical to tie the downloads to the subscriptions than to product sales. That way you can potentially have an end period for the downloads, etc

10 years 2 months ago #147221

Hi Nicolas,

For when you will have the first version of your subscriptions system?

Best regards,
Jose a.

• Thank you received: 2322
10 years 2 months ago #147231

Hi,

Currently we can't give a date. As Nicolas said:

we won't do one in the short or mid term

10 years 2 months ago #147707

DeeEmm wrote: ...Other alternatives are for a couple of us to contribute to the existing GIT and help maintain the existing repo...

Hi DeeEmm,
I think that would be a very good solution.
WIth the HikaShop - Akeeba Subscriptions plugin the two components are working very well and you can take advantage of all HikaShop power leaving to Akeeba Subscriptions just the subscription feature "As it was originally intended, the only integration we will include will be the Joomla! user groups one."... that's all !

10 years 2 months ago #147727

After reviewing the code this weekend I think that to take on Akeeba subs and for it to be financially viable for me would mean charging more than the previous support cost over at the Akeeba site. (40 euros). There are simply too many outstanding tickets / issues that have not been addressed so this would mean a fairly major overhaul prior to launch to address these pending issues. Without doing this, these issues would be inherited in the new branch and I am simply not prepared to launch a product with known issues / bugs.

I think that to both justify the price and ensure that these issues were addressed would therefore require a fairly major rewrite. which is something that I cannot commit to at this point. I also think that given my business model is low priced paid downloads (and not paid support as per the existing Akeeba Subs) the price would be too high to fit in with my existing products. It also pushes the product into the price bracket where piracy is more prevalent which was my original reason for keeping my products low priced.

At this stage I think that helping maintain the existing GIT repository is a much better idea.

I do have a project on the table that requires using Akeeba subs, if I get a chance I will see if I can rewrite it and absorb the costs as part of the project so that I could launch a cheaper version but at this stage I cannot commit.

DM

• Thank you received: 5
9 years 7 months ago #172887

Has anything been done on this recently?

Akeeba subs now isn't even available as a Joomla installable package (you have to build it, etc.). It's quickly becoming an issue for those of us who built sites on it.

It should be easy for a basic subscription system to be added to HS - just the ability to track a purchase date, calculate an expire date, create actions (add/remove from ACL group), batch process expirations (run those actions).

The other alternative would be to just create some integrations with some other subscription systems (PayPlans, Membership Pro, etc.); however, for the instances where I integrate HS and AkeebaSubs (and probably others) we don't need all those 'fancy features' (or we would already be using them without HS).

Any progress on this topic from anyone?

9 years 7 months ago #172892

Hi,

The development of a subscription system is still not in our short term schedule and it won't change this year for sure ; we have other big projects to do before thinking about this kind of development.
Joomla have several subscription system and now we have the compatibility with Emerald subscription. I think that the integration with other subscription system will be better for HikaShop.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

• Thank you received: 5
9 years 7 months ago #173319

I'd love to see some other integrations with other subscription systems.
Emerald is nice, but over-kill (esp. if we just want to let HS handle all the 'selling' of the subscription).

• Thank you received: 17
9 years 7 months ago #174333

hello,

I successfully used the couple Hikashop and Akeeba Subscription with the plugin "First Akeeba Subscriptions Plugin" developed by HikaShop team.
I created a subscription and articles about HikaShop Akeeba manages subscription end dates, reminders, permits for download with Akeeba Release System.
The payments are made on Hikashop.
Akeeba Subscription is on Github and I think it will continue.
Akeeba Subscription is a good basis for managing subscriptions and downloads.
Akeeba Subscription is not a good basis for management baskets, invoices and payments.

Here is my feedback

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

9 years 7 months ago #174517

Teophile wrote: ...Akeeba Subscription is not a good basis for management baskets, invoices and payments...

just use the "Second Akeeba Subscriptions Plugin" and you can fully manage subscriptions with HikaShop baskets, invoices and payments features :)

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds