geolocation not automatically switching currencies

• Thank you received: 3
7 years 8 months ago #245845

-- url of the page with the problem -- : 209.59.161.55/~atbenc/buy-now/autobell-5...or-wash-tickets.html
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.3
-- Joomla version -- : 3.5.1
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : geolocation not working

I have tired everything I can think of and read through everything in the forums and i cannot get the hikashop geolocation plugin to automatically switch prices. I have enabled the plugin and created an api key. Set currency is enabled to yes in the plugin as well.

What I need to do is all states have the same pricing except 1 for this product. So I created a new currency and set the new zone to that currency. I set all the other states/zones to USD which is the default currency. However, I have tried looking through proxies, etc. and the currency never changes. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I think there might be a bug in the geolocation plugin because the currency just will not change.

I did it on this product below and I have the north carolina zone since i live in nc to test this set to the new currency with a new price and the new price/currency does not show up. The rest of the states/zones are set to the default USD currency. However, the prices just stay set to normal USD price no matter what i change. The pricing should be showing as $499 when you coming from a NC location and it does not.

209.59.161.55/~atbenc/buy-now/autobell-5...or-wash-tickets.html

How can I get this to work?

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by jschroeder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #245846

I forgot to attach my settings. Here are my settings for everything.

Attachments:

7 years 8 months ago #245849

I want to add one more thank because i just ran across it in the forum. This is in Canada and I live in the United States, but I am guessing this applies here as well.

www.hikashop.com/forum/4-how-to/878820-r...a-and-us.html#213575

Is the reason this is not working is because it is only possible to do geolocation on a per country level and not on a state level according to the thread above?

Thanks,

Josh

• Thank you received: 13062
7 years 8 months ago #245858

Hi,

Yes, the geolocation system works at the country level, not at the state level. So you won't be able to switch currency for different states as the information of the state is not known with the geolocation services integrated in the geolocation plugin.
But even if that was the case, you would have another problem. Creating a second USD currency means that it has another currency code. And the currency code is sent to the payment gateways so if you have another currency code than USD but want to charge in USD, it won't work. The payment gateway will try to charge in the other currency code that you put, and if it doesn't exists, it will refuse the payment.

7 years 8 months ago #245941

Thank you for this answer I kind of suspected this might not work.

Would it be possible to do pricing per zip code then?

I know Polished Geek has make something like this in the past.

docs.polishedgeek.com/wiki/display/HSZIP...+Pricing+by+Zip+Code
docs.polishedgeek.com/wiki/display/HSZIP

This would be great to see something like pricing per zip code as an option because I have a client who has certain products that they do not want the customer to see the products price on both the listing page and product page until they type their zip code in. If you made it like the extension above then you would type the zip code to see a products price if you attached the proper acl level to it and then if you were logged into the site it would automatically show the price based off of your zip code in your account.

Have you thought about adding this feature it would be a great to have something like this?

7 years 8 months ago #245955

Hi,

They actually didn't made (develop) anything for it.
That documentation page they wrote (which is great btw) explains how to do it with HikaShop itself, without any plugin.
So yes, I invite you to follow that tutorial if prices per zip code is OK for you. It's going to take some time to enter the different user groups, prices and mass actions, but it will work without any development.

7 years 8 months ago #245976

They actually did develop something I actually talked to them earlier on the phone. If you read further down it says it requires 2 things that does not exist in hikashop.

They say:
"Third, now assign the relevant zip codes to the correct user group in the custom HikaShop Zip Codes component (Components > HikaShop Zip Codes)."

Also, the hikashop zip codes is a component they made to manage the zip codes. Then they had another module that appears on the front side of the site where you type in the zip code for the price in order to see the price. The way it is made is if you assign a particular user group to a product then the please type your zip code shows up in the product in the front-end of the site. According to them the layout for the products then has to be manually modified to support this zipcode pricing input box on the front side of the site.

However, this has not currently been ported to the new version of hikashop yet.

It would be nice to have a feature like this by default in hikashop. My client actually needs this currently.

7 years 8 months ago #246011

Hi,

I'm sorry I was not precise enough.
Yes, what they explain requires a plugin they developed, but that plugin is actually not needed.
Instead of linking user groups with zip codes through that plugin, you can actually directly do it by creating mass actions (with the necessary filters and actions) via the menu System>Mass actions as I was hinting at in my previous message. So no, I stand on what I said before, doing that with HikaShop doesn't require any plugin.

7 years 8 months ago #246031

Thank you for the response I believe I may have not be detailed enough myself. I still do not see how you would get a zip code box to show up on the front end of the product in order to show the price for a product. Mass actions does not have this ability correct?

Also, we thought of a second problem after talking about it with the client. It really needs to first locate you by geolocation and show the price and then if it cannot geolocate you then a zip code box would need to pop up on the product. You would then need to have a way to change your location incase the geolcation address is wrong.

Then, if you were a registered customer it would need to automatically change the price when you were logged in based off of your zip code.

It basically needs to work in the same manner as lowes hardware www.lowes.com/

Maybe I am overlooking something, but I don't see how this could be accomplished without custom programming.

7 years 8 months ago #246034

Hi,

I was actually talking about the prices based on the zip code of the user in his address of his user account.
So yes, if you want an input box to let the customer enter his zip code on the product page, that's not possible for now.

Having the prices set per zip code with a zip code input module is not in the plans, and since PolishedGeek already have a solution for that, I would recommend to go with that. Even if it's not up to date with HikaShop, it would be way more easy to make it compatible with the current version, than restarting from scratch since it already does what you want.

• Thank you received: 94
7 years 7 months ago #248842

Hi, I thought I would provide some feedback on the end result of this inquiry. I'm pleased to say that Polished Geek was hired to provide this customization.

We've only had a handful of requests for pricing by location over the years, and each store owner had unique requirements for exactly how it needs to work. So the following is what was custom built for this particular client.

Polished Geek updated and modified our previous component and added several custom features. This is delivered and already in production on their client's live site now. Sorry I can't share the site, but since we were not hired directly by the end customer it's not appropriate for me to post it to this forum.

Here's what we built:
- When a site visitor arrives, we use geo location to determine their zip/state
- The zip/state location is used to display the appropriate price to the site visitor
- We display their geo location in a module on the page that also allows the site visitor to enter a different zip code and change their pricing location (in case they are using a VPN or something else that provides an incorrect IP location)
- If the site visitor has blocking on that prevents geo location from locating them, then no pricing is displayed and they are asked to enter their zip code first to view prices
- When the customer checks out, we verify the final pricing against their shipping address to ensure accuracy.
- If the price of an item increases due to their shipping location being different from the original zipcode-based price when added to the cart, we display a customer service message advising them that their price has changed due to location. We also add a small message under the final total, just above the Place Order (Finish) button on the checkout to make sure customers are aware that pricing has changed due to location.
- If the price of an item decreases after it was added to the cart, based on the actual shipping location, we don't display those messages. (No one ever complains about paying less!)

There is quite a bit more complexity to this than what I listed above. There are many use cases that have to be handled, including when a site visitor logs into an existing account and their most recent shipping address causes a location & price change. We have to handle these situations correctly and gracefully before and after items are added to the cart. Plus several other variations of how the site visitor might flow through the shopping and checkout experience.

I've mentioned zip code as the primary pricing feature above, and you might wonder why someone would want that vs. just having different prices by state. Zip codes are used to provide the flexibility to modify pricing by distinct areas within a state. The website owner using this customization is not limited to charging prices by state, but can easily break a state up into as many distinct groups of zip codes they want, and vary pricing within a state, without any other custom code being developed. It's just some configuration at that point and it all still works.

The business reason for supporting this pricing flexibility is the products being sold are for books of prepaid tickets to receive a service. Delivering that service can cost the client a different amount to deliver in various locations across each state, due to labor costs. This custom enhancement doesn't require you to have different prices by zip, it just gives you the power to do it.

This same HikaShop customization approach could be modified to provide different prices by any type of location.... city, zip/postal code, state, country.

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds