New Google Products Feed Changes (30 October 2017)

• Thank you received: 5
6 years 6 months ago #280652

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.2.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.7.5
-- PHP version -- : 5.6.26

Hello, can you please advise if the recent announcement from Google that they are changing the requirments for automatic google product feeds.

Changes to improve the user experience
Until now, automatic item updates has been using structured data annotations on your website to reduce the likelihood of price and availability mismatches between your Shopping ads and landing pages.

From 30 October 2017, the most up-to-date price and availability for your products will be determined by structured data annotations or additional information (when structured data is not available), so that your customers will have a more consistent, high-quality experience on Google Shopping.

Can you please advise if this will affect the HikaShop feed?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13062
6 years 6 months ago #280679

Hi,

This basically means that from now on, the prices of the products will be taken directly from the structured data (microdata) on your product pages and not from your google products feed.
HikaShop has structured data by default on the product pages, so it should be all good, unless you have a template with custom overrides of the product page which breaks the structured data...
The best is to test your product pages structured data so that you're sure that everything will go alright:
search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/

• Thank you received: 4
6 years 5 months ago #282138

hallo.

i'm on the google feed also. Does that mean that there is no more need to upload the feed file?

I made the recommended test and there were warnings because of the tags shown on the product page

Can the plugin be disabled?

on the merchant site from google there is still the option to upload periodically a feed. The feed created by the plugin gives errors like in the file attached.
Is there some update avaialable?

File Attachment:

File Name: hikashop.f...port.csv
File Size:104 KB

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Cattelan.

6 years 5 months ago #282148

Hi,

No, if you read the message that you pasted from Google, it says that the price will be taken from the microdata.
So Google Products will still need your feed for all the rest of the data of your products.
So you should not deactivate the plugin.

Also, your screenshot doesn't have any error. On the top right of the screenshot, you can see that it says "0 errors".
So it should work just fine.
It just tells you that there is a tag attribute it doesn't recognize, but that's not a problem. The attribute keywords will just be ignored.

• Thank you received: 4
6 years 5 months ago #282162

Thanks for your quick reply. The warning is about the category of the products. I tried to add the numeric id if the categories and it worked without warning.

It seems that the plugin doesn't transfer the xml file to Google. There is an optiin in merchants to retrieve file from site periodically.
Could you tell me please where the file is stored?

Thanks in advance

6 years 5 months ago #282166

Hi,

The XML file will be stored based on what you set in the "local path" and "file name" fields of the plugin. So I can't say exactly since I don't know what you put there.
If you put just "myfolder" in the path and "myfile.xml" in the file name, then the file will be stored in /your/website/root/myfolder/myfile.xml

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bankthaworn

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds