First Data Payment Plugin - Check Billing Address

• Thank you received: 18
  • Hikashop Business
5 years 10 months ago #293559

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.2.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.8

Is there any way to check the user's billing address with the credit card number to prevent fraudulent attempts at purchasing products with compromised credit cards?

The reason i ask is that we have received about 8 fraudulent charges in the last week. Most websites will not let the credit card payment go through in the billing address is incorrect. Please advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13062
5 years 10 months ago #293563

Hi,

Some payment gateways offer that capability.
For some of them, it's simply an option to activate (or pay) on their payment gateway merchant account.
For some of them, it requires the integration of some code in the payment plugin. It can be only a few lines, or it can be a lot more, it depends on the API.
I would first recommend to check with your payment gateway what solution they offer for the API you're using ( payeezy Hosted Checkout Payment Pages I suppose).

• Hikashop Business
5 years 10 months ago #293577

We are using First Data. Is this feature typically referred to the same thing on every payment processor? I came across something called 3DSecure but wasn't sure if that was what I was looking for.

5 years 10 months ago #293585

Hi,

No, 3D secure is something else.
3D secure is a security system used widely in the EU. However, almost no one uses it outside it.
3D secure system will add a validation step to the payment by sending a SMS to the mobile phone of the owner of the card so that he can enter that code on the payment gateway to validate the payment.
That ensures that the person who made the payment is the owner of the credit card.
We actually have that activated on the "payplug" payment method we offer on the checkout of our website.
That way, you completely avoid fraud. However, since we sell worldwide, many customers of ours don't have 3D secure credit cards and thus can't use that payment method. That's why we also offer PayPal as another payment method.

What you're talking about is something usually referred as AVS:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Verification_System

• Hikashop Business
5 years 8 months ago #296568

Sorry for the delayed response.

How would I go about adding this to the First Data Payment plugin or is this a feature they even offer?

If not, is there another credit card processor you would recommend? We are getting 5-10 fraud orders each week. Billing address is correct on the compromised card, but the shipping address is different.

5 years 8 months ago #296590

Hi,

AVS support kind be done in three ways:
- the payment gateway supports it (with a different name probaby) and in that case, if activated for your merchant account, when it sends the payment notification to your website, it will include AVS security result check so that you can potentially block or not the confirmation of the order or sometimes even the payment. In that case, it requires modification to the payment plugin.
- Sometimes, when you activate it in your merchant account, the check is done during the payment process and thus there is nothing to do in the payment plugin as the transaction is only accepted if it pass the check (that's the best way I think).
- You can also implement a custom plugin to integrate with a third party AVS check web service so that even if your payment gateway doesn't support it you can do it.

So the first thing to do is to check with your payment gateway merchant support what they offer.

If you're in Europe, then use a payment gateway where you can activate the 3d secure. That will prevent fraud regardless of the shipping address. That's the best method.
If you're not in Europe, then AVS is what you want but I'm not familiar with that much.
I know that Authorize.net has options in that respect if you're in the USA and no modification is needed in the plugin for that :
account.authorize.net/help/Account/Setti...ion_System_(AVS).htm

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds