Dependant variants/characteristics

• Thank you received: 0
8 years 9 months ago #209499

-- url of the page with the problem -- : store.everjoy.com/index.php/hikashop/str...nant-violin-e-string
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.5.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.3
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.40
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : None

Hello, is there a way that I can set a workflow for a product variants/characteristics?

Something similar to this website:
www.swstrings.com/product/strings/violin/GP-J56S

Before I can select String, I must select Size first, so on so forth.

I would like this because for my website (URL page with problem)
I have five variants:
steel-ball
steel-loop
aluminum-ball
aluminum-loop
tin-ball

You can see that I don't have tin-loop as a variant.

However, I can still select tin and loop as an option, but it will show up as free (though you cannot add to cart).
So basically, I would like it so that I must select tin first, and when I do, the loop option would not show up on the drop down menu.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 9 months ago #209529

Hi,

That feature is not provided by default by HikaShop
But it could be possible but it requires special code in the product page view (using a view override) ; with mostly javascript addition in order to make the process dynamic and hide/show values in the drop downs.
I know that some thread talk about similar request but where more oriented in the fact that the drop downs where show one by one, each time than the previous drop down received a value.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: everjoymusic

• Thank you received: 94
8 years 9 months ago #209576

Depending on how user-friendly you would like the product selection to be, you could develop custom JavaScript as suggested above, or implement a nice product configurator frontend to lead the customer through the choices step by step, enforcing all related dependencies. Something like this custom drum configurator: www.snarekings.com/kingfigurator/

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by PolishedGeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: everjoymusic

5 years 8 months ago #295900

Hello,

Is creating custom javascript still the only solution for this?

Thanks,

• Thank you received: 1778
5 years 8 months ago #295913

Hello,

Well, if your product dropdowns shouldn't affect the total price of your product, the solution can be to use custom item fields, and the "Display limited to" option, which will enable you to display / hide other item fields depending on the value you selected for your item field.

Best regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

5 years 8 months ago #295950

Hello,

I already have created characteristics totaling in 80K+ variants. Going back to the drawing board is not a suitable option for me. If I were to hire one of your developers to make custom javascript will they be able to make a global javascript code that identifies when a variant does not exist it can show out of stock? Or will they need to make a unique code for thousands of products and maintain this when the products variants are updated.

I am very surprised Hikashop does not have a simple solution for this to allow the use of variants without custom coding. It seems it should be a fundamental feature right out of the box. Just about anyone creating a large shop would be running into this situation...

Do you have any other suggestions or feedback?

@PolishedGeek - feel free to add feedback too.

Thanks,
Derek

• Thank you received: 13069
5 years 8 months ago #295956

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. You can already use vairants and it already shows them as out of stock when they don't exist. There is nothing particular to do for that, it's out of the box.
This thread is about dynamically updating the characteristic dropdowns on the product page so that the customer cannot select a non-existant variant. That indeed requires custom javascript. The code, if done properly, can be generic so that it will work even when you add new products, variants, characteristics, etc.
PolishedGeek, like other developer partners of ours, has the knowledge to work on such project:
www.hikashop.com/home/our-partners.html
Note also, that a simpler solution is to change the "characteristic selection method" to "list" in the HikaShop configuration in order to display oa list of only the existing variants on the product page. That way, you don't have to code anything. But maybe it won't suits your needs ?

5 years 6 months ago #298766

Hello
I have same requirement to hide non existing characteristics in drop-down list.
if we ask you , will you implement it for us? I am currently on latest 4.0 version and this feature is still missing.
thanks

Attachments:

5 years 6 months ago #298773

Hi,

If you need a cheap and quick solution as I proposed previously with some javascript, this can be done by our partners:
www.hikashop.com/home/our-partners.html
If you need something done by us properly and that we would add in HikaShop by default, we actually want to work on that next year. However, that will require redeveloping the whole characteristic/variant refresh system on the product page. It's a big project that will take a few weeks/months to work on.

5 years 6 months ago #299375

this is very sad that a commercial software is shipping broken features and advertising them as complete.
this topic has been open already 3 rears and no attention has been given to it.

5 years 6 months ago #299394

Hi,

It's not a broken feature.
You're just asking for something it doesn't do. And nowhere did we say that you can have dependant variants/characreristics.
If you check our demo website on how the characteristics work you can see how it works:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/ja/hikashop/...with-characteristics

And I did told you that we want to work on that capability next year. So it's not like we don't give any attention to that request. It's just that we didn't come around doing it yet.

I'm sorry but I can't give you what we don't have yet.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds