Making product versions selectable

• Thank you received: 13064
7 years 9 months ago #244689

Hi,

First, I would personally change the "After a product is added to the cart" setting to "Always go to the checkout", like it is by default.
That way, the customer doesn't have to search for the "proceed to checkout" button to finish his order, he's already on the checkout.

I would also add the main shop page URL in the "Continue shopping button's URL" setting so that the customer would get a button on the checkout to go to the shop to purchase other stuff.

I would also allow for "guest" checkout in the "registration" setting of the checkout.

And if you didn't disable the user account validation of the Joomla user manager, I would also do that so that there is no back and forth necessary between the browser and the email client of the customer to do his checkout. That will need less steps and be much easier for the customer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 9 months ago #244762

A new question, and 4 followups to your last message -

1 - Is there a way to order product display? It's defaulting to "oldest first, newest last." I would prefer to be able to hand-select the order of products shown, or at least to have the newest products on top rather than on the bottom of the list.

In reference to your last message to me:

2) We've really gone back and forth on the "after a product is added to the cart" setting. We've tried it both ways - neither seems a perfect answer on this. As you observed, if you have the popup, then you have to hunt for the checkout / cart. But on the other hand - If you go right to the cart, then anyone wanting to select more than one item on the same product page would have to find their way there time after time. This would be worst on something like a CD with 12 songs - you'd have to find your way back to the CD page 12 times to order all the songs on the same CD.

Better, we thought, to have them hunt for the cart once, than multiple times for different variants. I haven't even put my most complex projects on yet - stage shows with 45 variants (songs in a stage production.) That's why we chose that popup option.

Even better would be some kind of control where you can checkbox all the variants you want on a given product, and then add them all to the cart at once when you're one. (I've seen this feature on some other music sites.) Any way to accomplish that? Or am I better off just doing what I'm doing?

3) We don't yet have a "main shopping page." After I input all the products, I'll create one, and take your suggestion to add a "continue shopping link" leading to that page.

4) "Guest checkout" - how does that work, and what does it accomplish? How is it different than regular registration? (I've been following OS Training's tutorial series on Hikashop to learn how to do many tasks - but they are just using the "Free" version on their tutorials, and I have the "Business" version. So their tutorials don't address "Guest Checkout," since that feature isn't included in the "Free" version.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by: "so that there is no back and forth necessary between the browser and the email client of the customer to do his checkout." Do I still get the customer's email (for subsequent newsletter contacts) and address ( to accurately charge or not charge tax, based on their location?) PS - where is that "user account validation" control, so I can disable it as you suggest, if I choose to do that.

Also - I've started getting a lot of "bogus registrations" ever since allowing registration on my sites. Would "Guest Checkout" address that problem? Or is there another course you'd suggest to avoid that?

5) My original question - are there places I am still allowed to put in explanatory comments, to help customers along the way Specifically - my customer wrote to me first saying "The shopping cart won't allow me to pay with a credit card," so I had to write back to her to tell her to do it as a "Guest" in Paypal. Second, she asked if the product would be arriving by mail or by email. (I thought this was obvious by the fact it was listed as a PDF - guess not - looks like I have to clarify that somewhere.) Finally, she wrote me that she couldn't download her product - she didn't see the little blue link containing the product title at first, since the default first displays the link to the site. I'd like to include a brief message at the top of the email so from the time it arrives, customers know where to look for and how to access their product, without having to hunt for it or email me for instructions. How and where could I add these clarifications?

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by CarrieWrigley.

7 years 9 months ago #244765

Hi,

1. In your products listing in the backend, make sure that you select the "direct sub elements" choice in the top right dropdown and you'll see an "order" column on the listing which allows you to reorder your products in each category for the listings.

2. Change the "Display the quantity field on the product page" setting to "global on listing" in the HikaShop configuration and it will work like that.

4.a The guest checkout removes the name/username/password fields from the registration form and doesn't create a user account for the customer. The advantage is that there is less stuff to fill in for the customer and thus better conversion of sales.

4.b Yes, you still get the email address and the address of the customer. As I said in my previous message, that setting is available in the Joomla user manager options page as it is a Joomla setting, not a HikaShop one.

4.c Guest checkout wouldn't help for bogus registrations. Users would still be able to register through the Joomla registration page.
But you can turn off the registration in the Joomla user manager settings. And if you have the guest checkout, people will still be able to checkout and won't be able to register, so no bogus registrations.

5. You can't modify much the PayPal payment page. What a lot of merchants do is that they setup something like PayPal Pro where the credit card form is directly integrated in the checkout of HikaShop. That way, it's easier for customers to either their credit card data.

Then, you should redirect your customer to the download area of HikaShop after the payment by enter the URL of the download area (you can activate the option "Enable customer download area" in the HikaShop configuration and create a new menu item of the type "HikaShop user download area" via the Joomla menu manager to get such menu item) in the "return URL" setting of your PayPal payment method.

Now you can also add custom text in the different areas. You can do that by editing the view files corresponding to where you want to add the texts via the menu Display>Views.
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/1...-display.html#layout

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by nicolas.

7 years 9 months ago #245091

Thanks for telling me how to order my products. This worked great, to Change the "Display the quantity field on the product page" setting to "global on listing" in the HikaShop configuration and it will work like that." It worked so great, in fact, that both my developer and me wondered why that's not the default in the first place, or why a control so important is not named something to do with ordering, so you know what it is by looking at it? Just a thought. :-)

I followed your instructions, resulting in them lining up in the order I put them, both on the Products Listing on the backend, and also in an "All Products" category I displayed on the front end.

However - the ordering hasn't had any impact at all on ordering in ANY of the other categories or subcategories. I had hoped that the ordering I did in the backend would produce that same order throughout the site, in all the categories and subcategories.

Is there a setting to make that happen? If not - then how do I order the products within all the other categories and subcategories?
What I mostly want is an alphabetical listing, with most popular products on top. Instead, it displays them in the order they were input - which was pretty random, and makes products hard to find, even if you know what you're looking for - even for me who created the pages. Suggestions?

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by CarrieWrigley.

7 years 9 months ago #245098

It appears that I found at least one answer to my own question. Looks like ALL the categories and subcategories display their own list when selected in the backend Product list, and that this ordering has nothing to do with the ordering on the overall Product category. They can each be ordered individually, by the same process applied with the Product category - choosing "direct sub elements" in the drop-down (rather than the default "All sub elements") and then ordering them manually with the controls that pop up.

I do wish there was, at least initially, an option to order all the Products globally, across all the categories - and then adjust them if needed within the categories and subcategories. Not having that means LOTS of extra time to replicate ordering in all the categories. Also wish there was an option to just alphabetize the products within one or more categories - at least as a starting place. That would save tons of time.

Or am I missing something here? Is there a more streamlined way to get all my ordering to match what I did in the Products category, at least initially? And/or, to alphabetize a Product list?

7 years 9 months ago #245093

Hi,

Having it by default to "global on listing" would not be appropriate. Most merchants don't want that.
The naming of the options can always be improved but the name includes already "quantity field" which points to the way the quantity field is displayed and that what the option does. It changes the way the quantity field is being displayed. Some graphical selection would probably be more intuitive.

Then, it's quite easy. Edit all your HikaShop products/categories listing menu items via the Joomla menu manager, and under the "products options" tab there, set the "ordering column" to "product_name" and it will be ordered alphabetically.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by nicolas.

7 years 9 months ago #245349

Ah yes - that worked great to alphabetize through the menu manager "product_name." Thank you!

I caught my mistake too late on my last post - when speaking of what I wish was a default, I mistakenly copied over the "global on listing" in the "quantity field" (which I agree, not everyone wants - including me, as it turns out) - rather than what I intended to copy -

1. In your products listing in the backend, make sure that you select the "direct sub elements" choice in the top right dropdown and you'll see an "order" column on the listing which allows you to reorder your products in each category for the listings.

Seeing the ordering column activated there is what I wished was the default. In any case, as always, thanks for the wonderful advice, and the wonderful product. My sites are shaping up so nicely, with your helpful input. Thank you!! :)

7 years 9 months ago #245378

Hi,

Next version of HikaShop will actually allow you to order products even with the dropdown set to "all sub elements" as long as the current category doesn't have any sub categories. So it should be more intuitive.

7 years 8 months ago #246166

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "order products even with the dropdown set to "all sub elements" as long as the current category doesn't have any sub categories." Please clarify?

"More intuitive" I understand, and look forward to. When will this new release likely be available? Are there other features it will add?

For my purposes, the more customizable Hikashop becomes, the better - particularly the capacity to order more than one product file from the same page. I've already created CD pages with multiple mp3's available from the same product page, and sheet music/recording pages where a customer can order both a PDF (sheet music) and an MP3 (recording) of the same song from a single product page with a description of the song. What I need to add next are pages with full programs, with PDF's and MP3's of various different songs on a similar theme available from the same page. I'm hoping to start this phase of development at the end of August. So I'm hoping the new version of Hikashop will have some new features that can help.

Including - I asked you before about an add-to-cart "button" that can be input into a standard Joomla page. That format is how I created program pages (with multiple file downloads) in my old shopping cart. Could you tell me more about how to implement "add to cart" buttons in Hikashop? Or, if there's any other thoughts you have about displaying a multiplicity of downloadable products on the same page?

Also - I asked you before about locating a developer with expertise in Hikashop, that can help me develop a plugin to make adding these multiple files easier. (right now we're having to code it all in HTML to add the additional files.) I'm really hoping by September or so to expand this site as a multi-vendor site, with HikaMarket, to allow other musicians to add their work to this site. But I'll need to simplify the process of product entry to make that feasible, as my musician friends are even more scared of HTML coding than I was. Hoping to find someone who can help develop a "Hikashop Music" plugin to facilitate this, for me and for others. For years, I've searched the internet, and seen evidence of other musicians looking for an effective way to sell their music online. I'm hoping to a pioneer a course for other musicians, as well as making a way for myself. But need a Joomla-friendly developer with Hikashop expertise to help. Suggestions?

7 years 8 months ago #246177

Hi,

1. It means that it won't matter what you select in the "all sub elements" dropdown. You'll be able to sort the products by simply clicking on the left explorer on the category where the products you want to order are.

2. The next release is scheduled for august. There will be other features yes. There are always many features and improvements in each release we do. I invite you to check the change log to get an idea:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/5...ashop-changelog.html

3. Having add to cart buttons in Joomla content is already possible. Here is a tutorial which explains that:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/1...-product-insert.html

4. Regarding skilled developers able to help you and knowing well HikaShop, I would start on our partners page:
www.hikashop.com/home/our-partners.html
Contact the different developer there with a clear explanation of what you want and you should get back some quotes.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds