Set canonical url in greek

• Thank you received: 11
  • Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246475

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.5.1
-- PHP version -- : 5.5

Hello,

my client insists on this so i have to ask cause i m lost, when i m at a product page i need the product alias to be in greek and to remove the word "product" from the path. For example:
/κοινοχρηστα-εκδοση-κοινοχρηστων/product/1-koinoxrista-ekdosi-koinoxriston
i need this to be
/κοινοχρηστα-εκδοση-κοινοχρηστων/product-name

I m not quite sure how to use canonical url.

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
7 years 8 months ago #246482

Hi,

Remove the text in the "SEF product name" setting and that will remove the "product" part.
Turn on the "remove category and product ids from URLs and that will remove the 1- part.
Then, remove the product alias and make sure that you activate the unicode SEF setting of your Joomla configuration and the SEF system will use the product name with the greek letters and you'll get the result you want.

If you have a canonical URL in your products, you might still get the old URLs after the change, so you would have to also remove the canonical URL entered in the products.

The following user(s) said Thank You: verzevoul

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246552

Hi nicolas,
I did all the things you said but i could not get the result i wish.

Remove the text in the "SEF product name" setting and that will remove the "product" part.

That worked fine.

Turn on the "remove category and product ids from URLs and that will remove the 1- part.

With that setting to YES i get the message "product not found".

Then, remove the product alias and make sure that you activate the unicode SEF setting of your Joomla configuration and the SEF system will use the product name with the greek letters and you'll get the result you want.

Done, but i still get english characters instead of greek (.../2-agoranomiki-diataksi).

I removed the canonical url. I will sent you admin if you can check it?

Thank you

• Thank you received: 114
7 years 8 months ago #246588

Hi,

I may be wrong but do you use canonical urls? If yes, your every product should have saved it in the product edition canonical url settings. You should delete it and system will generate new one.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246593

Hi kyratn,

i have deleted all canonical urls.

7 years 8 months ago #246559

Hi,

We can have a look yes, but it definitely comes from the alias of your products.
Make sure that the alias you have in the product correspond to the alias in the URL or it won't work.
If you don't find the problem, please provide a precise example of the problem with the necessary links and access so that we can check it.
I went to your website but everything is in Greek, I don't speak Greek and can't read it, and I didn't find any listing of products or categories.

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by nicolas.

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246660

Hi,
sorry but i m a little lost here. My product title is in greek and you said to remove the product alias. So where are the latin characters come from?
So, i m not sure what i m doing wrong.
I will sent you links to specific product to see.

Thank you

7 years 8 months ago #246676

Hi,

The latin letters are generated automatically out of the greek product name by the Joomla SEF system when the "unicode alias" setting is turned off in the Joomla configuration.
But I don't see any change in the URLs when I change that setting, even for the menu items aliases, like if you had some cache on the SEF URLs, or the pages. I wasn't able to determine where that was coming from. But the settings in your website are correct regarding the alias/SEF as far as I can see.

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246726

So what else can i try? Is it possible do it with the canonical urls?

7 years 8 months ago #246739

Hi,

Yes, Set the URL with the greek letters instead of the transliterated ones and put the same letters in the alias of the product (so that when the link is clicked on, the SEF system will be able to match the text in the URL with the alias of the product).
If the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting is activated, the system will use the canonical URL instead of generating dynamically the URL.
If you don't see a change when you do that, it will only confirm that there is some caching of the URLs somewhere on your website.

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246800

Hi,

i created new product to test and it shows again latin characters, i don't know where tha cache issue might come from, the site is new so i haven't done much yet. Also, the site is not online yet, is on the server. So if i use canonical urls isn't that going to be a problem for when the site will be online?
I tried to use canonical url to check if that will do it and the link of the product redirected me to home page.
I set the canonical in the database, i will send you the link of the product to check.
It does not work either.

Thank you

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by verzevoul.

7 years 8 months ago #246817

Hi,

No, having canonical URLs is not a problem when moving the website because you only enter the relative URL.
So you would enter for example: /κοινοχρηστα-εκδοση-κοινοχρηστων/product-name
Did you also enter the alias in the product ?
Can you give the link that it generated on the frontend on the listing ? Can you give a link to the listing where that link is so that we can see the problem ?

• Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246873

Hi nicolas,

i sent you yesterday backend/frontend links didn't you get my email? I just saw that it works now, the products do have greek letters in the alias. You filled the canonical url?
I see that you have entered the product-id-product-name, without the id it says product not found, so i must always enter the product id in the canonical url?
Why does the product crash if i set the "Remove products and categories id in URLs" to yes?

Thank you

7 years 8 months ago #246886

Hi,

I didn't change anything on your website.

The system can work without the id in the URL as long as the alias in the URL correspond to the alias in the product. If there is a difference, it will say "product not found". When you have the product id in the URL, you can actually have the text you want after it regardless of the alias or the name of the product. The system will only rely on the product id in the URL to load the product. That's why you don't get the error with the id in it.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds