• Thank you received: 0
5 years 6 months ago #299301

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.0.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.13
-- PHP version -- : 7.1
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : No errors

We are new to HikaShop.

We've created our product Categories and entered our Brands—so far so good. Next is to configure product Colors and Sizes.

The question is how best to set Characteristics up. For instance under Products/Characteristics would we create one characteristic group called Colors and enter ALL the colors across ALL manufacturers and products? We have the same question for Sizes.

Or would we create individual characteristic groups for each product since colors and sizes can vary from product to product and manufacturer?

Thanks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13065
5 years 6 months ago #299310

Hi,

You can create one characteristic with all the possible values.
Then, after you add the characteristic in the product, under the "variants" tab, you can select the values that will apply to the product when adding the variants for that specific product.

5 years 6 months ago #299346

So it sounds like it's the same process as for creating brands—create a list and choose from that list for each product.

So for example if we are selling a particular style polo shirt that is available for men, a slightly different cut for women, is available in a variety of sizes (xs–xxl), as well as different colors, and there may be a price difference — how do we set that up properly in HikaShop?

For instance the product code for mens and womens versions will be different whereas unisex would be the same. Or there may be a price difference between the xs and xxl.

And for inventory purposes how do we attach inventory quantity to each variant?

Thank you!

Paul

5 years 6 months ago #299348

Hi,

You'll see, after you add the variants (color, size, etc) for the product, you can edit each variant. When you do, you'll get a form similar to the main product form where you can enter information specific to that variant.
If the field is left empty in the variant, then it dynamically uses the value from the main product.
If the field is filled in in the variant, it's that value that is used.
So for the stock, you can leave for example the quantity unlimited in the main product and enter the quantity for each variant.
Or you can enter the stock on the main product only and the stock will be shared among the variants.
Or you can specify the stock in each variant and the total stock in the main product and both will be updated after a purchase while only the variant stock will be taken into account when purchasing a specific variant.

And it's the same for the prices, and basically any other information attached to products.

5 years 5 months ago #299572

Ok so I created a Characteristic called COLORS and added in all the color options across all the products. When I go to Characteristics in the product I can add COLORS but then only 1 default color. I cannot insert all the colors for that specific product.

5 years 5 months ago #299573

Hi,

Once you add the colors characteristic to the product, you'll have a "variants" tab at the top of the page. Click on it and then click on the "add variants" button there.

5 years 5 months ago #299654

Ok—I see how this works. However for one product we have Mens/Womens (2), Colors (5), and sizes (6) and it appears that we can only create 15 variants—is that so?

So my next question is both technical and strategic. Does it make more sense to create 2 products: one for men and one for women? Might make sense to do this if Men and Women were also categories shoppers can filter by.

Thoughts?

5 years 5 months ago #299657

Hi,

HikaShop has no limit on the number of variants you can create. So you should be able to create more of them.

Above a hundred it can start to become problematic as it can be a lot of data to load on the product page and it might crash the processing of the page based on your hosting setup.
But 60 variants shouldn't be a problem.

Having different products can make sense since anyways when you search for clothes, you usually search for only one sex at a time. But I don't know the specifics of your needs. Technically, either way shouldn't be a problem. Strategically, we would need more context to say. All I can say is that many shops selling clothes online separate the men and the women sections.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds