Restrict product availability by several zones

• Thank you received: 3
8 years 11 months ago #199917

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.4.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.1
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.39

Hi,

Before you tell me this question is answered let me explain...

I am already using the Shipping Method trick to exclude some of my products from the EU. Now I have a new product that is only available to users in US. Since the EU exclusion works on fake product weight I suppose I could conceivably use fake product volume to trick the system into excluding non-US customers for my new product.

But I ask myself and you how deep into what is basically a kludge should we be going? Is there anything else I can use?

Best regards,

Conrad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13062
8 years 11 months ago #199921

Hi,

The volume/weight restrictions of shipping plugins was a trick to make it work for simple cases when HikaShop didn't had anything better to handle exclusion of products for certain zones.

Since one or two years, there is new feature to handle that properly:
You can turn on the "use shipping price per product" option of your shipping methods to add a new "shipping prices" area at the bottom of the product edition page where you can set the shipping price of the product for each shipping method, but also block shipping methods when that product is in the cart. So if you have different shipping methods for different areas, you can use that method to prevent shipping to some areas when some products are in the cart.

8 years 11 months ago #199951

Sorry, but just to get this clear in step-by-step fashion. I want a virtual product that only ships to the US so:

1) I create shipping method with zone US with use shipping price per product option set to YES

2) I create shipping method with zone Rest of World with use shipping price per product option set to YES

3) in my product I set shipping method 2) blocked.

That's all? Correct?

8 years 11 months ago #199952

And another thing ...

I really need to provide the user with a different message in these two cases:

a) products that are blocked to EU countries we say "contact distributor"

b) product blocked outside USA we say " sorry not available in your territory"

For case a) I did a language file override. Now I'm a bit snookered for handling case b)

Conrad

8 years 11 months ago #199955

Answered my own question. I used the fake product weight to handle the EU restrictions and the "new proper way" to handle the US restriction, so two different messages with suitable overrides.

Closing in on perfection here :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds