Help with USPS Shipping methom

• Thank you received: 18
6 years 2 months ago #286947

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.eutopiantrader.com
-- HikaShop version -- : 3.2.2

Hi Guys,
Long time no post. I spent over 2 months in the hospital which is why you have not seen me due to that spinal infection which caused me to get 2 compression fractures of the affected vertebra.

Here is my problem. I have my USPS Plugin set up for First Class Express and Flat Rate priority. However, I can never seem to get them to work correctly. Right now I have them set up with the weights set as the rates should support however, I keep getting "No shipping methods configured" The only way that they will display the correct option is if I turn on a per order shipping choice which I don't want to use, but when that is turned on, then it will display the option for the correct Flat Rate postage options. If I turn off the $3.00 per order shipping option then I get "No shipping methods configured" turn on the $3.00 per order option then it displays that one, plus the appropriate shipping method (2 options).

This makes no sense what so ever. I really need someone to please login to my site and help me get these working correctly. I really think that there is a serious issue with the USPS Shipping plugin because it never seems to work as it should. I don't understand why it never provides the correct options even though they appear to be configured correctly, yet in the past when you guys have looked youve said that it's working correctly, but I can not make it work. I have been trying to get this to work right for the last 2 weeks since I have been home and I have had to keep my site in Catalog mode because it will not work.

I don't think this is something that should be handled via hiring someone to create a custom solution, this is something that the plugin should handle yet it does not.

I will provide all the proper login access if someone can please help me out because I am ready to ditch HikaShop for another product that does not take such creative solutions to make what should be a widely used plugin to work.

The plugins should allow for configurations in order with the proper postage restrictions but it doesn't work this way and if it does then there is something wrong, if it truly is my config or how I am supposed to use it, then I will admit I am wrong but I think there is more going on here then just how I am trying to use them. I am setting them up based on the restriction set for the methods I am using and they will not work.

Thanks,

John

(HikaShop Business 3.2.0 [1709061916])

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1778
6 years 2 months ago #286996

Hello John,

I hope you're doing well.

The plugins should allow for configurations in order with the proper postage restrictions but it doesn't work this way and if it does then there is something wrong, if it truly is my config or how I am supposed to use it, then I will admit I am wrong but I think there is more going on here then just how I am trying to use them. I am setting them up based on the restriction set for the methods I am using and they will not work.

Can you give us more information about how you exactly want your shipping methods to be set and also how you have set them through some screenshots ? So that we can reproduce it on our end.

Best regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

6 years 2 months ago #287029

Hi Mohamed,

Im definitely doing better than I was, thank you very much for asking! I have missed being around and working with you guys even though that has meant more work for you :)

Please allow me sometime today to get you all the information as you requested. I will provide what the USPS Shipping requirements are for each Postage option I have choosen as well as screenshots as best I can get them for you for each one I have configured. Honeslty I don't understand why this has been such an issue since my sites inception as I have tried to set them up in line with what the actual USPS Restrictions are for each method I have chosen. I have been using USPS for all my shipping needs for over 5 years, so I know the rules for set by USPS for each option I have tried to set up like the back of my hand and thus used those rules when setting up the plugin. It just never seems to ever work as such. I would much like to keep using HikaShop but I have yet to be able to keep the site open for customers for more than 1 week in the last 6 months because just when I get things working, something changes and the plugins start failing again. I just don't get it. So, I will get you all the screenshots and what the rules are for each method as set by USPS which I have tried to emuate.

Thank you again and cheers my friend!

John

6 years 2 months ago #287033

Ok, Attached are the screenshots. Where you don't see any additional config at the bottom of the 3rd screenshot for each that is not in the shot are not included because those entries are completely empty, nothing configured there just left blank.

1 - First Class Postage - Insurance Added ($1.89) - USPS Rules - (Leaving Volume Empty but any item Up to 14 Oz - This option should be available.

2. First Class Postage - No Insurance ($1.89 Not Added) - (Leaving Volume Empty but any item Up to 14 Oz - This option should be available.

3. Priority Mail - Padded Envelope - No Volume configured as this never worked when setting this up so I leave it emtpy so the option should just be available if the Minimum weight is fulfulled. Minumum Weight 14 Oz. Max weight Blank as it can be upto 70 lbs. This option should be available.

4. Priority Mail - Medium Flat Rate Box - Minimum items 7 Minimum Weight 14 Oz Tried Entering a Maz Weight of 1120 oz - once fulfiilled should become available.

USPS Rules for each
First Class (with or with out $1.89 additionally added for insurance.
- Min weight 0 Max Weight 13.99 Oz. Volume No required due to that I am shipping

Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelope
- Min Weight 14 Oz Maz Weight - 70 Lbs (1120 Oz) Min / Max items Can configure once the basics work

Priority Flat Rate Medium Box
- Min Weight 14 Oz, Max Weight 70 Lbs (1120 Oz) Min 7 items.

If I can get these to work then the rest of the details can be refined, but I can't even get these to work.

I hope this helps based on the screenshots and what I have provided.

Thank you and Cheers!

John

Attachments:

6 years 2 months ago #287080

Hello John,

Sure it helped ! Can you also test it with dimensions on your products ? We'll also test it on our end with the same configuration to check if we can reproduce your issue.

Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

6 years 2 months ago #287139

Hi Mohamed,

Regretfully I am not quite sure how to set this up using the actual volume or dimensions restrictions which is why I have never used them. The few times I tried to use them, I guess I has always done so incorrectly because anytime I would fill in the entries I always got "No Shipping Methods Found".

I am not sure if they are supposed to be calcuated cumulatively, meaning L x W x H for each individual item, or L x W x H of all items together? So for example if I have 3 items each having a L = 6.0 in W = 0.5 in H = 1.0 in do I place it in them in like that or would it be adding all 3 together so it would be L = 18 in W = 1.5 in H = 3.0 in?

I am just not sure which way to enter this into the dimensions. Does this system know that if I have 1 item it will use the first set of dimentsions, or does it understand that if I have 3 items it will look at the first set of numbers and multiply them by 3 to know that the volume would be the second set of numbers? Basically do enter the dimensions as the Max allowable size for each Postage Class, so then I enter the L x W x H as the maximum allowed size based on the USPS Restrictions for that class and the plugin will look at each items dimensions as configured in the product listing when I added the item, and add those dimensions together to come up with a number that will either be equal to, greater than or less then the max dimentions as configured in the plugin? Sorry if that sounds silly or doesn't make any sense. Basically any time I have tried to use the volume settings, it has always told me that it exceeded the dimensions as configred even when I do the math and come in way below the dimensions as configured in the plugin.

It sounds a little confusing and for me it is, since I can easily fit 3 items in all postage options, but the system always tells me I have exceeded that size. So I want to get it absolutely correct how I am to use the dimensions before I just put the numbers back in there again. This is the reason that I have left these blank since all but a very few items will fit in every postage choice configured, but the system always tells me they wont lol.

I just want to get this right in order to help identiy why this plugin routinely fails me..

Thanks so much for working with me on this. I greatly appreciate it.

Best regards and Cheers!

John

6 years 2 months ago #287165

Hello John,

I am not sure if they are supposed to be calcuated cumulatively, meaning L x W x H for each individual item, or L x W x H of all items together? So for example if I have 3 items each having a L = 6.0 in W = 0.5 in H = 1.0 in do I place it in them in like that or would it be adding all 3 together so it would be L = 18 in W = 1.5 in H = 3.0 in?

No it will just take the highest dimension ("L" in your case) and pill up products so the "grouped" package dimensions will be equals to : L = 6.0 in, W = 1.5, H = 3.0 in

Can we also know why you exactly want to use "Max allowable size for each Postage" options ? You're not forced to use it, you can only use weight restriction for example.

Best regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

6 years 2 months ago #287195

Hi Mohamed,

Ok, so here is where I keep getting lost. If I have a Flat Rate Padded Envelope for example, the Envelope can hold I believe it is L = 14in, W = 12in, H = 4in.... Then using the standard calculating rules for Volume is Length * Width * Height, then in my example the total volume of that envelope would be 672 inches. (seems a bit high but just following the math)

So I would enter the in the USPS Plugin for "Maximum volume" 672 inches? Or do I just enter the Length reflecting the max length of the product and the system will calculate it based on the quantity of items selected (which would be say 5 inches or the length of 1 of the items selected?) I think your suggesting I set the Length as the max length the container will hold?

You also asked "Can we also know why you exactly want to use "Max allowable size for each Postage" options ? You're not forced to use it, you can only use weight restriction for example."

The reason is that due to what Postage Classed I use the USPS has volume restrictions. Meaning that for a First Class Parcel the "Volume" isn't really needed because the items I carry will never exceed the volume restrictions placed by the USPS, however, when it comes to the Priority Mail Packages, these MUST fit within the Flat Rate Envelope, or the Flat Rate Medium Box which are provided by the USPS free of charge. You can NOT use your own packaging, and the packaging that the USPS supplies you has exacting set dimensions which you can not exceed.

This is why it is important for me to use the MAX Volume. The Volume is more imortant than weight unless I am using the First Class Parcel. First Class Parcel (again due to what I sell) weight is more important since you can not ship anything greater then 13.99 Oz otherwise you must choose another shipping method, and all my items that would qualify for First Class Parcel are not large enough to exceed the Volume restrictions.

For Priority Mail it is the opposite. In in this case Volume or Dimensions are most important due to the size of the containers that the products must fit into, and weight means nothing because you can ship anything up to 70 pounds (which my products even cumulatively will never exceed). So weight is no obstical, but they must fit within the space of the box or envelope provided as you can not use your own containers to ship priority mail, you must use what they provide (which thankfully are provided free of cost).

I hope this answers your question, and I hope you can clarify my question hopefully so that I understand what the system is looking for.

Cheers bud!

John

6 years 2 months ago #287302

Hi John,

the Envelope can hold I believe it is L = 14in, W = 12in, H = 4in.... Then using the standard calculating rules for Volume is Length * Width * Height, then in my example the total volume of that envelope would be 672 inches. (seems a bit high but just following the math)

Yes, I just tested it on my end and the calculated volume was 672 in3, I also tested the "Minimum/Maximum volume" option and it worked fine.
So if you don't have any services displayed your issue is either coming from a miscalculation of volume or from the return from the USPS platform which didn't return any rates.

Also, note that when you select an "Envelope" Container through your USPS shipping configuration page a size limit will automatically be applied :
Height 12"
Length 15"
Thickness 3/4"

6 years 2 months ago #287334

Hi Mohamed,

The only Envelope I have selected and configured is the Priority Mail Padded Envelope which is no such "Thickness" of 3/4". Padded Flat Rate Envelopes can be any thinkness as long as it fits in the Padded Envelope. This is the restrictrictions as set by USPS.

I intentionally did not set the dimentions or the Volume or sea as everytime I did, nothing would ever display as an option for available postage choices. I can go back through and correct this, but I was unaware that this was an requirement for postage choices being that most of my items are very small and can fit in any of the container sizes other than the one for First Class Postage which actually has a larger then 3/4" of an inch capacity which is why for the First Class Postage I have chosen the "Variable" containter type.

So I still see that from my perspective there is an issue.

You did clear up one issue for me which is that from what I understand from you, the dimensions would use the largest of the dimensions which would be the "L" or length, so I can make sure that I am calcuating the volume based on this, but what I don't understand is why is the volume a requirement to configure the plugin and not just the weight as I have it configured?

Long story shory, the 3/4" inch restriction is ONLY if choosing the Envelope for standard mail delivery, NOT when sending a parcel, Flat Rate, or Variable Container.

As I mentioned, I have been using USPS for years, and have the restrictions down pat for what is allowable based upon the containre used, the postage rate chosen etc.

I also do not understand why you say it works for you, but in every test I do, it does not. I try clearing the cache on both the server side, and as well my browsers. I have tried this using Chrome and Firefox, and it still refuses to work for me.

Please help me to understand if this works for you, what am I doing wrong that it shows nothing but errors and failures for me. I just don't understand.

I have sent you guys the login credentials for my site using the form to send such details, and would like for you to have another look at my configuration and if possible configure one of them as they should be configured to work for you if possible.

Each of the pocket knives I carry should have dimensions no greated then L=6in W=2in and H-.75 in.. Choose any pocket knife and any postage choice and show me how they should be configured so that if choosen any of the postage choices will be displayed to the customer.

YES - I am asking for you do go a step above what you would normally do, but I can NOT get any thing to work for me, so I need to see what the correct settings should look like so that I can emulate for the rest.

And note again that the Envelope limitation of 3/4 of an inch is only for the selection of Letter with a container of Envelope, NOT a selection of Parcel with a selection of Variable or Padded Envelope.

Thanks and Cheers!

John

6 years 2 months ago #287368

Hello John,

The only Envelope I have selected and configured is the Priority Mail Padded Envelope which is no such "Thickness" of 3/4". Padded Flat Rate Envelopes can be any thinkness as long as it fits in the Padded Envelope. This is the restrictrictions as set by USPS.

We just used restrictions displayed on the USPS website through the "Large Envelopes" tab :
www.usps.com/ship/preparing-domestic-shipments.htm

In which you'll find :
Height 12"
Length 15"
Thickness 3/4"

You did clear up one issue for me which is that from what I understand from you, the dimensions would use the largest of the dimensions which would be the "L" or length, so I can make sure that I am calcuating the volume based on this, but what I don't understand is why is the volume a requirement to configure the plugin and not just the weight as I have it configured?

It actually depends on the shipping platform, some platform want dimensions to be sent and some don't need it but will return rates less accurate.
If you don't need or want to use dimensions with your shipping method, the solution will be to set the "Use product dimension" option to NO.

Long story shory, the 3/4" inch restriction is ONLY if choosing the Envelope for standard mail delivery, NOT when sending a parcel, Flat Rate, or Variable Container.

Yes but if you set the "Container" to an Envelope then that restriction will be applied.

I also do not understand why you say it works for you, but in every test I do, it does not. I try clearing the cache on both the server side, and as well my browsers. I have tried this using Chrome and Firefox, and it still refuses to work for me.

I just meant that the USPS shipping plugin is working fine on my local website.
I can't reproduce it on your end because of the enabled "Catalogue mode" option. If you're facing a "No shipping method found" message issue the best solution will be disable that option and let a directly test it on your website.

And note again that the Envelope limitation of 3/4 of an inch is only for the selection of Letter with a container of Envelope, NOT a selection of Parcel with a selection of Variable or Padded Envelope.

If you really don't want these restrictions to be applied, setting the "Use product dimension" option to YES will do the job.

Best regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kimbare

6 years 2 months ago #287420

Thanks Mohamed, I will go through all the settings again and see if I can get this working as you have helped me to understand.

Catalog mode is only turned on so that customers dont run into the issue I keep running into when doing my shipping tests however, once I run through again what you have explained, I can always turn it back off for further testing.

I will let you know how things go, however, after some issues that came up today all this work may be for naught as I may be switching solutions. I want you to know that I have appreciated every bit of help you have given me, and I truly enjoyed working with and learning from you so ultimately my decision either way is of no reflection of you or the support you have supplied me.

I will not go into details here, but there are some issues that were raised in another post of which I have a problem with and may be reason enough for me to just work with another solution for my company. Thank you very much for everything you have done, and I will see if I can get things atleast somewhat working until which time I decide how i am going to proceed.

Thanks again and cheers!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohamed Thelji, kimbare

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds