US Taxes Not Calculated as Expected

• Thank you received: 1
7 years 4 months ago #256252

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.6.4

I have a client whose site is calculating taxes for a specific region (6% tax in Florida, US).

For the most part its working but it's always off by a small amount. Looking at this closer, I think it has to do with a rounding error or something. For instance, look at the screenshot below:

Notice that each item is $0.29 + $0.02 Tax. That's a rounding on the $0.3074 cents per item that it should be. When you multiply that .0025 difference 800 times, it adds up!

Expectation: (800 * 0.29) * 1.06 = $245.92
Actual: (800 * 0.31) = $248.00

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by killnine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13035
7 years 4 months ago #256265

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with that. Both ways of calculating taxes are possible. The way you have it, it looks like you've turned on the "round taxes during calculations" setting of the HikaShop configuration.
That's actually also how PayPal calculate taxes.
So if you turn on the "send order details" setting of the PayPal payment method, you have to have that option turned on so that HikaShop calculate the taxes like PayPal.
If you turned off both options then PayPal will only see the total of the order which will be calculated like you want.

• Thank you received: 1
7 years 3 months ago #256863

Did anything with this change recently? My customer swears up and down this was working before recently. I couldn't see any changes in the change log, though.

Luckily he's not sending order details to PayPal so I just toggled the "round taxes..." feature off.

• Thank you received: 13035
7 years 3 months ago #256879

Hi,

No, this has always been the case.
Note that it's highly possible that the calculations don't need any rounding based on how you configure your tax rates and the prices of your products. In that case, regardless of that option, it would produce the same results.
For example if the untaxed price of the product is 100 and the tax rate is 20%, regardless of that option it will always give a taxed price of 120. It's when you need rounding for the calculations that you can see the difference. So it's totally possible that your merchant didn't see that before because he was using prices and tax rates that didn't need rounding up until now.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds