Setting up taxes in Canada

• Thank you received: 3
5 years 7 months ago #297221

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.5.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8
-- PHP version -- : 5.6
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : firefox

I am creating an e-Commerce site for a business located in Quebec selling to customers in different parts of Canada and I am trying to set up the taxes component.

In some provinces like Quebec there are 2 taxes PST and GST which are cumulative ( GST = 5% x Price + PST = 9.975% x Price to give a total of 15%). In other provinces like Ontario the is one harmonized tax ( HST 13%).

Attached are screen shots of my setup. I tried a lot of permutation without success.

Zones

Rates
Tax rules
Tax categories
Product with 2 taxes
Product with PST (TPS in French)

I do not quite understand how the cumulative works.

I am not sure I set up the Zones Correctly. I have set up a Zone for Canada with 2 zub-zones one for Quebec and one for Ontario, but I see there are State zones and Tax Zones, I do not understand the difference and when either should be used.

I thought the taxes rate would be applied according to the address of the customer. But if, in the product, I have the 2 Quebec taxes, and the customer is from Ontario, the Quebec taxes are applied. Vice versa, if I have the Ontario tax in the product and the customer is from Quebec, the Ontario tax is applied.

I read the document «Taxation rules listing» where you state that in taxation rules screen «You will have to explain to the system which tax rate needs to be used in which zone for which type of customer» My question is HOW DO I DO THAT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13065
5 years 7 months ago #297236

Hi,

1. Regarding your zones, you don't need to create tax zones. You can directly use the Canada country zone and its state zones.
That will also avoid issues if you didn't configure properly the sub zones of these tax zones.

2. The Rates are correct

3. You only want one tax category and assign that tax category to all the products (unless they are taxed at different rates in the same area) and to all tax rules.
Then, in your tax rules, select that tax category, the rate and the zone and turn on the "cumulative tax" setting so that two tax rule can add their tax rate at the same time if they are for the same zone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Larion476

5 years 7 months ago #297275

Great, I followed your instructions and it works. I even see both taxes in Quebec.

GENIAL!! Merci beaucoup Nicolas

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

• Thank you received: 1
5 years 3 months ago #302182

Hi Larion476,

This is the first time I've setup a store with HikaShop and it happens to be in Quebec. I'm having trouble with the tax settings but it appears as though you've had success.

Could you please post the revised screenshots so that i can match your settings?

Thanks, in advance, as any help is greatly appreciated,

Scott

5 years 3 months ago #302207

Hi,

If you follow what is on the screenshots of that post:
www.hikashop.com/forum/taxes/895593-sett...n-canada.html#297221
And take into account my advices here www.hikashop.com/forum/taxes/895593-sett...n-canada.html#297236 you should be able to reproduce the taxes setup by @Larion476.
Hopefully, he can provide the current screenshots. But otherwise, that's your best bet. And if you have an issue with that, just do like him: provide the necessary screenshots, explain what works and what doesn't and we should be able to tell you what to do.

5 years 3 months ago #302217

Thanks for he quick reply!

I've attached as screenshot of my tax Rates.

Based on the info you provided I setup 1 tax category (Canada) and applied individual rules for each province. Provinces with GST (Canada) and PST (Provincial Tax) I set as cumulative, whereas provinces with HST (Harmonized tax) that is meant to replace the GST rate I set as non-cumulative.

Is this correct?

Scott

Attachments:

5 years 3 months ago #302223

Hi Scot,

Here is what I dd:
1- In System / Taxes/Tax Rules/ Manage tax Categories

• I created a new One Canada
2- In System / Taxes/ Tax Rules/ Rates
  • I created rates (Give them meaningful name)
  • You need one for each GST, QST, HST for each province
3- In System/Taxes/ Tax Rules New
  • Product tax Category: Canada
  • Rate One you created
  • Cumulative Tax (Yes for Quebec, No for the others)
  • Zone The Province for which you created the rule
4- In you product under Prices & Taxes you have to put Tax Category : Canada

The system will calculate the correct taxes based on the address

I have attached snapshot of my current settings, hope that helps.

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

5 years 3 months ago #302224

Thanks for the info, and the quick response!

I think I have set it up correctly but, after reading this article , my tax rates are different from yours. Ex. I have cumulative taxes in 4 prov, not just Quebec.

Does this screenshot look correct to you?

5 years 3 months ago #302219

Hi,

This looks quite good.
Did you also select that Canada (default) tax category in the tax category setting of your products ?
You need to if you want your tax rules to be taken into account.
Also, since these tax rules are restricted by zone, you'll want to be logged in with a user account with an address if your want to be able to see the prices with taxes. You should then see the taxes in the cart view of the checkout.
Let us know if you still have a problem and what problem you have exactly.

5 years 3 months ago #302249

Great to hear!

Yes, I have Canada as default for all items. I'm still in the building stage and my client has yet to provide me with the actual products so it may take a day or so before I can test everything...but I'll let you know if I have an y problems :)

But, I think I understand the flow now and hopefully I'll be able to troubleshoot any issues.

Thanks for all of your help, the forum saved me hours of trial and error.

Now it's time to tackle the French translations :)

Have a FANTASTIC day!

Scott

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

• Thank you received: 0
4 years 7 months ago #310822

The recipe provided in this discussion doesn't seem to work.
When I compare the taxes calculation to the official calculator ( www.calculconversion.com/calcul-taxes-tps-tvq.html ), the amounts are different.
Let's say I have a product of 18$.
The TPS (5%) will be applied first and = 0.9
The GST (9.975%) will be applied next and = 1.8
For a total of 20.70$.

In Hikashop, if I associate my product with the option 2 Taxes (which include TPS and GST), the amout of the taxes are 2.43$
Curiously, the Grand Total is the right one.

4 years 7 months ago #310853

Hi,

I did a test with the same amount and taxes and I do get the correct result on my end:
monosnap.com/file/0n8Dw5b5h6fLMfdwmsUHxlRpeEzM3M
So there is soemthing else to it.
Check that you don't have the plugin "HikaShop tax calculations override plugin" or that it is disabled in the Joomla plugins manager. That's an old plugin of HikaShop which isn't supported anymore and could lead to strange calculations with recent versions of HikaShop.
And if you have a discount on the product, note that you need to select the tax category in it, and you have the "apply discount" setting in the HikaShop configuration to control how the taxes are calculated on discounts. This could lead to different calculations.
Besides that, I don't see why you would get a different result.

4 years 7 months ago #310868

I notice in your screen capture that you tested the checkout but the problem is actually at the level of the cart module. I attached a screen capture.

The Tax calculation plugin you mentionned is disabled. There is no discount.

Attachments:

4 years 7 months ago #310870

Hi,

On my end the cart module displays the exact same thing as the checkout:
monosnap.com/file/pCsJc97zfILbbog1bwAStJInczwA3H
It looks like the cart module displayed on your website has been customized. So maybe it's linked to that ?
Check if you have the file templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/html/com_hikashop/product/cart.php via FTP. If you do, try renaming it and see if you still have the issue.

4 years 7 months ago #310890

I renamed the cart but the problem is still there. I also reinstalled Hikashop just in case but it doesn't help either.

I know there is some more tweaking done in Hikashop -> Display -> Views but I'm not sure which are related to the cart. With the filter, there is 31 different views. Can you tell where to look for?

• Thank you received: 1778
4 years 7 months ago #310936

Hello,

Can you eventually test it with one of the default Joomla front-end template and test it ? Thank you!

Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

4 years 7 months ago #311025

Does not work either. Do you want to go "behind the scene" ? If so, just let me know where I can send credential. Thank you.

4 years 7 months ago #311026

Hi,

Normally, just renaming the view file templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/html/com_hikashop/product/cart.php should be enough. Do you have the latest version of HikaShop ? If you have an old version, then you should try updating your HikaShop.

If you have the latest version of HikaShop and you have renamed that file and you still have the problem, then yes, please provide a backend access and a FTP access along with a link to this thread via our contact form so that we can look into it:
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html

4 years 7 months ago #311062

I have the latest version of Hikashop. I also put back in place my custom cart.php file since the problem was not related to that.
I will send you access in the contact form.

• Thank you received: 1778
4 years 7 months ago #311122

Hello,

Thanks for these informations we successfully reproduced it on your end, so we'll also test it on our end and send you a fix as soon as possible !

Thanks for your return !
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds