• Thank you received: 0
5 years 5 months ago #299743

-- url of the page with the problem -- : demo.refurbishedcomputing.com/
-- HikaShop version -- : 4.0.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.13
-- PHP version -- : 7.1
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : All
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : No Error

I read through the documentation as well as any forum entries that pertain to Canada. I am left scratching my head and anxiety is mounting. My taxes need to apply based on the shipping address. Not the products.

I tried using the other forum post as a guide but the screen caps all show what not to do.. nothing helping with what to do.

Is there a model I can log into or a description that can give me a more fundamental walk through based on Canada? It's been three days of toiling hours per day and I am lost.

If I can get help setting up, I am happy to screen cap it all and post for future Canadian users.

Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by coolpat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13037
5 years 4 months ago #299764

Hi,

The taxes will apply based on both the products and the shipping address.
When you configure a tax rule in the menu System>Taxes, you can select a tax category on which you want the tax rate to apply.
If all the products are set to the same tax category, then all the products will have the same taxes (which is what you want in most cases).
Similarily, when you configure a tax rule, you can select one or several zones on which you want the tax rate to apply. That way, based on the shipping address of the customer, the tax rule will apply or not based on that zones restriction setting.
Then, if you have two tax rules that apply for the same tax category and for the same zone, by default, HikaShop will pick the first one to apply it to the product. However, thanks to the "cumulative tax" setting of your tax rules, you can allow HikaShop to apply several tax rates at the same time to the same product. So as Canada as both a GST and a HST tax rates that apply at the same time, you'll want to activate that setting in your tax rules.

So suppose that you have a tax rate of 10% that applies to all the country, and a local tax rate of 5% for half of the states and 0% for the rest of the states which goes on top of the 10% tax rate.
You'll want to create two tax rules:
- one with the 10% tax rate selected, the tax category of your products and the country zone selected and finally the "cumulative tax" setting activated.
- one with the 5% tax rate selected, the tax category of your products and the state zones of that tax rate, and finally the cumulative tax setting activated.

That way, the people with an address outside your country won't have any taxes, the people in a state with the 5% local tax will pay the 5% tax + the 10% tax, and the people in a state with the 0% local tax will only pay the 10% tax.

5 years 4 months ago #299799

When I read this it makes sense. However when I go to the zone (Canada) there is no way to add the generic 5% Nor can I file the term "Rule" in the menu..

Followed with how do I add the other rules for say Nova Scotia that adds another 10% - do I add a 10% to that Province zone?

I have to buy two more Business licenses both for Canadian stores but I can't seen to wrap my head around this one block.

I do apologize for not thinking like everyone else but as I said.. when done I will screen cap the whole process for the next person that thinks like me (and send you the link)

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by coolpat.

5 years 4 months ago #299800

Can I pay someone to help me do this? I can learn from one that is done. It's just important to me to get it done as I have two more to buy and set up. ):

• Thank you received: 13037
5 years 4 months ago #299803

Hi,

As I said, you need to go in the menu System>Taxes.
There, you click on the "new" button in order to create a new tax rule.

The thing is that if we do it for you, you'll not learn how to do it and you'll still have the same problem for the next two websites. so it's better that we take the time to explain to you how it works so that you can do it yourself I think.

Of course, if you need someone to add the rules for you, you can ask a partner here:
www.hikashop.com/home/our-partners.html

Let's do a step by step:
1. go in System>Taxes
2. click on the "manage tax rates" button
3. click on the "new" button, enter the namekey "GST" and the value 5% and save
4. click on the "new" button, enter the namekey "HST" and the value 10% and save
5. Go in System>Taxes, click on the "new" button, select the GST tax rate, the zone "canada", and turn on the "cumulative tax" setting and save.
6. Go in System>Taxes, click on the "new" button, select the HST tax rate, the zones "new brunswick", "Newfoundland and Labrador", "Nova Scotia", "Ontario", "Prince Edward Island (PEI)", and turn on the "cumulative tax" setting and save.

That's it. All your products will now have the correct tax for the states for the HST and for the states with only the GST, and then you can create the tax rates/rules for the GST and PST in a similar way.

5 years 4 months ago #299864

Thank you.

I did this and it appears to be done as shown.

But on checkout - even after the address is entered - there is no tax showing.

I will open another forum ticket for the obvious layout issues.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds