Incremental Custom Field

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 5 months ago #27075

This has been very confusing for me...

I want to add a custom field, like a variant almost, to particular products in my store. I sell custom clothing and want my customers to be able to add their name to sweatshirts etc.

I have come to realize that it doesn't look possible to do this even though I upgraded to the essential version. At the very least I want this to be available at the checkout stage. The only problem is, every time I try to add this custom field to the checkout page it lets me choose from the following tables: Address, User, Product or Category. I can't figure out how to use the Product or Category tables and I don't want to use the Address or User table because I want to set up my store to bypass the registration page. I am wondering why the "Order" table isn't available in the essential package because that would be a perfect location for me to put the custom field.

Also, when I select "No Registration" from the Configuration>Checkout page it does absolutely nothing and still requires the users to register...

Please give me some advice, it would be much appreciated!

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by blackballdesigns.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13037
12 years 5 months ago #27081

Hi,

Custom fields of the products and category tables are there to add information to products and categories. You can see them when you edit a product or a category in your backend. So it's normal that you don't see them on the front end.
Custom fields of the table "order" (which are displayed on the checkout), or of the table "item" which are displayed on the products page are only available in the Business edition, as explain on the Business edition page ( www.hikashop.com/en/hikashop/business.html ) and in the documentation about custom fields ( www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...p-field-listing.html )

If you want to upgrade to the Business edition in order to use these types of custom fields, you can buy that upgrade package:
www.hikashop.com/en/component/hikashop/product/cid-3.html
"
When you select "No registration" in that option, the fields "username", "name" and "password" of the registration area are removed from the checkout and no joomla user account is created when the user enters his details.
If you want to remove the address fields, you can go in the menu Display->Custom fields and unpublish the address custom fields.
The login box can be removed with the "show login" option of the config.
Then, there is just the email address field left which is necessary, in order to send notifications to the user.
If you want to also remove the email address field, you would have to remove the "login" view from the checkout workflow option of the config:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...config.html#checkout
Then, if you want to change the wording of the title of the view and/or the register button to something else, you can just override the translation:
www.hikashop.com/en/download/languages.html#modify

12 years 5 months ago #27349

So if I purchase the business edition I will be able to have a custom field on each individual product if I want it to be there?

Because I only want the option for the customer to enter their name available on some of the products not all of them. Is this possible with the business edition?

12 years 5 months ago #27350

Yes. You can restrict custom fields to only some categories of products so it won't be displayed on all the products.

12 years 5 months ago #27374

OK but my store is categorized by cities, ie: each hometown in the surrounding area has a category for their custom school apparel. What if I only want it to show up on certain items in each category? For instance if I want them to be able to add their name to a sweatshirt but not sweatpants and they're in the same category.

12 years 5 months ago #27382

You should create additional categories then. Keep them unpublished if you don't want to display them on the front end and add these categories to your products as second categories. Then, use these new categories for your custom fields so that they only display on the products you want and voilà.

12 years 5 months ago #27754

Ok, I upgraded to the business edition and I am still having issues...
This is what I have done so far:
-upgraded to business edition.
-created the following categories: (3" Name on front, 8" number on back, Direct embroidery on hood, 3" number on front) These are the different labels that I want to have for my custom fields, so I just named the categories the same because it makes it easier.
-Then I unpublished these categories and added them as second categories to the desired products.
-I went to Display>Custom fields and created a new field. For table I selected Item and for field type I selected Text. I did this for all four custom fields I want available and I published all of them. I added them to their corresponding categories and it still is not showing up on the front end. I even have it enabled to show up on the front end.

PLEASE HELP!:(

12 years 5 months ago #27756

That's not normal. What you did sounds correct.
Could you do a screenshot of your custom fields listing ?
If you remove the category restriction on the custom field, do you see it ?
If you activate the debug mode of the configuration of joomla and try to display the product page, do you get an error message ?

12 years 5 months ago #27903

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the category restriction but here are some screenshots.

Attachments:

12 years 5 months ago #27907

Could you do a screenshot of the edition of one of your custom fields so that we can see how you configured it ?

By "category restriction" I mean the category you set in the custom field. If you remove it from the custom field, do you see the custom field everywhere on product pages ?

12 years 5 months ago #27951

Somehow it just started working I'm not sure what I did but I appreciate your help!

• Hikashop Essential
10 years 7 months ago #118415

Hi -

I am trying to take this in with yet having the business edition to experiment with.

If I understand correctly, once I have the business edition I will be able to create a field or fields that would allow me to enter information about a product (size - color - cost) in the back end and have it show up on the product details in the front end. Customer checks the box the desired size/color combination, completes the purchase and the specific size, color and cost will carry over to the cart and order details?

Functions:
1. Same field can be used multiple times on a given product to show each size and color combination available; and price.
2. The field would be an input box so as to add product information on the fly and NOT have to create a library with an infinite number of combinations.
3. The fields can be added or deleted as the inventory changes

Sorry if not very clear....but I would appreciate any help or guidance.

10 years 7 months ago #118445

Hi,

That is not clear enough to be able to answer clearly on what you need to do.
Do you mean that the user enters the price himself on the product page ? It's possible with the donation system:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php?option=com_h...ct&task=show&cid=214
Or do you want that the price changes based on the option selected by the user ? That's possible with characteristics:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/i...html#characteristics

9 years 9 months ago #161167

I am trying to do the same thing, but the link above to creating custom fields goes to a dead end. :-(

I have the business version, and am doing what is said above. The text fields are not editable on the front end, and the layout is off too, but that's a separate issue.

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by sashco. Reason: added more info.

9 years 9 months ago #161215

Hi,

The link has been fixed. Thanks.

You created a custom field of the table "product" instead of creating a custom field of the table "item" as I explained in my message at the beginning of this thread. That's why you can't edit it on the frontend. Delete it and recreate it with the correct table and it will work.

For the layout please open an new thread and do not forget to provide a link to the page so that we can look at the CSS/HTML you have.

9 years 9 months ago #161440

Thanks for the follow-up, as suggested, the error was mine, and I have fixed it so it is working now.

• Thank you received: 9
9 years 6 months ago #170775

Hi!

I've trying to reach that trick you mentioned in this thread.

Using a "main" category where the item should be, and an additional hidden category where the custom item field is set to be shown.
It's working OK in item view (show), but in category listing it just shows those custom fields that are set to the "main" category. The additional/hidden category's custom field is not shown there, but I should really need it.

Any ideas how to fix that or what am I doing wrong?

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by pepecortez. Reason: up

9 years 6 months ago #171308

pepecortez wrote: Hi!

I've trying to reach that trick you mentioned in this thread.

Using a "main" category where the item should be, and an additional hidden category where the custom item field is set to be shown.
It's working OK in item view (show), but in category listing it just shows those custom fields that are set to the "main" category. The additional/hidden category's custom field is not shown there, but I should really need it.

Any ideas how to fix that or what am I doing wrong?

Anyone please? A small code hint / tip where should I search for?

9 years 6 months ago #171985

Hi,

I don't see why it wouldn't work on the listing. I did a test and it worked for us. I also looked at the code and it uses all the categories of each product regardless of whether the category is published or not.
Maybe you have an old version of HikaShop with a bug on that ?
Maybe you have some override on the file "add_to_cart_listing" view file from an old version which prevents you from seeing the changes we made in recent versions of HikaShop ?
That's the two things I can think of here.

9 years 6 months ago #172055

nicolas wrote: Hi,

I don't see why it wouldn't work on the listing. I did a test and it worked for us. I also looked at the code and it uses all the categories of each product regardless of whether the category is published or not.
Maybe you have an old version of HikaShop with a bug on that ?
Maybe you have some override on the file "add_to_cart_listing" view file from an old version which prevents you from seeing the changes we made in recent versions of HikaShop ?
That's the two things I can think of here.

I'm using the newest HikaShop... I had a template override, but if change template to another with no component overrides, it also works the same.

Could I send you a PM with site access to check it please?

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds