- Posts: 8
- Thank you received: 0
Product codes
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #232989
by pzaal
Product codes was created by pzaal
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.1
After exploring several e-commerce solutions, I'm looking around for another more suitable solution and I'm playing around with Hikashop (because I need a customer input field for 'color', I'll switch to a paid version after finishing the look-around). What I really don't understand is the idea behind product-codes.
My customer has around 200 products with all 3-6 variants. I like the way to manage the variants (and the easy CSV management !
). However (example) variant-1 has internal product code 123, variant-2 has 456 and variant -3 has 789. Everybody in the office is familiar with these internal codes and the back office administration is organized in this way.
I'm probably wrong but as far as I understood the Hikashop philosophy is that (following my example), the product code should be 123 and the variants should be called 123_X, 123_Y and 123_Z. If I'm right this means I've to create a cross-reference list between Hika product codes and the codes in use in the organization (btw the real codes are internal product codes linked to EAN). I cannot expect my customer to change his complete back office and logistic procedures because of a webshop product coding system.
Am I right, or do I miss something?
After exploring several e-commerce solutions, I'm looking around for another more suitable solution and I'm playing around with Hikashop (because I need a customer input field for 'color', I'll switch to a paid version after finishing the look-around). What I really don't understand is the idea behind product-codes.
My customer has around 200 products with all 3-6 variants. I like the way to manage the variants (and the easy CSV management !
I'm probably wrong but as far as I understood the Hikashop philosophy is that (following my example), the product code should be 123 and the variants should be called 123_X, 123_Y and 123_Z. If I'm right this means I've to create a cross-reference list between Hika product codes and the codes in use in the organization (btw the real codes are internal product codes linked to EAN). I cannot expect my customer to change his complete back office and logistic procedures because of a webshop product coding system.
Am I right, or do I miss something?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by pzaal.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 6 months ago #233012
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product codes
Hi,
The product code for the variants can be whatever you want.
So you sure can put the codes you usually use.
The variants product code being prefixed by the product code is used during the copy process when you duplicate a product for efficiency. So that might not work properly if you use your own product codes, but besides that, it will work normally. And if you're importing your products, you shouldn't even need to use the copy function so it doesn't concerns you.
The product code for the variants can be whatever you want.
So you sure can put the codes you usually use.
The variants product code being prefixed by the product code is used during the copy process when you duplicate a product for efficiency. So that might not work properly if you use your own product codes, but besides that, it will work normally. And if you're importing your products, you shouldn't even need to use the copy function so it doesn't concerns you.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #233042
by pzaal
Replied by pzaal on topic Product codes
Thanks for your reply. It really helps!
Just to be certain:
Suppose I've a category 'coffee cups'
Product X is 'espresso cup' and this cup is available in 'black' and 'white' (besides the color and price, the specs for both products are equal).
I created a product 'espresso cups' (in category 'coffee cups') and left the product code blank.(called 'main' in the CSV)
After creating 'characteristics', I made two product variants:
1x for 'black' with my own product code 123
1x for 'white' with another product code 456 (both are called 'variant' in the CSV)
It looks to me that relations between 'main' and 'variants' are based on the product_name_alias (and not on the product code).
So a product code for the so called 'main' product description is not necessary at all.
Am I right or is my approach wrong?
Just to be certain:
Suppose I've a category 'coffee cups'
Product X is 'espresso cup' and this cup is available in 'black' and 'white' (besides the color and price, the specs for both products are equal).
I created a product 'espresso cups' (in category 'coffee cups') and left the product code blank.(called 'main' in the CSV)
After creating 'characteristics', I made two product variants:
1x for 'black' with my own product code 123
1x for 'white' with another product code 456 (both are called 'variant' in the CSV)
It looks to me that relations between 'main' and 'variants' are based on the product_name_alias (and not on the product code).
So a product code for the so called 'main' product description is not necessary at all.
Am I right or is my approach wrong?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by pzaal.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 6 months ago #233058
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product codes
The relation between the main product and the variants is based in the database on the product_parent_id column which, in the variants, contains the product_id of the main product.
In the CSV, the product_ids aren't used, and instead the product_codes are used.
So you're supposed to have a product_code for the main product, and use that product_code in the product_parent_id column of the variants.
If you create a product with variants through the interface of HikaShop and then export a CSV of the product data, that's actually what you should see in the CSV.
In the CSV, the product_ids aren't used, and instead the product_codes are used.
So you're supposed to have a product_code for the main product, and use that product_code in the product_parent_id column of the variants.
If you create a product with variants through the interface of HikaShop and then export a CSV of the product data, that's actually what you should see in the CSV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pzaal
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds