Characteristics and Variants

• Thank you received: 2
12 years 9 months ago #21146

Hello,

I am building a fashion site for a client.

A range of Characteristics will be required for things like size and color choices for each garment.

I have just gone through the process of creating my first Characteristic to see how it all works but I have run into a few problems.

In order to help explain what's happening I have taken a few screen shots that may help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

My explanations will be linked to the screen shot numbers.

01 - product display without Characteristics

This is the current display on the main product page. I have moved the BOTTOM PART of the show.php to a position under the LEFT PART because there will not be a lot of content for each garment and I didn't want to have that big empty space in the LEFT PART.

As you can see from the copy, there are 2 sizes for this garment.

02 - size Characteristic added

This screen shot shows how I've added the characteristic.

03 - added Characteristic to product.

The characteristic has been added to the product. Nothing is shown on the front end until I publish the variants as shown in the next screen shot.

04 - published the Variants for the product

After I published the Variants they appeared on the front end.

05 - display with Characteristics

This is where strange things are happening.

1 - My product name (in the red panel) has gone and been replaced by a size?
2 - Also, how do I get a label named 'Sizes:' to show on the left of the dropdown menu (as in your demo site).

This size in the red panel now appears in the Checkout under name.

06 - after Add to Cart in checkout

The name of the product is now 12. This cannot be used for obvious reasons.

SUMMARY

Another thing I have just noticed in the checkout is that the product is also listed as Free. I have no idea where that came from.

So there are three problems:

1 - I don't want the size appearing in the red panel - the name of the product should be there all the time.
2 - I would like the 'Size:' label to show on the left of the size menu.
3 - I don't want the product to be listed as Free and then again with a price.

I have been trying to find the answers in the documentation, forum and by examining your demo site.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the answers. So once again, I would appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Robin

PS Couldn't tell if the images were being uploaded so have attached a ZIP file instead containing the images.

File Attachment:

File Name: screenshot...0713.zip
File Size:311 KB

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
12 years 9 months ago #21156

Hi,

1. You should turn off the option "Append characteristics value to product name" in the Display tab of the config. And you should make sure that your variants don't have a product name so that they use the main product name. Otherwise, you could also set the name for each variant but it's more time consuming.

2. You should turn on the option "Display the characteristics name" in the Display tab of the config.

3. As long as your product has a price it won't be listed as free. The problem was that you add to the cart your main product before adding the characteristic and then added it. You cannot have a main product in your cart once it has a variant. It's normal that it doesn't work properly has that should never happen. You should first setup your product and only then publish it so that your users can buy it (they would buy the variants and not the product itself really).

12 years 9 months ago #21187

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for your response.

As you suggested, I turned off the option "Append characteristics value to product name" and turned on the option "Display the characteristics name".

The problem of the size appearing where the name of the product should be (in the red panel) is still there.

When I add the product to the cart and proceed to the Checkout page the size (12 or 14) is still showing under the name heading.

If I open the Variants and add the name of the product to both sizes - the product name then appears in the Checkout under the name heading which is correct. Also, the heading remains in the red panel which is also correct.

However, the size of the garment and the Code for the garment should also be listed in the Checkout as well. Is there some way to get both the size and the code to display in the Checkout.

Your help would be appreciated.

Once I get this procedure sorted out and working properly I will do a step by step tutorial to help out other users having the same problems.

Kind regards,
Robin

12 years 9 months ago #21194

You should turn on the option "Append characteristics value to product name" in the Display tab of the config for that.
Note that you can't have the characteristic appended on the product name on the checkout and not on the product page unless you change the code of the views.

12 years 9 months ago #21219

Hello Nicolas,

In the Configuration - Display window I now have these settings:

Append characteristics value to product name = NO
When I had that set to YES the product name was appearing twice with a semi colon separator in both the product name and in the checkout.

Display the characteristics name = YES

Using these two settings the product name is appearing in the correct position on the main product page and in the checkout.

However, the size selected by the user does not show in the checkout. It is essential that the size be there. Any idea how I can make that happen.

What is the purpose of the Code field. When adding a new product I enter a code number - or garment style number for example - in the Code field but it doesn't appear anywhere on the Checkout page. Ideally, It should appear along with the product name and size in the checkout so that both the buyer and seller know exactly what has been purchased.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Robin

12 years 9 months ago #21231

You should turn on the option "Append characteristics value to product name" in the Display tab of the config and remove the name of the variants OR keep that option turn off and change the variants name to include the size of the of the variant.

12 years 9 months ago #21243

Hello Nicolas,

In the Display tab of of the Configuration I have applied some settings that should work for what I want. Perhaps you could run your eye over the settings in the config-settings.jpg file attached.

For the Product I have added the Code Name before the Name of the Product like this:
T151 - Ruched bust diamonte evening dress

With the settings in the Display tab the Size and Color is also added to the name of the product. This works well in the checkout as all the information about the product is then included in the checkout.

Everything is working OK except for the fact that if I try to change the size or color in the drop down menus, nothing changes on the front end display. The 12 Blue on the end of the product name (see front-end-display.jpg) doesn't change as it does in your shop demo for the Mens T-Shirt. Maybe there is a setting I have missed somewhere.

If you can solve that problem for me everything should then be OK as far as I can see.

Kind regards,
Robin

File Attachment:

File Name: settings.zip
File Size:207 KB

Attachments:

12 years 9 months ago #21254

The product name should also change on the product page dynamically.
If it doesn't, it means that you either have a javascript error on the page or an HTML error. That can sometimes happen with rockettheme templates when the span processing option is turned on or something like that.
If you could give a link to that page, we should be able to tell you what's the problem. Otherwise, please try to switch your template and see if that works...

12 years 9 months ago #21264

Hello Nicolas,

I switched to the Beez template and that feature worked.

So it must be something in my template. I will start looking through the template to see what I can find.

I did remove the Javascript and the problem remained, so it must be something in the HTM. If you have any other thoughts on what HTML tag might cause the problem it would be most helpful.

Thanks Nicolas.

Kind regards,
Robin

12 years 9 months ago #21274

If you have typography activated on your template that's something which can happen.

12 years 9 months ago #21291

Hello Nicolas,

I found the problem straight away after I posted the last message.

The first thing I did to find the problem was to look in my CSS folder.

There were some CSS files in my CSS folder that were not being used in the template.

I deleted those files, tested the size and colour drop down menus again and they worked.

For some reason, in this particular case, the problem was somehow caused by those CSS files.

Again, thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Robin

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 4 months ago #31368

I had "Append characteristics value to product name" set to No, and I was still getting the product name repeated twice ... Once normally, then with underscores instead of the spaces.

I'm using rocketheme Momentum template J1.7. I switched off "Build Title Spans" in Template Manager (advanced), and it's fixed the problem.

12 years 4 months ago #31392

That's because the one with underscores is the product code not the product name. It's hidden by default with CSS but that option of your template breaks the class name of the HTML tags and thus the CSS to hide the product code cannot be applied.
Turning off that option is indeed the way to go.

• Hikashop Business
12 years 1 month ago #41930

I am having this or a similar issue. Different options for product sizes are not showing in the cart; it just increases the product quantity but does not add the product with a different characteristic (example: a large shirt and a small shirt don't get listed in the cart, just one shirt with a quantity of 2).

I will PM you login details for site.
The template uses embedded fonts, but client requires them.

• Hikashop Business
12 years 1 month ago #42022

I have done something to my product/show.php file as when I remove the custom file, then the different variants are added correctly to the cart. So it appears to not be javascript or template issues.

12 years 1 month ago #42195

Yes, that can also happen if you messes with the view displaying the product page.
I checked your website and it seems to be working now.

• Hikashop Business
12 years 1 month ago #42208

I was using an older customized version of the file. I had to remove customization, use the updated file, and re-work the customizations for the newer version.

However, I have another issue. I cannot seem to find the code that puts the variant characteristic at the end of the title. I would like to move just the variant title, but not the product name, to a different spot and still have it update, but in the show_default file it all seems to be one line of code though a second set of <span> tags are generated.

For example, I currently have:

PRODUCT TITLE: VARIANT
Category

And I would like to do:

PRODUCT TITLE
Category Variant

But they all need to go in different h1 and span tags for styling...

12 years 1 month ago #42357

Indeed, it's the correct file you're searching for. And the correct spot.

You have the code:

<span id="hikashop_product_name_main" class="hikashop_product_name_main">
			<?php
			if (hikashop_getCID('product_id')!=$this->element->product_id && isset ($this->element->main->product_name))
				echo $this->element->main->product_name;
			else
				echo $this->element->product_name;
			?>
		</span>
That you should replace with just:
<?php echo $this->element->main_product_name; ?>

Then, you can add that where you want the variant text:
<span id="hikashop_product_name_main" class="hikashop_product_name_main"></span>

And in the "show" view file, you can change
<?php echo $variant->product_name;?>
by:
<?php echo $variant->characteristics_text;?>

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds