Additional prices for options???

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 9 months ago #21410

Hey, how can i create options that add an additional cost to the baseline product price? Or should i be using variants for this? Either way i can't see a way how to add an additional cost! The example i can give you is a poster product at baseline price with unframed (additional cost of £0.00) and a framed option (additional cost of £25).

thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #21411

before i just get redirected here:

i've found the following instructions:

Let's take the example of the creation of the RAM option :

First, we made one characteristic called RAM quantity with the three values.

Second, we created one product that we called RAM with that characteristic added to it.

Third, we clicked on the "manage variants" and set the name of each variant and its price.

Finally, we added the RAM product as an option of the desktop computer product on the desktop computer edition screen.

I'm struggling to understand it quite correctly as to my own scenario, and can't quite get a single drop down menu featuring the above options which also adds a price to the baseline, though i have had two - one that does and one that doesn't on the same page. I will keep fiddling for now, and try and compare with the demo site, but hopefully someone can explain this more clearly and idiot proof ;)

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by squeakstar.

12 years 9 months ago #21412

aaargh - i can get one option working but where do i add values to those? I can't find where they are in the demo either comparing against webcam on desktop tower.

12 years 9 months ago #21413

Got it working but don't fully understand why it's so convoluted - i will struggle to remember how this works for my first few items until i get the proper hang of it.

Why can't you just add options with a +/- price directly on the product page as this would be so much easier all round???

Also, as my scenario will only involve an option of the same two variables on some products, a value of extra 0.00 or a range of values for my framed option - what's th best of way of implementing this with the minimum of convoluted product creation and re-mapping characteristics to products to variants???

eg:

poster 1 >>> option 1 Unframed +0.00
option 2 Framed +25.00

poster 2 >>> option 1 Unframed +0.00
option 2 Framed +35.00

poster 3 >>> option 1 Unframed +0.00
option 2 Framed +45.00

• Thank you received: 13063
12 years 9 months ago #21420

Hi,

First, you need to create one characteristic called maybe "option" with the two possibilities as values, framed and unframed.

Second, you need to create one product called "Option" with that characteristic added to it.

Third, click on the "manage variants" of that product and set the name of each variant and its price. So the first one would be "unframed" with the price 0 and the second will be "framed" with the price $45.

Finally, you can add that option to the products which require it as an option when you edit/create your products.

I agree that it's not so easy to use compared to the rest of the application and we will work on improving it in the future. That feature is still quite new ( 2 months ) so there is still room for improvement.

12 years 9 months ago #21424

Thankyou for your reponse. i will try again with your alternative instructions!

Whilst your instructions describe easily a single mixture of options for a price range variable, is it possible to add more variants to a single characteristic/product option without having all the prices show, as price of framing would vary depending on the original poster size?

My dilemma is that I think i would have to repeat the whole process as described above for each different framing price - but as the "framing option" seems to get its described field shown as it's own name am i going to have issues creating options with the same name? I don't want a drop down menu with a different label on each item that has a slightly different framing price. ie my unframed/framed option at £0 or £35 is called "framing options £35" and then a different smaller poster with option pricings of £0 or £25 is labelled "framing options £25".

thank you and look forward to see what you come up with in the future to streamline this process - maybe something that puts in place an automatically saved product and variants just from adding the options, and that field being more readily editable with the price directly on the products page would be useful. I'm thinking of how when you create a category view, the corresponding modules are created automatically. This would be really useful and streamline the process no end if you're stuck programmatically in storing all the options variables in the manner they are currently.

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by squeakstar. Reason: bolded further question!

12 years 9 months ago #21444

If you want to have different option prices for different products, you will have to use different options. You have have the same name for all of them, that's not a problem.

An alternative would be to use characteristics instead of options. You could just create one characteristic "option" with the two values as before. Then, you could directly add it to your products and click on the "manage variants" button to set the price of the framed version (so the product price+ the option price). That's a lot simpler as process but you don't get the distinction of prices of the product and the option as you do with the options. In that case, you can reuse the characteristic for all your products and all you have to do is to set the framed variant price.

Yes, that's what we had in mind: have something to easily add an option and that would create the rest automatically so that you could still fine tune everything if needed.

12 years 9 months ago #21450

cool as chuff. That second idea works for me!

Was it dependant on me having gone through the previous process as described correctly in any way?

Whilst the described two options is all i'll ever likely need, should i need to create another for any reason i'd like to know exactly what to do without getting lost again, plus once this website's up and running i'd like it to be as simple as possible a process; i'm going to have to show the actual vendor myself finally how this all works.

thanks for your help!

12 years 9 months ago #21453

No, it's not dependent in any way.

There is just two ways of adding dropdowns to a product page.
Since you said that you wanted that the price of the option be added to the main product price like on our demo website's option product, I explained that method.
But if you're ok with the whole price of the product being changed when the framed option of the dropdown is selected, then the characteristics way is easier to do.

12 years 9 months ago #21460

yep it's certainly easier - but, i have noticed a bug!

If i am on my product page which has options like the second method described above, it seems i can cheat the pricing for the more expensive option with the less expensive price!

If you view a product, change the option to the more expensive option (framed - none default selection) the product price changes appropriately. If i am on the same page and hit the refresh button though the price defaults back to the lower price but the drop down for the option stays on the more expensive option - it does not reset upon page refresh!!!

How can i prevent some scallywag taking advantage of this and passing an underpriced product into his cart???

12 years 9 months ago #21462

The problem of the dropdown's value not being reseted is a browser cache issue. Nothing we can do.
However, your customers will never be able to buy a framed product with the unframed price. The price of the products are calculated on each page so you will always have in the cart the price corresponding to the product added to the cart.

12 years 1 month ago #41733

I have a question and I'm not sure if it's a possible option yet but here is my situation.

I have a Desktop Computer, let's say priced at $750.

Its base option for RAM lets say is 8GB RAM. I want there to be 3 extra options, 4GB, 12GB, and 16GB of RAM.

Now everything works smoothly when I the option is to upcharge for the 12GB and 16GB of RAM, but if they want to reduce the computers price, by choosing 4GB option and save say 25 dollars, theres no way to add a negative (-) value price in for the options that I have seen.

Is it possible to have downgrade options? Or should I start the desktop models off at a lower value and only allow upgrades for now?

12 years 1 month ago #41734

You cannot enter negative values.
However, in the option product itself, you can choose the 8GB as default and thus, that option will be chosen by default on the product page. That way, you can have downgrade options.

12 years 1 month ago #41737

Yes but if the 8GB is the default, no price could be removed for downgrading to 4GB.. Unless, the whole customizable parts of the computer all had base prices instead of included in the original products price I suppose.

12 years 1 month ago #41739

Well I just tried setting the base option with a +27.00 price, but it would confuse customers because the pricetag when looking through Desktops says 750, but as soon as you go to the page, the price is now 777 because of the base option changing the price.

12 years 1 month ago #41740

That's indeed the case. I don't have a solution for that as the options information is not known on the listing.

12 years 1 month ago #41741

Is it possible to request that in the next version of the software? Because I am now trying to add the options for Operating System, where it starts base with Windows 7 Home, but an option I wanted to add is the free Ubuntu Linux OS to save them 120$.. but cant and don't want anyone accidentally buying the computer with Linux because they didn't notice or change the OS option

12 years 1 month ago #41744

It won't be in next version of HikaShop as the features are frozen already for next version.
But yes, we can add that in the future.

12 years 1 month ago #41749

Another question about options, can I remove the word "each" after the option product?

As you can see on my website at 24.107.1.194/customcraftcomputers/index....duct/6-economy-class

Each option has the word "each" after it, when they would only be getting one object per option

12 years 1 month ago #41875

The each word can be removed via a translation override:
www.hikashop.com/en/download/languages.html#modify

However that will remove it everywhere.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds