No shopping possible in the Starter version?

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 9 months ago #58968

I have been evaluating various e-commerce options. So far I have looked at virtuemart (too complex), simplecaddy (too buggy and simplistic), and joomshopping (poor support), and hikashop. Hikashop seems to fit the bill many ways and clearly this forum is vibrant and alive. The product looks professionally designed and well received.

To evaluate hikashop, I installed the Starter version. But, I can't see how a customer can place an order! After adding items to the cart, the user is asked to either log in or register (disabled for starter version). Without registering, one can not log in either. And, I did not see an option for the user to place an order without registering or logging in! The comparison table at www.hikashop.com/en/hikashop.html does not seem to indicate anywhere that in this edition, a customer can not complete the ordering. So, how does one place an order in this version? Am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13102
11 years 9 months ago #58969

You must have deactivated user account creation in the options of the user manager of joomla. Turn it on and you will be able to register.

11 years 9 months ago #59007

Nicolas, many thanks for a prompt reply. You are right -- new user account registration was turned off in Joomla configuration. So, this means that hikashop is using Joomla's built-in user creation mechanism.

I do see in your documentation that the business edition of hikashop allows you to fine-tune registration option. However, if I did purchase the business edition and enabled the registration option, would hikashop still use Joomla's user registration mechanism or would it do it via its own mechanism perhaps in a separate database? The reason I ask this is that I would rather not pollute Joomla's own user id set with hikashop users.

11 years 9 months ago #59008

There are only three possibilities:
-> hikashop's registration is set to 'no registration'. No joomla user account will be created for the users during the checkout. It's a "guest" checkout.
-> hikashop's registration is set to something else and registration is deactivated in joomla. People can't register on your website. They can only log in. It's useful for some cases where you create manually the accounts as administrator.
-> hikashop's registration is set to something else and registration is activated in joomla. People can register as normal joomla users in the checkout.

11 years 9 months ago #59066

Nicolas, I had read those three possibilities in your documentation. So, I think you are confirming that hiksahop relies on Joomla's user id creation and modification mechanism when the option in business edition is set to "Registration". Is this something that I should be worried about from a security point of view?

I commend your efforts in maintaining such a lively and responsive forum. It is a pleasure to be here.

11 years 9 months ago #59070

It indeed integrates with the joomla user system. But there is no security issue in doing that.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds