Product Configurator

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 9 months ago #56912

I want to show a specific product image based on selected configuration of the product. Tried 2 approaches but they fail.

1. Approach using custom fields.
Restricting input of custom fields based on other field's is exactly what I need. I can create a (simple) product configurator. BUT no specific images based on the values entered in the custom fields. So it will not work this way.

2. Approach using variants (Characteristics).
I can create a specific product image for every permutation of Characteristics. I use 4 characteristics (all single select drop-downs, generates about a 1000 variants). BUT there are several problems. First off all, I cannot limit choice of one characteristic based on the input of another characteristic as is possible with custom fields. I tried unpublishing or deleting "unwanted" variants, but that just generates an error on the front end when choosing these combination of characteristics. Another problem is loading the product page is taking to long.

Do you have any tips on this?
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13072
11 years 9 months ago #56943

Wouldn't you be able to do that with one characteristic for the image switching and then custom fields for the other dropdowns ?
I seems that it would solve both problems.

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 9 months ago #56969

No, the char's are vey specific, for example the first 3:
- Fabric
- Sleevetype
- Neckline

So I can have a flowerprint shortsleeve v-neck shirt versus a black longsleeve turtleneck shirt. Very different pictures.

• Thank you received: 13072
11 years 9 months ago #57011

Then, you will indeed need the variants.
But you should be able to delete the variants you don't need.
What kind of error did you had ?
You need to check that the default values you're setting for the characteristics in the product have a corresponding variant otherwise it won't work properly.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds