Edit the view of products in category view

• Thank you received: 1
12 years 2 months ago #39240

I have a menu item set up 'buy now' and it links to category view of the products
So all the categories are listed there as images and titles
The default view for this needs edited. (In particular my background is black so the white background doesn't look right).
I've edited this view and they now appear exactly as I want them.

But when I then selcect a category. when that page loads it then shows images of the products
how (or where) do I edit that particular view? They are showing with white backgrounds.
Thank you for your time.

Using HikaShop essentials on Joomla 2.6
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by beevo. Reason: added screenshots

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 2 months ago #39348

Hi,

When you are in the hikashop options of your menu, you will have a link to the hikashop options of the products listing module which is used to display the products. You should click on it.
There you will find similar options to what you had for the categories listing in order to setup the display of your products listing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: beevo

12 years 2 months ago #39371

Thanks, that sorted it.

Might I suggest for future releases that you simply label that link "Edit the Products View Here" or have a help tip over the link that says that when you hover. When you are starting out a lot of the language used is a bit confusing.
The text on the link on mine was listed as below and it made no sense to me at all because I had no idea what menu 500 was. "Associated products listing for category listing menu 500"

While I am grateful for the built in help areas, I would like to take this oppertunity to suggest that a proper manual would be a great help. You need to take a beginner from start to finish setting up a simple store selling 4 kinds of fruits, within thier own categories, with size variants of small, medium and large (with respective price vatiants) and setting up the view areas of the front end, and the paypal method and shipping.

The benefits of such a manual would be
1. The learning curve for newcomers would be so much less steep and
2. You would have fewer questions (and delay for replies) on the forum. And finally,
3. It will also make this HikaShop shopping cart system excel above all others.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 2 months ago #39515

Hi,

Thank you for your input. We'll change the wording for that link.

We already have:
a tutorial to explain how to setup your first product, the paypal method and shipping: www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...first-test-sale.html
a tutorial to explain how to setup your menus and modules to display your products:http://www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentation/67-hikashop-content-display-front-end.html
So that covers the basics. But yes, we'll try to improve them and especially the first one in order to have a better starting point.

12 years 2 months ago #39524

Thanks Nicolas

Just so as you know, although new to your product, I am not new to programming in a few languages and html, xml etc. And I can normally get a handle on new stuff pretty quickly.

Tutorials are notoriously difficult to write. It is a catch 22. On the one hand, in order to write them you need to know your product and procedures inside and out. YET the more you are familiar with your product and how to do things, the less likely you are to even consider the possibility that someone new may do something different. So it is harder to explain the proper way clearly to a new-comer because it never occurs to you that they would treat the interface a certain way. You only know the correct way to use it.

The fact that newbies like myself, even having read your present tutorials still struggle, is an indication that there is still some ambiguity and misunderstanding of phrases or procedures while trying to learn how to do things. To a large extent it is comments and questions from newbies like myself that when showing you how 'blind' we are, enable you to put up even better 'brail' sign posts to help us learn.

So I appreciate the difficulties in making a good tutorial, and I also appreciate the efforts you are making to improve it.

Thanks again for your time.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds