Multiple categories Facebook Like issue

• Thank you received: 1
  • Hikashop Business
11 years 11 months ago #49071

Hi,

I have a scenario concerning the Facebook Like.

I had one book product mapped to multiple categories. For example, Book A is mapped to two categories:
- Category #1 = Business Book
- Category #2 = Finance Book

For instance, when I tested the Facebook Like on the Book A page listed under Business Book category, it will show as "1 user like". But when you switch over to the same Book A page listed under Finance Book category, then the "1 user like" doesn't appear any longer. It seems as if both product pages are totally unrelated. This would be difficult to promote the book in terms of social media because some customers might land in the Book A page either under Business category or Finance category. Then we might end up with like split Facebook Likes.

Is there any workaround to this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
11 years 11 months ago #49168

I suppose that it's because the category_pathway parameter is different in the URL of the product page.
You can turn on the "simplified breadcrumb" option of the configuration and it will remove that parameter.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 11 months ago #49195

Hi Nicolas,

Regardless whether I turn on or off the "simplified breadcrumb". The result is still the same. The Facebook Like only appears in one category, instead of two.

Here's the URLs of the same product Book A but mapped under two different categories:

Book A mapped under Business category
www.mysite.com/Business-Books/product/show/23-myproduct
www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_hika...=myproduct&task=show

*Itemid=189 refers to the menu itemID. cid=23 refers to the product ID under Hikashop.

Book A mapped under Finance category
www.mysite.com/Finance-Books/product/show/23-myproduct
www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_hika...=myproduct&task=show

*Itemid=195 refers to the menu itemID. cid=23 refers to the product ID under Hikashop.

Could it be since both are different URLs, that's why Facebook Like is taking it as two split different pages? Therefore if I "Facebook Like" Book A in Business category, the same "Facebook Like" won't be reflected in Book A in Finance category.

Here's my setup:
- I setup the product categories under a menu. Category menu --> Business Books, Finance Books.

I understand that the reason the same product has two different URLs because you all wanted to do the Breadcrumb thing. But in my case, it would cause duplicate issue in terms of the Facebook Like due to different URLs. Will there be any solution where it points directly to the product instead? Even it means not having the breadcrumb trails, I don't mind taking out the breadcrumb as it's not really that important on my site.

Otherwise, do you have any other workaround for this issue? Greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 11 months ago #49196

Sorry, forget to mention. The domain www.mysite.com is not my real website name. Just putting it there as a dummy name. So don't have to click on the link.

• Thank you received: 13071
11 years 11 months ago #49285

So your problem is that you're using two different menus to access the same content. In joomla, each menu's id is used in the URLs (the Itemid parameter) so that joomla can determine which menu to call.
Without that parameter in the URLs, joomla wouldn't know that and it wouldn't work properly. So it's more complex than deactivating the breadcrumb system.

What you will have to do is to edit the file plugins/content/hikashopsocial.php and change the line:
$this->meta='<meta property="og:url" content="'.hikashop_currentURL().'" />';

to:
$this->meta='<meta property="og:url" content="'.hikashop_completeLink('product&task=show&cid='.$product->product_id).'" />';

That should allow you to have always the same URL for a product given to facebook.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds