email not working

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 6 months ago #703

Hi,

it seems we cant get the email to work. The error message displayed is: "Could not instantiate mail function." The email works fine in all other modules of the installation like contacts, system messages etc. When checking the Hikashop email section in the configuration everything shows up fine. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards

DH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13077
13 years 6 months ago #704

Hi,
HikaShop uses the standard joomla email sending capability. If you can't send emails in HikaShop, it means that joomla is not able to send emails either.
You should configure properly the joomla email options (in the joomla configuration page):
help.joomla.org/content/view/51/68/1/7/

13 years 6 months ago #705

hi, thanks but that's how we understood this, too. However, the Joomla email function is working. You can try it yourself at www.crysande.com . Copy yourself on a "contact us email" and you will receive the copy. You can also register and try to order,then you will get the error message yourself as well.

13 years 6 months ago #708

I just tested to create both an account from joomla registration and an account from hikashop (during the checkout). I received both. So it worked for me.

13 years 6 months ago #709

Thanks for your support. However, the email missing is the order confirmation. Please try to order a gift certificate. Upon check out we get the above described error message. Oh btw. besides this little issue I really like your shop.

13 years 6 months ago #712

That's indeed the case.

Now, we use the same piece of code for both the user account email and the order creation email.
The only difference is the content of the email.
I suppose your mail server might be rejecting some emails because of a strange configuration.
You could try to change the settings one by one under the emails tab of the configuration of HikaShop and test if it works after each change.
For example, I know some servers do not accept emails when the name is added so we have an option to turn off this feature. Other servers do not accept emails with too long lines (the order creation email has lines longer than the user creation email so it could be something to look at here) so we added a "word wrap" option. Etc...

All in all, this problem doesn't come from HikaShop as it's able to send the account creation email. Plus, all our other users are able to send the order creation email too. If you cannot figure it out, you should really ask your hosting company what could be the problem.

13 years 6 months ago #715

Thanks,

Just for the sake of others since I know quite a lot of guys using IX USA for their hosting. The solution was to change the charset to US-ASCII.

Regards

DH

13 years 6 months ago #716

Thank you for posting which option solved your case. It will probably help other users.

11 years 3 months ago #85354

I realize this is a bit of a dead thread now, but I also was struggling with this error during my testing.

It turns out that (at least with some mail destinations), that a bogus email address for the client will throw this message when trying to send the order confirmation to that client.

In other words, I had some bogus accounts set up that I was using for test purchases, and those were causing the error because the email address didn't exist.

• Thank you received: 4004
11 years 3 months ago #85397

Hi,

Which message ? "Could not instantiate mail function" ?
Could you give us more details ?

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds