multilingual joomla + hikashop?

• Thank you received: 1
11 years 1 month ago #94887

If I understand correctly, Falang is alternative of the core Joomla multilingualism and Hikashop is an extension of Joomla. In the documentation of Hikashop I read that Hikashop does everything to the more possible in joomla to integrate. I completely not understand why Hikashop does not use all best change in joomla? Why an extra extention needed?
I've done my shop without Falang. Everything is okey, excluding the connecting between the same pages in different languages. Maybe Hikashop is working on this way?

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Vero.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13085
11 years 1 month ago #94897

In Joomla 1.5 there was no multilingual system at all.
So a team of developers developed JoomFish, an extension to provide multilingual capability to joomla and to the extensions.
JoomFish is still around, and a fork of JoomFish called Falang was also released which supports joomla 3.0
When we developed HikaShop, JoomFish was the reference for multilingual capability for Joomla. It was actually the only option and everyone doing a multilingual website was using it. So of course, we integrated HikaShop with JoomFish and Falang at that time.
Later on, with joomla 2.5, Joomla added their own multilingual system. It's nice, but it requires to redo all the multilingual integration in HikaShop to support it.
Since then, we have the support of the native joomla multilingual system on our todo list.
Will we do it ? Yes.
Will we do it soon ? No.
Why ? Because the integration with JoomFish and Falang has been working for 2 years perfectly and that there are other areas of HikaShop where there is simply no solution provided at all while here you already have something fully functional.

I hope that answers your questions.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vero

• Thank you received: 3
11 years 5 days ago #102040

I have just started with Hikashop, to see if it is the right product for me to sell to my customers. It looked promising, but for me it is disappointing that it's not using the native multi language support of Joomla. I mean, one of the reasons to choose for a webshop system as Joomla component is because you can use most of the good things of Joomla.

I understand it's a lot of work, but I think it's really important. I'm not a big fan of Joomfish. But an even bigger problem: I just installed Joomla 3.1 and the latest version of Hikashop to build a webshop in three languages. Joomfish isn't available for J3.1 so it looks like I'm stuck. And we all know how long it took for Joomfish to be Joomla 1.6 ready, so I don't think there will be a solution soon.... :(

• Thank you received: 13085
11 years 5 days ago #102053

Falang is already compatible with Joomla 3.x and HikaShop is compatible with Falang, so you can use that.
Falang has been available for Joomla 1.6/2.5/3.0 a few weeks after each release.
And I agree with you "one of the reasons to choose for a webshop system as Joomla component is because you can use most of the good things of Joomla". The best thing about Joomla is actually all the high quality extensions available for it. So I don't see a problem with using Falang along HikaShop and Joomla to have your multilingual shop.

• Thank you received: 1
11 years 5 days ago #102060

Sorry, but if website of hikashop is using Jomfish, that is a problem, because in my language and in languages I know translating is completely incomprehensible, just a collection of words. Because my English is bad, I have problems (reading of instructions).

I don´t know, may be JoomFish is not a translator, but I have read about JoomFish in internet, are problems...

I have doing all x3, because my website in 3 languages. A much of the work, but I do not want JoomFish. And I hope, that team of Hikashop changes their plans.
Vero

Last edit: 11 years 5 days ago by Vero.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds