PayPal SSL and One.com

• Thank you received: 2
11 years 2 weeks ago #100111

I am trying to get payment with PayPal working. I have set up a SandBox account with PayPal and all works fine up until payment is made when I receive this email notification:

A Paypal notification was refused because the connection to the confirmation server failed.

Check the documentation concerning this issue at www.hikashop.com/index.php?option=com_up...pal-error#connection

I've read through the documentation and I can confirm that my hosting provider One.com do not offer SSL. Therefore I am stuck. Is this a legal requirement, a HikaShop setting or a PayPal requirement?

I don't really want to go through the whole process of finding a new provider and moving the site unless I really have to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13082
11 years 2 weeks ago #100123

We are not talking about a SSL certificate but about the openssl extension of PHP. Please check that with your hosting, it is indeed required to communicate with PayPal and it should normally be free for any hosting.

11 years 1 week ago #100307

Hi Nicolas,

This is the reply from One.com, either they do not understand or they really do not offer that service:

Thank you for contacting One.com. As per your inquiry, in the requirement sent by HikaShop that it requires the SSL or openssl enabled on the server, unfortunately this is not supported on our servers. If the HikaShop requires this to function then it will not work properly or fully on our server as that is the limitation of our servers.

11 years 1 week ago #100315

If they indeed do not support openssl on their servers then you won't be able to use PayPal on your website, whether with HikaShop or another ecommerce solution as PayPal requires that the IPN communication with them is done in SSL for security reasons.

11 years 1 week ago #100810

I borrowed your wording to write again to one.com support...

In that case if you indeed do not support openssl on your servers then you non of your clients won't be able to use PayPal on their website, with any ecommerce solution as PayPal requires that the IPN communication with them is done in SSL for security reasons. i have many sites with you and many of my clients are now asking to have shopping carts with PayPal. It will be unfortunate but that means I'll have to move them elsewhere.

...and I got this response:

I apologize but it seems the supporter was mistaken on the matter at hand. We don't support https, but we do support openssl on outgoing connections... it is supported you just need to add the code from paypal and make sure you setup the proper API and keys needed for it. This is all done on your Joomla panel and plugin you are using.

So now I've wasted a few more days, I'll try again to see if I can get the cart connecting to PayPal properly.

11 years 1 week ago #100833

OK, I'm back to where I started. I am still receiving the error:

A Paypal notification was refused because the connection to the confirmation server failed.

openssl is enabled and I have rechecked the settings for HikaShop PayPal plugin (attached screenshot).

Is there anywhere else I need to check settings? API? Keys?

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by agrfoto.

11 years 1 week ago #100862

No openSSL support is just one of the possibilities which could result in that error.
But there are other possibilities were this could happen and none are related to the settings of the PayPal plugin but usually to server/network restrictions.
For example, it is often caused by the hosting company blocking outgoing connections from the website to external URLs like the PayPal servers.
So that's also something you should check with your hosting company.

Also, you should open the payment log file that is available in the configuration of HikaShop in the "files" section. At the end of the log file, you should have information relative to the problem. If you could provide the whole file in private, we might be able to give you more information on why the connection couldn't be established.

11 years 1 week ago #100869

nicolas wrote: it is often caused by the hosting company blocking outgoing connections from the website to external URLs like the PayPal servers.
So that's also something you should check with your hosting company.

Already checked and they confirm they are not blocking outgoing connections.

Also, you should open the payment log file that is available in the configuration of HikaShop in the "files" section. At the end of the log file, you should have information relative to the problem. If you could provide the whole file in private, we might be able to give you more information on why the connection couldn't be established.

OK will send private message.

11 years 1 week ago #101017

Hi,

I can see the error:

Could not load any order for your notification 36

Which means that for some reason, the order with the id 36 for which this payment notification was received has been deleted on your shop and thus the order could not be confirmed.
Can you check that this order exist ?
Can you check that you have the same issue if you do a new order ? Does the order disappear at some point ?

11 years 5 days ago #101560

The order with id 36 does not exist. However each time I test this I do it by creating a new new order, I just made another (id 44) but the log file is still the same one and has not changed. It still says

Could not load any order for your notification 36

This order (id 44) is still there, and in fact the items are still in the shopping cart (although the payment has defaulted to Bank Transfer) even though I log out and log in. This suggests that the payment has not been made which is correct since payment did not go through.

Not sure why the payment log file report is not changing.

11 years 3 days ago #101811

Then it means that the debug option of the plugin is turned off or that HikaShop is not able to write in the log file because of an acess right issue.
Please check that the log file's permissions are 777 and that the option is turned on.

Since you get the email "A Paypal notification was refused because the connection to the confirmation server failed.", it means that the paypal plugin is definitely receiving the notifications so you should definitely get traces in the log file if the debug mode is turned on.

11 years 3 days ago #101825

I can confirm that :
Debug option is turned on.

Using ftp I have changed the permissions on these directories from 755 to 777
media/com_hikashop/upload/safe/
media/com_hikashop/upload/safe/logs/

I found one other log file in the /logs/ directory with today's date, it is not displayed in HikaShop config/files
It is 10.3Mb and is the cron log file I think.

I have made a new order (item 45) and still the log file is the same. I've attached screenshots.

Attachments:

11 years 2 days ago #102072

And did you receive a payment notification email for that order 45 ?

Form what you're saying, I would say no because I don't how you can get a payment notification email without the log file being updated.

11 years 1 day ago #102160

The buyer received an email with Subject:

Your order No. B4Z5 is now created at www.fotoprints.co.uk/

Admin received an email with Subject:

New order No. B4Z5 created on www.fotoprints.co.uk/

These arrived before payment was tried through Paypal sandbox.

After trying to pay I received email with Subject:

Paypal payment notification refused: Connection to Paypal failed for the order B4Z5

Is this correct for the Url in the PayPal plugin settings: www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc

10 years 11 months ago #102392

That is the correct URL for the PayPal sandbox yes.
The payment plugin is configured correctly.

Can you make sure that the report log file's permissions themselves are set to 777 and not just the folder ?

And again, this error normally comes from the server configuration. So modifying settings in HikaShop won't make sure notifications work.
That error email means that the plugin cannot connect to paypal. So it's either openssl missing, or outgoing connections not authorized or maybe your hosting is blocking the use of fsockopen (the function used for the connection to paypal) ? I don't see anything else possible frankly.

10 years 11 months ago #102483

Yes the report file is and was set to 777.

I shall once again write to one.com and ask if they are sure they are not blocking the use of fsockopen.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

10 years 11 months ago #102533

Reply from One.com support:

With regards to Openssl for outgoing connections, it is enabled by default. The same applies to "fsockopen", please try to use port 80 and check again. If you still face the same issue connecting to Paypal, kindly provide us the screenshot of your configuration including the error message.

• Thank you received: 4004
10 years 11 months ago #102666

Hi,

Something strange but, if you want to use SSL, you can't use the port 80 because HTTPS uses 443.
I guess that you have to write a little script to test if the server have the right to connect to the paypal server (in https) and have some logs/traces to determine why it does not work.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds