49kb jpeg images become 194kb images on upload

• Thank you received: 1
11 years 5 months ago #76131

The images on our website are loading very slowly. In an attempt to speed things up we resaved our 250kb images as 49kb images by greater jpeg compression. It made little or no difference. It transpired that the uploaded 49kb files became 194kb files after being uploaded via the product options in Admin. No size change was involved.

Example page

Two questions:

Is there a setting for the quality or compression of images in the admin and if so where?

Why are all the images on this site loading so slowly even though I am using a reliable 120mb connection? The speed is much the same on a 15mb connection.

Thanks for your help

Crispin

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by nikmackey. Reason: Error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4005
11 years 5 months ago #76193

Hi,

The original image is uploaded correctly in the server but the displayed image is a resized image.
It seams that you configure the shop to resize images with a 600px max width.
If your images are 600px width, you can access by FTP to your website and copy the original files to the "thumbnails" directory.

HikaShop use the PHP GD Library to making thumbnails, it is possible to set the compression level but we didn't but an HikaShop option for it.
I think that do not use the 600px thumbnails would be better because you can compress files with more settings than a simple compression level.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikmackey

• Thank you received: 1
11 years 5 months ago #76200

Thanks

I have been doing just that but I will look into settings for the GD function as my client will want to manage this himself and I don't think it would be a good idea to allow him near the FTP.

As it turns out there is a server issue as well.

Thank you for your help

Crispin

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds