Subcategories for Brands, Products and Categories

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 4 months ago #82154

I have a Brand, ABC Inc., that has several lines of products, Basic, 1st Edition, 2nd edition, etc. It is possible in the Brands listing to have subcategories under this brand?

Cordially

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2322
11 years 4 months ago #82428

I think the best way is to create category "brand" (under the branch 'product cateogry') and add sub categories inside, use the menu/module with this category.

11 years 4 months ago #82448

Xavier wrote: I think the best way is to create category "brand" (under the branch 'product cateogry') and add sub categories inside, use the menu/module with this category.

Thank you Xavier and that is exactly what I did. It was interesting trying to style the module content on the front end but I eventually figured it out.

There is one odd thing I am learning about HikaShop. When I click into Display > Modules Content I keep getting these unpublished modules that containg the text "Associated products listing for category listing menu..." that are unassigned to a Joomla module. By default they all use the "left" position. Here is the odd part. My template does not have a left position. But, the associated HikaShop module content displays, whether it is published or not. It has been an interesting learning curve trying to apply CSS styles to these HikaShop modules for display on the front end. Each and every time I must use almost all of the CSS path for the class.

Oh, and by the way, odd that this posting came from the HikaShop French site.

Again, thank you!

• Thank you received: 13071
11 years 4 months ago #82696

The modules are displayed by HikaShop inside the HikaShop main content, not by your template, which is why they work regardless of the publish state or position. Of course, you can publish them and assign them to a template position but then they would always display on your website and not in the main area, which is usually not what you want.

You don't need to use the full CSS path to customize the styles of HikaShop elements. There must probably be a simpler way to do your CSS changes, but anyway, if it already works...

For the posting notifications, that depends on the language of the user. Xavier was browsing the forum in French when he replied to you.

11 years 4 months ago #82782

nicolas wrote:
You don't need to use the full CSS path to customize the styles of HikaShop elements. There must probably be a simpler way to do your CSS changes, but anyway, if it already works...

Morning Nicholas,

Please don't get me wrong, I am not complaining by a long shot. It is that it forces me to rethink my CSS class specifity. It has more, I believe, to do with the naming conventions of classes in HikaShop.

For instance, on this page you will please note the white background. If I was designing an add-on template I would have the specifity for the class "hikashop_subcontainer hikashop_subcontainer_border". However, to address this item I must include the entirety of the class path and then trim it down, removing all the path information for a web page and the template specifics. In this case I would address the 127 class, or ID.

On this page to get the transparent background and drop shadow I addressed the following class:
div#hikashop_category_information_menu_127.hikashop_category_information div.hikashop_submodules div#hikashop_module_94.hikashop_module div#hikashop_category_information_module_94.hikashop_category_information div.hikashop_products_listing div.hikashop_products div.hikashop_product

Nothing else would work. And seeing that there are so many of these "numbered" classes used in HikaShop it has ballooned my custom CSS file's size. What was really needed was a way to shorten it to address just the "hikashop_subcontainer hikashop_subcontainer_border" portion. I had to use a similar workflow to address the drop shadow and border on the images in each category, sub-category, product, and sub-product. It made for a significant addition to the custom CSS file.

I've no idea how to make it work, other than in the manner I'm accomplishing it, but my thought is that the next time a major revision is contemplated, make the addressing of the classes easier to target. Make the untargetable class in the previous paragraph, targetable instead of having to address each numbered class with all of its sub-classes.

Just my two cents worth. B)

Cordially

• Thank you received: 13071
11 years 4 months ago #82965

Hi,

Just that CSS should do the same:
#hikashop_category_information_module_94 .hikashop_product{
}

And if it's for all the hikashop_product classes regardless of the module, just .hikashop_product{} is fine.
That's how we usually tell people to do when customizing CSS.

Now, depending on your template, and what you're trying to do, you might need to use the !important CSS system in the CSS definition but that's not really a problem for customizations...

11 years 4 months ago #83037

nicolas wrote: Just that CSS should do the same:
#hikashop_category_information_module_94 .hikashop_product{
}

And if it's for all the hikashop_product classes regardless of the module, just .hikashop_product{} is fine.
That's how we usually tell people to do when customizing CSS.

Now, depending on your template, and what you're trying to do, you might need to use the !important CSS system in the CSS definition but that's not really a problem for customizations...

Ah hah, I am definitely going to give that a shot. Now let's see if I can blow away my CSS file.

Thank you, thank you very much!!!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds