drop down listing for assigning menu items

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 3 months ago #86255

I know that we have discussed this before and you were not very receptive to the issue, however having spent a few weeks with the software I think it is important enough to try one more time to make you understand the issue.

When you use the software the way that we do, essentially assigning a menu item to every product to integrate it with stories, joomla breadcrumbs, etc.... your mechanism for assigning the product page to the menu item of a drop down list becomes unmanageable really quickly. There is no categorization, filter, search or drill down possible. Essentially you have to remember exactly what the product was called and search through the scrolling list. We find ourselves having to go back to the products listing to get the exact wording of a product in order to find it in the product page menu listing.

I would ask you to at least consider that there are a number of more effective ways of doing this. Take for example the joomla Article manager which allows you to not only search on key words, but to drill down using categories and authors. Or even the Joomla menu system which certainly isn't perfect but at least you can filter by key words. Even the linking systems in the editor allows you to drill down through categories to get to what you are looking for.

In fact, even in your own software, when creating products / categories etc... you do an excellent job of allowing filtering and drilling down through categories. I would say that your product creation section is pretty much perfect and if you simply implemented that in the menu area it would be great.

Imagine if all of joomla only offered scrolling lists. It would not be a very scalable management site.

My concern is that as we continue to add products, that this will become simply unusable as the scrolling list gets to 400 or 500 items.

Frankly, I am not sure why you don't see the problem.

I have attached an image in case I am not making myself clear on what exactly the problem is.

As always, thank you for your time.

Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13082
11 years 3 months ago #86418

Hi,

We are very well aware of the problem. The problem is not that we don't want to improve the interface. It's that like for any change, it takes time to do it.
We have hundreds of points on our todo list. Creating menu items for hundred of products is usually not something users do. It's usually used when you only have a small number of products and in that case, a dropdown is perfect. That's why we didn't do it yet, and focused on other things. But that doesn't mean that we don't want to change it.

We actually want to develop it during February for HikaShop 2.2. Next release of HikaShop, the 2.1, will be in one or two weeks, so the 2.2 should be around March.

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 3 months ago #86614

That's great. The last time I put this up I got the impression that you didn't think it was an issue. As long as I know you are aware and open to improvements, I am fine. We have been running an online store for over 10 years now, and I am hoping that we can stick with this implementation for a good long time.

Because of how we implement kits, options and so forth I imagine that we will push your software to where many people don't.

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds