Not sure how to deal with tax calculation

• Thank you received: 4
11 years 6 months ago #73508

HI,

I have a live site running for a while now and we have noticed that tax is being calculated in a way that is not correct for us ( probably correct to Hikashop though)

We have set Australia as a tax zone. Which means 10% GST on top of everything.

However, all our product prices already include GST and we don't need to have that added. We know we can turn off that extra 10% off by removing tax zone, but it would be good to be able to display GST at the checkout. But instead of adding another 10% to the order before shipping, we would like the GST to be shown as a separate line of the sum that makes those 10% of the total order before shipping. OR at least the price without GST.
We have quite a few products with several variants and many different price levels each, so it is not very practical for us to go back and adjust all prices.

What is the best solution for us in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21
11 years 6 months ago #73522

Hi fellow Aussie. I would export your products to a csv file and change all of your prices to ex tax and reimport them. Its not as big a job as it sounds because you can insert a new column and add a formula to recalculate the price (=existing price/1.1) and past that as a special past (amount only) into the price column. Delete the calculation column then import.

This means that if you decide to sell products to customers outside Australia the tax calc is taken care of automatically as is the display of tax on orders, invoices etc. You will find that accounting software etc will all work on ex prices so this is a good habit to get into.

Make sure you back up your site first of course.

• Thank you received: 13104
11 years 6 months ago #73720

@rodfarrell Thanks.

@gidgie You can simply run that query on your phpmyadmin:
UPDATE #__hkashop_price SET price_value = price_value/1.1;

11 years 6 months ago #74063

Yes you can. But I would never suggest anyone mess with their data via phpadmin unless I new their abilities. Either way, backup backup backup.

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by rodfarrell.

• Thank you received: 4
11 years 6 months ago #74074

Thanks everyone for the input. However, the client ( who as always has the last say) wants prices of the product to remain as they are - where tax is already included and is not specified.
They just want different presentation of prices on the invoice...
i have a bad feeling that I will have to hack hikashop yet again!! :laugh: :laugh:

11 years 6 months ago #74107

Changing the price to ex tax doesn't change the way it is presented on the site. The customer will still see the inc price if you choose that setting, its only the invoice that then shows the tax amount separately.

• Thank you received: 13104
11 years 6 months ago #74176

In each module/menu's hikashop options, you can select the option "show taxed prices" to "without taxes" and the prices displayed will be the prices without taxes. There is a similar option on the configuration for the product page.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds