Tax exempt

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 1 week ago #49121

Hi,
The general rule in my country is that everybody pay taxes ;However, there are certain people who are tax exempt. and they have to prove that with certain documents.
I will ask for the documents upon registration and if they are exempt then I will add them to a special user group i created.

my question is how to make the tax exempt user group as tax exempt?

i created a new tax category with 0 tax but how to add a new customer type to apply this tax category ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 week ago #49158

I can see on demo site there is an "Access level" parameter for Only HikaShop Business , I guess I can use this to assign a zero tax category to the tax exempt user group to make them exempt.
will this work?

Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by ghaithge.

• Thank you received: 13100
12 years 1 week ago #49244

Here is what you can do:
Edit the address_vat field via the Display>Custom fields area and change it to a yes/no dropdown with no having an empty value. Publish it but turn off the front end display. Then, deactivate the VAT number check in the configuration.
Then, in your tax rules, select that the tax rules do not apply to companies with a vat number (you might need to create several tax rules, one for each other customer type, ie. individuals and companies without a vat number).

When you create a user in the back end of hikashop and enter his address, you will have that vat number option displayed and if you turn it on, the tax rules won't apply to him.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaithge

12 years 1 week ago #49326

I tried what you suggested however my tax rules do not work any more !! please help.

my site is merc2.cloudaccess.net/administrator/

user/pwd *************

Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by nicolas.

12 years 1 week ago #49373

You changed the "Default address type" in the configuration where you shouldn't have changed it.
You also didn't create any tax rules for individuals as I told you to.

I've done it for you and it's working again.

12 years 1 week ago #49389

Thank you for your help,

Now anybody with YES in the VAT field in the address will be exempt . Right ?? please confirm.

I did not understand your comment below as I could not find any other place to make suggested changes.

nicolas wrote: You changed the "Default address type" in the configuration where you shouldn't have changed it.{/quote]

How can i fix that?

12 years 1 week ago #49431

Yes, that should do that.

I fixed that option for you. When you open the configuration page of HikaShop, it's one of the first options.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaithge

12 years 1 week ago #49440

Hello Nicolas,
I still cannot see taxes.
if i log in as a registered user taxes disappear while if not logged in taxes are correct!!!
should i change anything in tax rules ?

Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by ghaithge.

12 years 1 week ago #49443

Your address must be in the zone where you set your tax rules. Otherwise, the taxes will be removed.

12 years 1 week ago #49448

recreated the zones and recreated the tax rules and now It worked fine Thank you for your help

11 years 11 months ago #52650

Hi.

How can I make a tax exempt rule based on the shop ammount? In some cases like in the Massachusetts state you are exempt of paying VAT for shoppings amounts of 175 or less. How can I configure that kind of taxation rule?

11 years 11 months ago #52656

I didn't know that this was possible.
There is no option for that.
You might be able to achieve that with a price calculation override plugin (developers only):
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...tation.html#override

The following user(s) said Thank You: avillegas

11 years 10 months ago #55782

nicolas wrote: Here is what you can do:
Edit the address_vat field via the Display>Custom fields area and change it to a yes/no dropdown with no having an empty value. Publish it but turn off the front end display. Then, deactivate the VAT number check in the configuration.
Then, in your tax rules, select that the tax rules do not apply to companies with a vat number (you might need to create several tax rules, one for each other customer type, ie. individuals and companies without a vat number).

When you create a user in the back end of hikashop and enter his address, you will have that vat number option displayed and if you turn it on, the tax rules won't apply to him.

Hi,

I am in charge of setting-up and running two individual websites, both of which I am running the Business version of HikaShop. On one of the websites, I have the same situation as the original poster of this thread. I have some questions.

1. a)Should I follow the suggestion listed in the quoted text?

b) Or should I follow the suggestion given in the last post of this thread...
www.hikashop.com/en/forum/4-how-to/6642-...rand-total.html#6642

c) Or do you suggest anything else? Also note I am running Business.

2. In the Custom Fields, I went ahead and changed the label for address_vat to "Sales Tax Exempt"

3. If I do continue to follow the quoted text from this thread, can you please explain a little more how to make a "yes/no dropdown with no having an empty value"? And what value should yes have in it? So far, I have changed the Field Type to Single Dropdown, made Values of...

Value Title
No
Yes Yes

...and made the Default Value = No. Do I need to do more? I am not completely clear on what this is supposed to accomplish.

4. Again, if I follow the quoted text, will the following single tax rule be enough for me....
Pennsylvania | PA Tax Category | Pennsylvania (6%) | Individual

Thank you very much for your support.

11 years 10 months ago #55830

Hi,

1.The questions between the two posts are a bit different. That is why the solution is a bit different. If you have the same requirements as the user on this thread, then you should follow the recommendations of this thread :)

3. It should be setup differently. The No should be in the "title" column, not the "value" column.
Having an empty value for no is like if the user didn't enter a VAT number. Where if you set the option to yes for an address, it will be like if the user had entered a VAT number.
That will allow you to discriminate your tax rules based on the customer types "companies without a vat number" and "companies with a vat number".

4. Yes, that should be enough. Make sure that the tax rule is published. That tax rule will only apply to users if the "Sales Tax Exempt" of the user's address is turned off and if his address is in Pennsylvania for products with the "PA tax category" assigned to them.

11 years 10 months ago #55922

I think I have this working correctly. Thank you for you help!!!

10 years 7 months ago #124408

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to Hikashop and have tried this on my site.

On first test (flagging the customer as No, and therefore no value in the vat_address) it created the order properly, emailed everything to me.

Second test, Deleted the customer from the Customer menu, after removing their order:(flagging the customer as Yes, and therefore value=Yes in the vat_address) it calculated the tax properly but I could no longer complete the checkout.

Closed the browser and cleared cache and tried again, this time I decided to publish vat_address to the frontend and renamed it "Status as First Nation" (in Canada they are tax exempt) then going through the registration process I tried to enter the customer again and it tells me I need to enter a value for the vat_address and if I choose anything other than Yes, it keeps repeating to enter a value in vat_address (this is on both the front end and back end)

Edit:
I found part of the issue was related to the vat_address being set as required, once I removed that it would update and allow me to register.
Found another issue though, once the vat_address receives a value (by selecting the Yes from the drop down, where the value=yes) this cannot be undone for that address. To remove the entry the address must be deleted and re-entered as No (from the drop down, where the value= ).
Is there another way to remove the value from vat_address?

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Roym. Reason: Further information found

10 years 7 months ago #124575

You should change the type of your custom field from "multiple dropdown" to "single dropdown".

10 years 7 months ago #124579

Hi,
I did try that, and tried Radio Button, still no luck. I realize the first issue was because setting it as required, meant the field needs a value, and of course choosing No had no associated value.

But changing that type made no difference during testing.

10 years 7 months ago #124637

We don't have the problem on our end. Which version/edition of HikaShop are you using ?

10 years 7 months ago #125379

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.2.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.1.1
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.18
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : IE 10, FireFox 24.0

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds