Updating Hikashop

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 11 months ago #16999

Hi, first of all awesome program :)

I've just updated from 1.49 to 1.5. It was my understanding that when you updated the program, all of the settings etc were retained. However everything seems to have reset to defaults (currency, language pack edits etc).

Luckily this wasn't a huge problem since I haven't made many changes so far, so not much was lost.

I updated by downloading the zip file from the update page within the hikashop admin section. I then uploaded this to the install module section. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Phil

Create your own style of luxury bespoke furniture online
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by plantpotphil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13075
12 years 11 months ago #17001

Hi,

That's indeed the case, everything is retained during updates, provided that you modify things accordingly to our recommendations.
For example, for the language file, you should NOT modify the translation file directly but use the override area in order to override the translations you want to change. That override area won't be removed but the default translation file of hikashop will be updated:
www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify

Currencies are not reseted. But if you delete currencies, they will be re inserted automatically during an update. Instead of removing them, you should unpublish them.

Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by nicolas.

12 years 11 months ago #17003

Hi Nicolas, that's strange since I had edited the language using the method on http://www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify .

The same for currencies, I had unpublished Euros and USD and set GBP as default. After the update it was set to Euros and USD and GBP was unpublished.

for example, if you look at deadlink, I had changed the Shopping Cart module language string from "The cart is empty" to "Your cart is empty". However, now it is reset to "The cart is empty".

I've just tried changing the language file again (via the method you advise) and updated to 1.5 again and it's done the same thing. Any idea why this might happen?

Phil

Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by plantpotphil. Reason: removed deadlink

12 years 11 months ago #17004

I don't see how that could happen. No one had such problem so far in more than six months so there is no reason it would start now.

There is no code in HikaShop which would be able to delete the currencies during the install. It's just not possible.
Same for the override file.
There must be something else to it...

12 years 11 months ago #17005

OK nicolas, that's fair enough! i'll have a look and see what's going on, must be something funny at my end.

Thanks for your help,

12 years 11 months ago #17007

I've just noticed I'm getting an error when saving the language file:

"Could not save the file /public_html/language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini"

Even though the language file does seem to save the changes, this must be the problem when updateing Hikashop.

I've just tried setting that file's poermissions to 777 and the error message still comes up. Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Phil

12 years 11 months ago #17009

The language file will be saved even with that error message, but the override won't.
If it says it can't save the file, then it must be an access right issue on that file. You should make sure that the owner of the file is the web server user as it can happen that the web server is not able to write in a file, even though it's 777, if it's not the owner of the file.

12 years 11 months ago #17045

:blush: ...I've just noticed why this is happening ...I was editing the text in the top text area rather than the box below (the "Override" section).

I'm using a laptop with a small(ish) resolution and the lightbox displaying this text actually didnt show up the overide section.

Feel a bit stupid now! Thanks for your help though. I guess this post might help people who have small screens and small brains in the future

Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by plantpotphil.

12 years 11 months ago #17057

I'm glad you figured it out !

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds