Orders vs Invoices and order number vs invoice num
13 years 8 months ago #87187
by cpaschen
Orders vs Invoices and order number vs invoice num was created by cpaschen
I understand the 'legalities' of other countries related to orders and invoices; however, here in the US having different order numbers and invoice numbers is confusing end users.
I need to have one number used on all forms.
I was able to just disable the invoices from being generated (so all users see is their 'order') however, that leaves me without some functionality.
Is there any way to go back to having just one number that is used for both orders and invoices?
(Even if I need to modify the output layouts to just display the 'order number' on the invoice.)
What are others using in the US that want a single 'number' throughout the process?
I need to have one number used on all forms.
I was able to just disable the invoices from being generated (so all users see is their 'order') however, that leaves me without some functionality.
Is there any way to go back to having just one number that is used for both orders and invoices?
(Even if I need to modify the output layouts to just display the 'order number' on the invoice.)
What are others using in the US that want a single 'number' throughout the process?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 8 months ago #87339
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Orders vs Invoices and order number vs invoice num
Hi,
The invoice number is generated only for the statuses that are in the option "Invoice order statuses" of the configuration.
Leave that field blank and the invoice number won't be generated and the system will always use the order number.
The invoice number is generated only for the statuses that are in the option "Invoice order statuses" of the configuration.
Leave that field blank and the invoice number won't be generated and the system will always use the order number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cpaschen
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #87483
by cpaschen
Replied by cpaschen on topic Orders vs Invoices and order number vs invoice num
OK ... now it makes sense.
However, if I don't make a change there, then everything stays displaying as 'order'.
It would be nice to have the ability to make that change (i.e. setting when an order becomes an invoice) but yet having the same number used.
Probably easiest way would be to just add a new 'option' i the "Invoice Number format' field for something like {ordid size="5"} that would allow us to pull in the numbering sequence from the number generated for the order number (although without the 'format' of the order.
So that we could enter:
for the order number format
and then something like:
for the invoice number format and have the actual "id" number be the same for the invoice as is in the order.
I know .... it would require more coding.
But right now, the only thing I can do is to now go in and change all the if/else in the order/show template so that it prints "INVOICE" instead of order always.
It would be much better if I could just make it display "Invoice" when the order is actually completed. But it doesn't appear I can do that AND keep the same base number.
However, if I don't make a change there, then everything stays displaying as 'order'.
It would be nice to have the ability to make that change (i.e. setting when an order becomes an invoice) but yet having the same number used.
Probably easiest way would be to just add a new 'option' i the "Invoice Number format' field for something like {ordid size="5"} that would allow us to pull in the numbering sequence from the number generated for the order number (although without the 'format' of the order.
So that we could enter:
Code:
ORD-{date format="m-d-Y"}-{id size="5"}
for the order number format
and then something like:
Code:
INV-{date format="m-d-Y"}-{ordid size="5"}
for the invoice number format and have the actual "id" number be the same for the invoice as is in the order.
I know .... it would require more coding.
But right now, the only thing I can do is to now go in and change all the if/else in the order/show template so that it prints "INVOICE" instead of order always.
It would be much better if I could just make it display "Invoice" when the order is actually completed. But it doesn't appear I can do that AND keep the same base number.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by cpaschen.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 7 months ago #87708
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Orders vs Invoices and order number vs invoice num
What you're suggesting is actually almost possible.
You can use the tag {order_id} to get the order id.
However, you can't choose the size for it as only the id parameter can handle it.
You can use the tag {order_id} to get the order id.
However, you can't choose the size for it as only the id parameter can handle it.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds