- Posts: 44
- Thank you received: 1
Import of related products data
14 years 5 months ago #48737
by PhilP
Import of related products data was created by PhilP
Hi,
I have just been updating our site, in particular with new 'related products'.
We several hundred of these to do so I created an import file and, just for convenience, organised it with a format similar to the simplified one below:
product_code,related
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2180058
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2214419
Although the above import correctly attaches both related products to the main product, it completely erases pretty much everything else, including:
The product name
The product description
The product category
The product image
etc etc
However,the following format works fine, keeping all the other product information intact:
product_code,related
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2180058;TD_2214419
I have used related product imports before but each line has started with a new product code, not a repeat of the same product code. That type of import also works fine.
The problem seems to be where the product code is a repeat of the line that precedes it. It behaves the same whether the import is from CSV or from the text area.
Regards
PhilP
I have just been updating our site, in particular with new 'related products'.
We several hundred of these to do so I created an import file and, just for convenience, organised it with a format similar to the simplified one below:
product_code,related
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2180058
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2214419
Although the above import correctly attaches both related products to the main product, it completely erases pretty much everything else, including:
The product name
The product description
The product category
The product image
etc etc
However,the following format works fine, keeping all the other product information intact:
product_code,related
xxTest_Product_Top2,TD_2180058;TD_2214419
I have used related product imports before but each line has started with a new product code, not a repeat of the same product code. That type of import also works fine.
The problem seems to be where the product code is a repeat of the line that precedes it. It behaves the same whether the import is from CSV or from the text area.
Regards
PhilP
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 4 months ago #48777
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Import of related products data
Yes, you should not have several times the same product in your CSV.
Otherwise, it won't work properly, regardless of what you're trying to import.
You never need or should have more than one line of information per product in your CSV.
Otherwise, it won't work properly, regardless of what you're trying to import.
You never need or should have more than one line of information per product in your CSV.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 4 months ago #48879
by PhilP
Replied by PhilP on topic Re: Import of related products data
OK Nicolas - thanks.
Now I know, I can work with it.
It would be useful to have a warning about this in the user documentation the next time you update it.
Regards
PhilP
Now I know, I can work with it.
It would be useful to have a warning about this in the user documentation the next time you update it.
Regards
PhilP
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 4 months ago #48898
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Import of related products data
Yes. We'll add that warning.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds