Media Mail Questions for the USPS Plugin
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
-- HikaShop version -- : 3.5.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.12
Hello,
I wanted to see how I can setup the USPS Plugin to allow Media Mail as an option ONLY for books.
The US Postal Service will only allow Media Mail for book shipping, and a lot of the items on my site are not books, but I do carry a few. As such, my customers are constantly requesting this feature as it will save them around $10.00 on average for shipping.
I've looked, and I don't see a way to list a product for a specific shipping option, as well as I don't see a specific option in the shipping plugin for this either...but the option for media mail is there.
Is there a way to get media mail to be a selection for books only?
Thanks
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Sure but the solution will be to :
- Create a warehouses via "Hikashop->System->Warehouses"
- Add that warehouse trough every "Book" products configuration page
- Create and configure a new USPS shipping method specialized in the "Media mail" service
- Set it's warehouse to the "Book" warehouse
It will enable your new shipping method to only be used with book products.
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Sorry for the VERY late reply in getting this going. I've had a lot of unfortunate circumstances of late in the family.
So, I've got this working...but, there's a small issue I hope can be resolved ASAP.
When putting books in to the "book warehouse"...Media Mail is delectable. Problem is, if I add something that is NOT in the "book warehouse"...I then get 2 separated shipping methods as shown in the attached image.
I understand why it would separate out because of the "book warehouse" and the non warehouse one...but, BOTH could be shipped via Priority Mail together.
How can I get it do combine the items using Priority Mail? If a customer were to choose priority mail in this setup, they would be charged a total of $17.15 rather than a single charge of $9.80 (which is what the items combined should be.
Thank you!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Sorry for the VERY late reply in getting this going. I've had a lot of unfortunate circumstances of late in the family
No problem, our support is always open. I hope everything is going fine for you !
How can I get it do combine the items using Priority Mail? If a customer were to choose priority mail in this setup, they would be charged a total of $17.15 rather than a single charge of $9.80 (which is what the items combined should be.
The problem is that product which are part of different warehouses can't be shipped together.
If using warehouses doesn't suit your needs, another solution can eventually be to prevent the "media mail" shipping method when a product which isn't a book is on your cart.
You'll be able to do it by :
- Setting the "Use price per product" option of your "medial mail" shipping method to YES
- Going to none book products configuration page
- Use options of the "Shipping prices" tab of your products configuration pages
- Check the "Blocked" check box for the "media mail" shipping method.
If it still doesn't suit your need, you'll probably have to directly edit the code of the UPS shipping plugin.
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Mohamed Thelji wrote: Hello,
- Going to none book products configuration page
- Use options of the "Shipping prices" tab of your products configuration pages
- Check the "Blocked" check box for the "media mail" shipping method.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
If you can't find any "shipping prices" tab through your product pages, then that means that you didn't set the "Use shipping price per product" option to YES through your shipping configuration page.
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
How can I mass action ALL of my products to block that Media Mail shipping, then go back in for the few books I offer and change those?
I've got about 2000 items that CANNOT go out media mail, so updating those individually would just not be an option.
Thank you!!!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
The mass action can't change the content of the "Hikashop_shipping_prices" table, so the solution will either be to do it manually or to write a PHP script which will launch SQL request to add all of these information through "Hikashop_shipping_prices" table for each products which isn't part of the "book" product category.
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Mohamed Thelji wrote: Hello,
The mass action can't change the content of the "Hikashop_shipping_prices" table, so the solution will either be to do it manually or to write a PHP script which will launch SQL request to add all of these information through "Hikashop_shipping_prices" table for each products which isn't part of the "book" product category.
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji
Mohamed, I've got the slightest clue on how to write that, so I will need to hire someone to do it. Do you guys offer that kind of service or can recommend someone who can?
Thank you
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Sure, can you send us a message with a link to that thread using our contact form so that we can give you an estimation ? Thank you.
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Mohamed Thelji wrote: Hello,
Sure, can you send us a message with a link to that thread using our contact form so that we can give you an estimation ? Thank you.
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html
Kind regards,
Mohamed Thelji.
Man...you're the best! I'll try to get that over tonight or tomorrow!
Thank you Mohamed!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dragon41673
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.