How to change a product variant to a main product?
- eMicroMart
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
12 years 10 months ago #133661
by eMicroMart
How to change a product variant to a main product? was created by eMicroMart
For example,
I have a t-shirt with 3 sizes L, XL, XXL
So, I created product characteristics which are L, XL, XXL
Then, I assigned a price, a picture, etc. for each characteristic.
One day, users made a complain that it is hard to compare a price for each characteristic because they have to choose the size dropdown first to see a price for each size.
Imagine, if you have 12 characteristics, so your customers need to change the dropdown 12 times to see all prices. In addition, customers need a pen and a piece of paper to note all prices if they want to compare.
Moreover, if I add a new size for this t-shirt, my customers won't see the new size in a product display page until they click the "choose options" button first.
For the reasons above, I want to move all variants to become all main products. So I will have 3 products ( t-shirt L / t-shirt XL / t-shirt XXL) in stead of 1 product with 3 characteristics.
I don't want to delete all variants and add a new product one by one because it is a time-consuming task. What is the easiest way to do so?
PS. I tried to change product_parent_id = 0 and product_type = "main" on hikashop_product table but it doesn't work :dry:
I have a t-shirt with 3 sizes L, XL, XXL
So, I created product characteristics which are L, XL, XXL
Then, I assigned a price, a picture, etc. for each characteristic.
One day, users made a complain that it is hard to compare a price for each characteristic because they have to choose the size dropdown first to see a price for each size.
Imagine, if you have 12 characteristics, so your customers need to change the dropdown 12 times to see all prices. In addition, customers need a pen and a piece of paper to note all prices if they want to compare.
Moreover, if I add a new size for this t-shirt, my customers won't see the new size in a product display page until they click the "choose options" button first.
For the reasons above, I want to move all variants to become all main products. So I will have 3 products ( t-shirt L / t-shirt XL / t-shirt XXL) in stead of 1 product with 3 characteristics.
I don't want to delete all variants and add a new product one by one because it is a time-consuming task. What is the easiest way to do so?
PS. I tried to change product_parent_id = 0 and product_type = "main" on hikashop_product table but it doesn't work :dry:
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
12 years 10 months ago #133681
by Mohamed Thelji
Replied by Mohamed Thelji on topic How to change a product variant to a main product?
Hi,
A solution can be to :
- Export your products through a CSV file by using the "export" button through "Hikashop->Products"
- Edit this CSV file by adding your new products lines
- Importing your CSV file again.
A solution can be to :
- Export your products through a CSV file by using the "export" button through "Hikashop->Products"
- Edit this CSV file by adding your new products lines
- Importing your CSV file again.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- eMicroMart
-
Topic Author
- Offline
12 years 10 months ago #133705
by eMicroMart
Replied by eMicroMart on topic How to change a product variant to a main product?
I have followed your instruction but I don't know how to edit the csv in order to solve my problem :dry:
moreover, it is very hard to read the csv file. So, I tried to convert text to column (separated by semicolon) but data in each column goes from bad to worse :sick:
another question, do I need to delete all products before importing the csv file?
Do you have other solutions to solve this problem? SQL script?
moreover, it is very hard to read the csv file. So, I tried to convert text to column (separated by semicolon) but data in each column goes from bad to worse :sick:
another question, do I need to delete all products before importing the csv file?
Do you have other solutions to solve this problem? SQL script?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
12 years 10 months ago #133714
by Mohamed Thelji
Replied by Mohamed Thelji on topic How to change a product variant to a main product?
1. No importing this CSV file will only add the products/variants that you currently don't have in your website.
2. Using a CSV file will be easier than doing it by using SQL requests.
2. Using a CSV file will be easier than doing it by using SQL requests.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds